I have a BlackBerry Bold 9000 running a social data plan, which gives me unlimited access to select social apps such as BBM, Facebook, Twitter, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, etc, which all function via BIS.

The only issue is that I am only able to use the apps when on a 3G/carrier network connection. If I am connected to WiFi, and switch off the mobile network, or leave a coverage area (but am connected to WiFi), I can no longer use any of those apps. 3rd party apps that can use WiFi, Hotspot Browser, and App World work on WiFi, but none of the social apps including BBM work on WiFi.

I read that the WiFi logo should turn white when connected to BIS, but instead, it's translucent grey at all times. I called my carrier, Telus, to ask if they support BIS over WiFi, and they said they do not formally support WiFi, but that the social apps should work over WiFi fine.

The Social plan is a popular plan in Canada, and is offered by all major Canadian carriers. The plan details are in the left column here: telusmobility.com/en/ON/data_add_ons/index.shtml

Does anyone have any insight on how to get BIS working on WiFi, or has anyone had this issue resolved?
    09-22-10 11:29 PM
    I'm on Rogers (also with the Social Plan) and it works fine for me. It could be an outage, though! But try going to Options > Mobile Network, and make sure that "Data Services" is set to "on". Also try it with different wireless routers, some routers DO block BIS services over Wi-fi.
    10-09-10 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD