Guys, i just play around with the settings in my Tour. i just found out that i have no idea about the GPS' Setting. can you please help with explaining what are these:

GPS Data Source:
    - Device GPS

GPS Services:
    - Location On
    - E911 Only

Location Data:
    - Enabled
    - Disabled
    - Disabled While Roaming

Location Aiding:
    - Enabled
    - Disabled
    - Disabled While Roaming

The only thing i can guess is "GPS Data Source". please correct me if i'm wrong, this option let me choose whether i want to use the GPS built inside Tour and with Bluetooth GPS Receiver if i'm pairing it to my Tour.

else than that i absolutely have no idea.
    02-07-10 10:57 PM
    The data source is the phones gps hardware, E911 is for emergency and location on is how gps apps track your location. Also location aiding helps find your location faster when its enabled.
    02-07-10 11:12 PM
    what do you mean by E911 = for emergency? sorry i don't quite get it. will it work only on certain countries or how?
    02-08-10 12:03 AM
    GPS Services: Do you want only the 911 operator to be able to access your location, or do you want your gps apps to be able to use it? For example, you might have an app that tracks your position. Some people are paranoid and do not want people to be able to track them, but the E911 is there so that if you turn tracking off, the 911 operator can still locate you.

Location Data: The phone stores data about your location from time to time. This way, when you need your location, it'll be able to narrow down your location quicker (if you've been hanging out in Chinatown, it'll figure you're within a certain distance of Chinatown, rather than out in the suburbs).

Location Aiding: Uses cell-tower triangulation to locate your position. While the GPS is honing in on 12-16 satellites, your phone can use several of the nearby cell towers to locate your position. If the nearest couple of cell towers report that they are downtown cell towers, then you're probably in downtown. Thus, it can pinpoint you down to around a 1600 meter radius (random number), and once GPS has your coordinates, it'll be able to show your exact location.
    02-08-10 12:08 AM
    Take it off emergency only and turn it to location on. Then you can use your gps on blackberry maps and google maps. ANd you'll have turn by turn directions. NO reason to only have 911 use it unless you have some hacker following you or something. And it's still unlikely. They really should come with it set to ON. Because everyone I know who gets one argues with me that their blackberry doesn't have gps and I have to show them.
    02-08-10 05:17 AM
    thanks for the help guys. now i get a clearer picture of it. by the way is it possible if i use bluetooth gps receiver? since the GPS chip is better compare to the one built inside the phone i think.
    02-10-10 11:07 PM
    I have not tried using my old (for 8830) BT gps with the Tour. I think it may work if paired, the Tour might show options for the other gps but I don't know for sure. I was going to ship it back to England for a new battery but then got the tour and didn't proceed.
    02-11-10 12:32 AM
    Yes, if you pair an additional GPS device to your phone, you can use it with google maps or telenav or other gps apps. All you have to do is go into settings and change the GPS data source from the onboard chip to which ever device is paired. This even works with other blackberry's.

Found this out when transferring some ringtones to my friends Bold. It listed his phone in the GPS data sources.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 12:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD