What are the benefits of using the e-mail given to you by BIS as compared to the one given to you by your carrier?

For example: att gives you [email protected]

You send e-mails to that, and it forwards directly to your phone. You don't get attachments, but is that the only benefit of a BIS e-mail service?

What e-mail attachments are even viewable on your blackberry device?
    12-31-11 06:10 AM
    I prefer to use a third party email, like GMail, instead of the BIS provided email. If BIS goes down, there is no way to check that email account on a computer. If you change providers, you lose that email account. I see more cons than pros, so I opt to not even use it.
    12-31-11 06:53 AM
    What are the benefits of using the e-mail given to you by BIS as compared to the one given to you by your carrier?

You send e-mails to that, and it forwards directly to your phone. You don't get attachments, but is that the only benefit of a BIS e-mail service?

[email protected]

is an email account made for access to texts, and image files sent to your phone, Recieving images via that address could result in MMS fees if you don't have unlimited access,

your [email protected] address is directly pushed to your blackberry, and theoretically is the fastest pushed email, though the milliseconds different don't really make a difference,

Both addresses are of little use due to lack of web interface.

as for which attachments are viewable on my blackberry
    .pdf, .doc(x) .xls(s), .jpg .png, .mp3 are all attachments I open regularly via email
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-31-11 07:16 AM
    I think it's important for people to understand that the only true push email is the one tied to the carrier. As Stephen mentioned above, this is the one that looks like this: [email protected].

All other email addresses that you add (GMail, Hotmail etc...) will be polled at intervals and are not push. Setting up an IMAP enabled email account will result in mail being delivered at near "push" timings though.
    12-31-11 09:28 AM
    I think it's important for people to understand that the only true push email is the one tied to the carrier. As Stephen mentioned above, this is the one that looks like this: [email protected].

All other email addresses that you add (GMail, Hotmail etc...) will be polled at intervals and are not push. Setting up an IMAP enabled email account will result in mail being delivered at near "push" timings though.
    if this is true, mine must be polling all he time, like every few seconds. i send myself email from the home computer to my BB all the time for links and what not and not ever have is taken more than 1 second.

i always thought the way u describe it was from the old days of POP email and now with IMAP email we are getting true push. no? seams that way to me. maybe its a carrier thing?
    12-31-11 10:34 AM
    This is a little old but it still explains the basics i think

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...l-work-152955/
    12-31-11 10:46 AM
    An IMAP setup where the server supports the IMAP-IDLE command will deliver "real time" notifications along the lines of the push email. I believe GMail can take advantage of this feature.
    12-31-11 10:56 AM
    ^^ yes it would
    12-31-11 11:12 AM
    The difference is 'push' and 'near push' the @carrier.blackberry.net is true push, which basically means instant. a service like gmail is 'near push' which as someone else mentioned is literally milliseconds in difference.. not at all noticeable.

I too opt to use gmail, or Google apps for my bis account. I don't like the idea of an address I loose if I change carriers, and the fact that there is no web interface. Someone said you can't receive attachments at the carrier address... I don't think that's true, I believe you can receiving attachments on the device using it, but if you want to open this attachment on a computer, or print it, you would need to forward it to another address.. seems UN-necessary.. just set up you BIS account with gmail or Google apps in the first place, get almost the same speed and have the ability to log in online if needed.
    12-31-11 11:21 AM
    if this is true, mine must be polling all he time, like every few seconds. i send myself email from the home computer to my BB all the time for links and what not and not ever have is taken more than 1 second.
    The more a BB receives via a PULL Email account, the more frequently it polls that account.
    12-31-11 11:24 AM
    RIM could make this more attractive by (a) allowing users to have a carrier-independent address with a user name of their choosing, and (b) creating a web interface similar to the Danger SideKick "desktop interface". This would support web access to core BB apps: email, calendar, contacts, tasks, memos, and password keeper, with 2-way sync.

The carrier-independent address would let users switch carriers and have continuity, as long as they stick with BB. The web PIM interface would compete with Google services.
    just_luc likes this.
    12-31-11 11:37 AM
    RIM could make this more attractive by (a) allowing users to have a carrier-independent address with a user name of their choosing, and (b) creating a web interface similar to the Danger SideKick "desktop interface". This would support web access to core BB apps: email, calendar, contacts, tasks, memos, and password keeper, with 2-way sync.

The carrier-independent address would let users switch carriers and have continuity, as long as they stick with BB. The web PIM interface would compete with Google services.
    That's actually a good idea, I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like this as RIM dives deeper into cloud services.. a centraly available option like that would also lend itself to that data replicating on both your BB10 device and your playbook.. though for me, I hope they give the option between say an @blackberry.com address, and utilizing an address you already have, as I like to use my own domain for my business.

That said, and as you also alluded to, that service is already available for free to all if you just choose a gmail address rather then the carrier address.. AND with google apps you get all this and the ability to use your own domain.
    Last edited by just_luc; 12-31-11 at 11:45 AM.
    12-31-11 11:42 AM

I've been saying RIM needs a web interface since my first Armchair CEO mid 2010,

For RIM to create non carrier .blackberry.net accounts they would need to create their own BIS, in reality they should create a BIS porting tool, Carriers WANT you to be locked to them with an email address, before webmail was so good, people had to debate if they wanted to change ISP's because all their mail was sent to [email protected]
    12-31-11 11:49 AM
    I've been saying RIM needs a web interface since my first Armchair CEO mid 2010,

For RIM to create non carrier .blackberry.net accounts they would need to create their own BIS, in reality they should create a BIS porting tool, Carriers WANT you to be locked to them with an email address, before webmail was so good, people had to debate if they wanted to change ISP's because all their mail was sent to [email protected]
    This is very true as well.. I remember years back, I was using a local ISP, and had my email through them.. I moved to an area not serviced by said ISP and I was so in fear missing important messages or loosing touch with old contacts I continued service with that ISP for several years even though I couldn't make use of it, just to retain the email address, until I eventually switched to using my own domain with google apps.
    12-31-11 11:59 AM
    All email account on Blackberry is PUSH, delay or not the Blackberry never ever pulls email, the NOC server does that then pushes to the device.

There's push and then there's instant push.

Gmail, yahoo, hotmail and any IMAP IDLE email account will be instant push.
    12-31-11 12:08 PM

Very few people use the carrier email account, you do realise you can have 10 other email accounts pushed to a blackberry besides the carrier one.

Also you're not limited to one carrier email username, you can change it any time you want, think of it as a disposable email account.
    12-31-11 12:14 PM
    All email account on Blackberry is PUSH, delay or not the Blackberry never ever pulls email, the NOC server does that then pushes to the device.

There's push and then there's instant push.

Gmail, yahoo, hotmail and any IMAP IDLE email account will be instant push.
    POP3 email is still pulled.
    12-31-11 01:11 PM
    Yes, by the NOC, not by the Blackberry itself, the NOC pushes the email to the BB.
    12-31-11 01:27 PM
    Yes, by the NOC, not by the Blackberry itself, the NOC pushes the email to the BB.
    Got ya. You were differentiating between the device and the NOC. I didn't pick that up initially.
    12-31-11 05:29 PM
    I use the following email accounts on my BlackBerry: yahoo, hotmail, gmail, aim. I also use my @carrier.blackberry.net account. I like having one email account that's only accessible from the BlackBerry. But, as some have already mentioned, it would be better if it was portable. Maybe it could be somehow tied in to BlackBerry ID?
    12-31-11 07:07 PM
    What you have been saying is not true.

Yes, all email through BIS is considered to be PUSH since there a dedicated server is working on your behave to poll mail servers and push the email to your device. Compare that with pull service like on android where the device polls the mail servers directly every 10 minutes or so--they are lacking the intermediary which is exactly what BIS and BES servers are.
    12-31-11 11:41 PM
    What you have been saying is not true.

Yes, all email through BIS is considered to be PUSH since there a dedicated server is working on your behave to poll mail servers and push the email to your device. Compare that with pull service like on android where the device polls the mail servers directly every 10 minutes or so--they are lacking the intermediary which is exactly what BIS and BES servers are.
    Which I acknowledged later. The NOC does the pull, not the device, which was my main point. It's a pull in the end.
    Last edited by shabbs; 01-01-12 at 09:10 AM.
    01-01-12 09:07 AM
    I will start by saying I could be wrong, but I *do not think* you can do a password recovery on a BIS email account. That is, say if you use Gmail you can set up a secondary account recovery email within Gmail (say a Yahoo account). Then if you forget your Gmail password you can have a reset link sent to your Yahoo account.

But with BIS I do not think so. You forget the password and its over.

The only reason I say this is when I had my Tour I had a vzw.blackberry.net address on it. Later when I moved to a Curve I could not for the life of me remember the password. Remember you can't check BIS emails on the web. So it is very easy to forget that password after having it set on the phone for years and not having to ever type it in anywhere. I looked on the VZW BIS site -- no reset options. I called Verizon and they said nope.

So I had them create a new BIS account for me.

So this is either good or bad depending how you view it. More secure. But you have to make sure you never forget the password.

Unless.. I am wrong. Heh.
    Last edited by southlander; 01-01-12 at 09:49 AM.
    01-01-12 09:47 AM
    The Sprint BIS account page has a "forgot password" link. You can even have the p/w sent to you as a PIN message.
    01-01-12 10:15 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the blackberry Email address does not go true a server?
    01-01-12 11:00 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD