How do I know if the PIN is free, I mean, able to be registered for service, when I buy a 2nd hand blackberry, for example, from eBay?

If the device is unlocked and my SIM chip already has some kind of data plan, when I put it in the BB will it work? How can I tell if I will be able to register it so I can get push email and the other stuff?
    09-15-09 02:15 PM
    Just put the SIM in and try to register the device for email through the setup wizard. If it works it works.

Trying to find out if a PIN is free before buying can be a trick, sometimes the carriers will not release that information to anyone but the owner of the contract.
    09-15-09 02:27 PM
    Call your carrier and ask.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 02:27 PM
    Call your carrier and ask.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The device is supposed to be unlocked, but it isn't from my carrier originally.
    The owner seems not to be sure about it thou.
    09-15-09 02:29 PM
    Just put the SIM in and try to register the device for email through the setup wizard. If it works it works.

Trying to find out if a PIN is free before buying can be a trick, sometimes the carriers will not release that information to anyone but the owner of the contract.
    I've never done this before, care for a fast walkthrough?
    (I so wish I had time to post this earlier today...)
    09-15-09 02:30 PM
    I've never done this before, care for a fast walkthrough?
    (I so wish I had time to post this earlier today...)
    When you get the device, there's a setup wizard to get the device registered. I really can't remember all the steps as it's been over a year since I did it last, but just find that icon, follow the steps and set it up. It will either register the device ro tell you it's already registered.

Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe someone here has more recent experience and knows the exact steps.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-15-09 02:33 PM
    When you get the device, there's a setup wizard to get the device registered. I really can't remember all the steps as it's been over a year since I did it last, but just find that icon, follow the steps and set it up. It will either register the device ro tell you it's already registered.

Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe someone here has more recent experience and knows the exact steps.
    No Radius, really, this should do! Find the wizard icon, run it. I hope it checks the PIN 1st of all as I don't have BIS yet! Thanks!

If you guys can come out with more details, I'll be happy to take any advice you can offer!

PS: I won a copy of Money for Blackberry wooooo!
    09-15-09 02:40 PM
    If you know which carrier the BB was originally on (more than likely the name imprinted on the phone) and know the PIN number, you should be able to call up that carrier and see if the PIN has been freed.
    09-15-09 02:46 PM
    If you know which carrier the BB was originally on (more than likely the name imprinted on the phone) and know the PIN number, you should be able to call up that carrier and see if the PIN has been freed.
    Hey again!

I got the PIN #, it's xxxxxxxx. Xopher, I'll do as you say and check with them, thanks.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-04-11 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Rofl I was such a noob back then... posting PIN numbers and all...
    09-16-09 02:03 PM
    diegonei - you should be able to register with no issues with your carrier...your biggest issue is if the phone is labeled as stolen...assuming you have activated it you should be fine.

H
    diegonei likes this.
    09-16-09 03:05 PM
    diegonei - you should be able to register with no issues with your carrier...your biggest issue is if the phone is labeled as stolen...assuming you have activated it you should be fine.

H
    harnak, no need to worry about that at least! I bought it from the owner and got the original receipt (He paid $1,106.80 for it! ). But thanks a lot for the tip and the concern!

I was only concerned because he had no idea if the PIN was in use or not, but after a few questions (such as 'got email pushed' and 'BIS or BES') it was clear he was operating with a data plan, not BIS, so the PIN (and all the services BBs got famous for) never were used.

Plan is to refurb this lil maniac monster and force it down mum's throat by January (when I get my trackpadded BB) as she refuses to see how a Blackberry can make her life easier.
    09-17-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD