I was wondering if there is a way to look and see if a berry has been reported stolen without calling a service provider. Also if you have to call can you call any of does it have to be with who the phone was with if locked? Wondering cause I am trying to figure out how to get a berry for my girl and there are some good deals on CL (if they aren't stolen and they are legit that is)
    07-15-08 01:37 PM
    I used to work for Sprint PCS and we had to mark them as stolen so we'd put in the date and it would lock the phone up. I don't know of any way you can search a list. I highly highly doubt it. Also, you'd need to call that specific carrier. No other company is going to care if my Sprint phone was stolen (for instance).
    07-15-08 03:04 PM
    I used to work for Sprint PCS and we had to mark them as stolen so we'd put in the date and it would lock the phone up. I don't know of any way you can search a list. I highly highly doubt it. Also, you'd need to call that specific carrier. No other company is going to care if my Sprint phone was stolen (for instance).
    So with me being with T-mobile if I bought a 8310 even if it was stolen and reported that it was long as I use it with T-Mobile I can use it?
    07-15-08 04:59 PM
    lack of charger pretty much says stolen on CL
    07-15-08 05:11 PM
    I used to work for Sprint PCS and we had to mark them as stolen so we'd put in the date and it would lock the phone up. ...
    Once they are locked, there is no way you will be able to use or rebuild it.

Make sure it is fully functional before handing over the cash.
    07-15-08 05:13 PM
    If the price is too good to be true and things that should normally come with it are missing I would be suspicious. I would ask for the ESN # and call up the carrier and check it out before buying it from the seller.
    07-15-08 05:18 PM
    There are a lot of stolen goods on CL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 06:31 PM
    I was wondering if there is a way to look and see if a berry has been reported stolen without calling a service provider. Also if you have to call can you call any of does it have to be with who the phone was with if locked? Wondering cause I am trying to figure out how to get a berry for my girl and there are some good deals on CL (if they aren't stolen and they are legit that is)
    Only way I know of is to try and activate the phone
    07-15-08 06:35 PM
    There is no way for a carrier to tell if a BB is stolen or not. There is not some magical report that spits out stolen IMEI #, the reason MOST carriers do not do this. There are way too many call saying the phone was stolen and later they end up finding it right where they left it (thinking they left it some where else). I know for a fact that T-mobile does not do this. I buy many BB off craigslist and if it seems shady then it is. If you are uncomfortable with the sale there is porbably good reason. I don't buy if I feel uncomfortable with it. That does give me a great idea, a stolen BB registary. The only problem is when you lock it up it is done no calling back and saying "oh I am sorry I just misplaced it." Good luck with finding a BB.
    07-15-08 06:39 PM
    Call and try to activate it, they're not going to send the cops to your door. You could have bought it at a flea market for all they know. I've heard every excuse in the book...trust me lol
    07-15-08 06:53 PM
    I was just wonderin...I am still looking. Oh well just may get new one later. Not in a rush
    07-15-08 06:56 PM
    I'll sell you a Treo, just say the word lol
    07-15-08 07:01 PM
    LOL @ the treo comment
    07-15-08 07:03 PM
    I do know T-mo puts a hold on a stolen or lost phone, even if you order a phone and say you never received it they put a hold on it and send you another phone. now if you wait a few months I think more the 3 months they release said phone because keeping a database for all those phone would cost to much money and time to keep updated.
    07-15-08 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD