It has long been a problem to access pictures and other media that reside in the BlackBerry's Device Memory. It cannot be 'got at' with your PC. Here's a way to access these files using the BlackBerry Backup file produced by Desktop Manager.

My method uses the ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor which sells for $19.95 but comes with a 30 day trial and the ability to export 15 items at a time - hehe.

THE METHOD
    • Do a Backup using Device Manager
    • Remember where the Backup file is located as it will be used very soon. The Backup file has the naming convention
      Backup-(2008-10-11).ipd.
    • Open the file with ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter and select Pictues.
    • Save up to 15 pics at a time to disk. That's the limit imposed by the trialware.
    • Repeat this with any other media that you have in Device Memory.
    • Once you have verified that your media is safe on your PC, you may delete it from the phone (please make sure that it really is safe in a PC folder before you start deleting).
    This resolves a very annoying problem. SInce most people only need to do this once, they do not need to buy the product.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-11-08 at 01:06 PM.
    10-11-08 10:12 AM
    Howdy Pete,

Very nice tip for anyone wanting to save all those default apps or things things they downloaded to the device.
    10-11-08 12:57 PM
    Note for Bold users. Device memory IS accessible direct from PC.

Tested and verified with
    OS 4.6.0.162
    Desktop Manager 4.6.0.12 (for USB drivers?)

(I had DM already loaded and used, but I suspect the drivers required are made available when DM is installed)

** With Desktop Manager NOT running on the PC**

Connect the Bold by USB to an available PC port. Wait for USB drivers to load if necesssary.

Watch the Bold screen. When a prompt appears 'Do you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode?' select YES

One or two new drive letters will appear in My Computer and Windows Explorer. These will be the Device memory, and (if media card is present) the Media card.

Simple as that.
    BBMINI likes this.
    10-11-08 03:46 PM
    what about doing this for mac??
    how can i access my device memory pics on my desktop manager?
    i need to move them either onto my sd card or to my laptop,.
    ta
    01-11-11 01:46 PM
    Note for Bold users. Device memory IS accessible direct from PC.

Tested and verified with
    OS 4.6.0.162
    Desktop Manager 4.6.0.12 (for USB drivers?)

(I had DM already loaded and used, but I suspect the drivers required are made available when DM is installed)

** With Desktop Manager NOT running on the PC**

Connect the Bold by USB to an available PC port. Wait for USB drivers to load if necesssary.

Watch the Bold screen. When a prompt appears 'Do you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode?' select YES

One or two new drive letters will appear in My Computer and Windows Explorer. These will be the Device memory, and (if media card is present) the Media card.

Simple as that.
    I had known I could see my Bold's Memory Card through a USB connection, but I never had realized you could also see/access the actual Device folders and info. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just a report from my experience (on BB OS 5.975 and Windows 7):
    I have a password on my Bold, so when the "Mass Storage Mode Being Activated" message popped up, I just had to enter my device password for it to continue.

I had just one Drive letter (called "BLACKBERRY E:") in Windows Explorer, but it seemed that the various folders under that Drive represented both the Device (App World, Downloads, System, etc) and Memory Card info (music, pictures, videos, etc).

Sorry if we've hijacked the OP's thread a bit, but it's still all worthwhile info. Thx again.
    01-11-11 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD