Hopefully a few have experience with all platforms. Between the 9930, the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus how does battery life rank?

I have read the iPhone 4 lasts longer than the 9930 which is surprising since BlackBerry used to win the in the battery department.

Thanks for any insight? What makes each platform drai most? Seems the big screen is what drains Android devices the most. Why doesn't it drain iPhones the same way?
    12-26-11 06:24 AM
    I have noticed one thing about the BB 9900. If you use BB Protect and choose that your phone's location can be seen via the Protect site, it turns on the Device GPS by default. This basically bleeds battery.

I went into settings and turned off Device GPS on my phone and 4 of my friends 9900s.
    The battery life went up significantly. I get a full day's use on my 9900 and I'm a heavy voice and data user.
    12-26-11 07:06 AM
    Hopefully a few have experience with all platforms. Between the 9930, the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus how does battery life rank?

I have read the iPhone 4 lasts longer than the 9930 which is surprising since BlackBerry used to win the in the battery department.

Thanks for any insight? What makes each platform drai most? Seems the big screen is what drains Android devices the most. Why doesn't it drain iPhones the same way?
    Don't you mean the iphone4s? The 4s seems to get okay battery life if you toggle the settings for �Diagnostics & Usage�, �Location-Based iAds�, and �Setting Time Zone�. Oh yeah, you probably want to turn off push email as well unless necessary. One charge will last for a day (I would juice it if you are going to be out into the early morning hours though).

The Bold 9900 is a nice device but unless you are a very light user the phone will have trouble getting through the day on a charge. This is because of the 1230 mAH battery.

Both the bold 9900 and iphone 4s have better battery life than the Galaxy Nexus (especially if 4g LTE is turned on). Verizon says that the battery life issue is a software problem that will be fixed soon but I would wait and see on that one. The Galaxy Nexus is a beautiful phone and ICS is amazing, I can't wait until I have ice cream sandwich on my xperia.

Right now in terms of battery life it is
    1) iphone 4s
    2) Bold 9900
    3) Bold 9930

4) Samsung Galaxy Nexus

For now at least. Software updates have seemed to help the Bold somewhat.
    12-26-11 07:14 AM
    How long does the Galaxy Nexus last?
    Is it that bad?
    12-26-11 07:35 AM
    How long does the Galaxy Nexus last?
    Is it that bad?
    It is bad on 4G. Close to Thunderbolt bad. I have a good friend that has one and his battery went from 78% to 36% in about a 3 hour span when we where hanging out on Christmas eve. Verizon is saying that the battery life is an antenna issue that will fixed with a near future software update.

The Bold 9900 gets slightly better battery life than its CDMA 9930 counterpart according to most reports. That has to do with Verizon/Sprint etc than anything else.
    12-26-11 07:59 AM
    No, I meant the iP4 not 4s
    12-26-11 10:10 AM
    Thanks for all the replies! I don't want another device with bad battery life like my Thunderbolt. It wasn't good even on 3G.
    12-26-11 10:11 AM
    The iPhone 4 would be best, Bold would be 2nd, and then the Galaxy Nexus would be last. Not to say that the Galaxy Nexus or Android in general has bad battery life, it's just that with LTE turned on you see a significant drain. You mentioned the Thunderbolt, so you probably already know that.
    12-26-11 11:27 AM
    No, I meant the iP4 not 4s
    The iPhone 4 gets very good battery life.

I use to get similar results on my 9700.
    12-26-11 11:35 AM
    My nexus is fine as long as its a good signal but if its getting a poor signal it does drain pretty fast. There are some radio problems that certainly need work. My thunderbolt got perfect LTE signal at work and my gnex switches between LTE/3G quite a bit which is dissappointing.

Battery on wifi is superb though
    12-26-11 11:36 AM
    Matt, that's great battery life. 13 hours off charger and you still have 64% battery life left?
    12-26-11 12:47 PM
    I had the 9930(got it right away when it came out) I usually take my phone off the charger at 6 or 6:30 am and i was looking for a charger mid-afternoon. With my ip4s(which i use more than I used my 9930) I am making it the entire day with some left in the tank! iphone has been better across the board for me except there are times I miss the 9930 keyboard. Could never go back to the 9650 keyboard after going touchscreen! Those buttons seem tiny haha. And from everyone that I talked to that had the 4 and 4s battery is about the same with the edge going to 4
    12-26-11 12:53 PM
    The Bold 9900 can work more time then the iphone 4 but not more then the 4s
    12-26-11 01:56 PM
    Matt, that's great battery life. 13 hours off charger and you still have 64% battery life left?
    yeah, that was at home on a weekend day so not as much use as workday but i am quite happy with results
    12-26-11 05:32 PM

I had a 9900 but only for 3 days (now enjoying a 9790), so I'm not qualified to give any definitive opinions about 9900/9930.

Re Apple, they design their own mobile chips and are known to be very fussy about the power management. They seem to have an excellent engineering resources in power management and battery engineering. Apple's portable products do tend to have a longer battery life than average competitions.

Relative to my experience on IP4s and 9790, IP4s definitely lasts longer. I have not made any quantitative comparison between the two, but the IP4s, under similar usage, last at least 30% longer than 9790, perhaps more. I have the 9790 for a little over a week and conducted full discharge cycles for 3 times and it might last longer as I use it.

9790 by default should last longer than 9900, so there....
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-26-11 05:57 PM
    My nexus is fine as long as its a good signal but if its getting a poor signal it does drain pretty fast. There are some radio problems that certainly need work. My thunderbolt got perfect LTE signal at work and my gnex switches between LTE/3G quite a bit which is dissappointing.

Battery on wifi is superb though
    Click to view quoted image
    Very impressive. My buddy would love to know your secret. He has to charge his galaxy nexus every 10-12 hours. Even with light use, he only gets about 15 hours.
    12-26-11 08:33 PM
    Are there any Android devices out there that do get better battery life than an iPhone 4 or 4s? I'm talking not hacked Android since I have no interest in making my phone a hobby project.
    12-28-11 06:09 AM

Unfortunately, the 99xx devices were released with OS 7 versions that weren't very good for battery life. More recent OS 7 versions are better, but since most people just use the stock OS that their carrier installs, they don't get to find out about this.

The iPhone screen, at 3.5", is no longer "big" in comparison to many of the Android devices, such as the Galaxy Nexus, at 4.65". The 99xx, at 2.8", isn't that much smaller than the iPhone. Pinch zooming and other screen animations eat up a lot of CPU cycles, which drains the battery.

Multitasking doesn't actually cause increased battery drain, but it supports it by letting processes continue to run simultaneously. iOS previously didn't support multitasking; now it does, but in a way that is more conservative than Android, as described here. BB isn't mentioned, unfortunately.

The iPhone 4 has a 1430 mAh battery. RIM made the dubious decision of increasing the specs on the 99xx series while reducing battery capacity. So, my 9780 has a 1500 mAh battery, but my 9900 has only a 1230 mAh battery.

Arguably, the 9780 had more power than it needed, if you accept the premise that anyone should expect to have to charge a smartphone every night, but no more than that. I'm able to do this on my 9900 now, but it took a lot of fiddling to get there. This was new to me, since I didn't have to care much about conserving power on my 9780.

As far as I can tell, being able to charge only once per 24 hours is possible with certain Android devices, but it's not an expectation. The culture of Android is different, and many users accept the need to charge more often (or carry spare batteries) as a trade-off for bigger screens, faster processors, etc.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-28-11 07:51 AM
    I noticed a better charge from a wall charger then the USB cord connected to my computer for my 9930.

Give any day, I can get from 12-24 hrs on a single charge. Probably even further (just saw the post about turn off the gps). Email, txt, and check my stocks are about it. There are the occasional game thrown in, but I find the battery life quite acceptable. My wireless components always running are the stock 3g and bluetooth. The wifi and nfc are off.
    12-28-11 09:17 AM
    I know my buddies iphone 4 gets really good battery life, his 4s is a little worse.

This was my last 2 days with 13 hours of sleep factored in and 7-8 hours of screen on

12-28-11 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD