I have been a Blackberry faithful since the first Blackberry Curve. I have owned the original Curve, Curve 3G, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, and recently the Bold 9900.

I came to these boards recently to get help for my 9900 which started acting up (i.e. lags, freezes, and worst was reboots while in a phone call). Got a few suggestions but ultimately, the 9900 has bricked.

I have been patient, believe me, in dealing with this entire ordeal. The 9900 acts as my secondary phone for my contacts that have BBM. My Galaxy Nexus acts as my primary phone as - let's be honest here- it can do more.

However I have some business contacts with BBM that call me via the 9900, it makes more sense for me to provide the Bold's phone number as a primary contact to those business contacts, right?

I have lost two potential clients because of the phone-rebooting-while-on-a-call issue. The first one called me to discuss a potential big project, and the moment he asked about pricing, the 9900 rebooted. I tried to contact him back but he wouldn't take the call anymore. That evening I received an e-mail from him saying he thought it was rude for me to hang up when asked about pricing. I responded and explained the situation- but damage is done.

After several wipes and re-installs, and a brand new battery, the phone seemed to be okay but after taking a nap, I woke up to see it bricked.

And to think THIS was a replacement 9900.

Am I in any real position here to sue RIM? I am just SO angry right now and forgive me for venting here but I am just SO angry! I am seriously thinking of filing a case against RIM for lack of quality control and lack of sensible technical support.

Need your thoughts.
    01-22-12 09:54 PM
    I doubt that your lawsuit would have a chance. All technical devices have some bad units. But let us know if you get any results.
    derekjdech likes this.
    01-22-12 09:59 PM
    Thanks. I am actually quite serious. I have never been this angry about my device in my entire life. I have had problems with devices in the past, but not problems that have totally messed the way I do business.
    01-22-12 10:00 PM
    No chance.

License agreement for ANY of these devices limits liability to the amount you paid.

You use ANY of these devices at your own risk, and you solely determine their suitability for your purpose.

If you can show a dead body, a jury may be sympathetic. But not a lost sale prospect.
    01-22-12 10:03 PM
    Just because you're angry does not make your case something that stands a chance of prevailing in court.
    01-22-12 10:06 PM
    Yeah thanks for the advice but that lost sale prospect means the world to me.

I realize I stand little chance but there has got to be something I can do. I am just unbelievably angry right now. So many "what ifs" now- what if I had just stuck with one reliable device? what if I had just listened to everyone else poking fun at me sticking with a Blackberry?
    01-22-12 10:08 PM
    Yeah thanks for the advice but that lost sale prospect means the world to me.

I realize I stand little chance but there has got to be something I can do. I am just unbelievably angry right now. So many "what ifs" now- what if I had just stuck with one reliable device? what if I had just listened to everyone else poking fun at me sticking with a Blackberry?
    The answer lies ahead of you, not behind you.

You have no recourse against RIMM, and most of what you would write in a forum will be lost as overly-angry right now.
    01-22-12 10:13 PM
    What is the mailing address of RIM? Who should I direct a very angry letter to??
    01-22-12 10:15 PM
    You already knew the unit you have is unreliable or if your not sure it's a good unit don't use it for business until well tested.
    01-22-12 10:20 PM
    I hate to hear about your issues. It sounds like a really trying time. My thoughts is on the bright side it might be for the best you lost that client. If he didnt have understanding of a hardware issue before yall even started working together. He might have hung you out to dry once yall had started for just disgreeing with you.
    Ive never had a customer that up tight. Gotta say im glad too.
    So your replacement unit bricked also? Who are you working thru to get this problem resolved? I know this has to make you sick. The 9900 is such a sweet device too. Have you tried fixing it your self? I unbricked a 9850 and its still running smooth. I cant explain why it happens. It kinda appears to me that the earlier version of the os sometimes has an issue with some of the hardware. if you fix it yourself try the newest os. if you need some help PM me and we'll see if we cant get this straight. If you feel that this should'nt be your course of action I totally understand. I think in this case you should ask for a brand new device to ensure the newest hardware and software.
    01-22-12 10:22 PM
    Well honestly if you knew those issues existed, it should have been deemed unreliable and business should NOT have been conducted on that specific device.

That is sad news and honestly, I would be pissed the eff off too. But you can't really blame RIM when you know you had an unreliable device. Especially for business use.
    01-22-12 10:23 PM
    You already knew the unit you have is unreliable or if your not sure it's a good unit don't use it for business until well tested.
    i'm sorry i don't totally understand. if what you meant is "You already knew the unit was unreliable- if you were not sure it was a good unit, then you should not have used it for business unless you thoroughly tested it", then-

yes I tried to deal with it and gave it a chance by asking for a replacement as the original 9900 was already acting up. replacement phone, same problem, what were the odds?
    01-22-12 10:24 PM
    Well honestly if you knew those issues existed, it should have been deemed unreliable and business should NOT have been conducted on that specific device.

That is sad news and honestly, I would be pissed the eff off too. But you can't really blame RIM when you know you had an unreliable device. Especially for business use.
    yes, i have learned my lesson. i have sent an email to all of my contacts that i won't be using BBM anymore, and for them to delete the phone number on that Bold.

what truly amazes me is that RIM markets this as a flagship phone, and I go through two of these and they manage to wreck potential business. and they claim to be the best business device?
    01-22-12 10:26 PM
    Many people have no problems with the 9900 devices. I don't have one personally but everyone in the PlayBook forum seem to love that device above all others.

You just seem to have bad luck with phones and business partners.
    01-22-12 10:31 PM
    I hate to hear about your issues. It sounds like a really trying time. My thoughts is on the bright side it might be for the best you lost that client. If he didnt have understanding of a hardware issue before yall even started working together. He might have hung you out to dry once yall had started for just disgreeing with you.
    Ive never had a customer that up tight. Gotta say im glad too.
    So your replacement unit bricked also? Who are you working thru to get this problem resolved? I know this has to make you sick. The 9900 is such a sweet device too. Have you tried fixing it your self? I unbricked a 9850 and its still running smooth. I cant explain why it happens. It kinda appears to me that the earlier version of the os sometimes has an issue with some of the hardware. if you fix it yourself try the newest os. if you need some help PM me and we'll see if we cant get this straight. If you feel that this should'nt be your course of action I totally understand. I think in this case you should ask for a brand new device to ensure the newest hardware and software.
    Thanks, I appreciate this.

The first 9900 had lags, the optical trackpad seemed misaligned, and it was rebooting randomly. I did not install any apps on the device except Facebook and Twitter.

The second 9900 seemed fine for a long time, I tried to ignore the lags and freezes that would happen randomly. I didn't use it a lot- as it was just a secondary phone.

I went through an extremely difficult time getting the second 9900 as a replacement. i had to explain everything to five different reps before they agreed to replace it. i did NOT want to go through that again and thought of coming here to get it resolved.

And believe me, I did my diligence and homework. Here were the things I did:

1. Wiped and reinstalled. Several times.
    2. Removed ALL apps. I have them all on my Nexus anyway.
    3. Removed all pictures from my contact list, thinking maybe there's a rogue jpeg there somewhere.
    4. Went out and bought a new battery, someone suggested it could be a battery problem.
    5. Tried a build of 7.1.
    6. Went back to the stock 7 OS.
    7. Tried a different SIM pay as you go card, thinking it could have been THAT.
    8. Charged using a different outlet, maybe it had something to do with the electricity?

As I do not think that ANYONE deserves to go through the hassles of explaining your dreadful experience to 5 different folks all over again just to receive a new 9900 only to pray that the experience does not happen again, is just totally UNACCEPTABLE given the price I paid and my LOYALTY to RIM.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-22-12 10:32 PM
    What reps? Your carrier? RIM does not employ those reps.
    01-22-12 10:37 PM
    What reps? Your carrier? RIM does not employ those reps.
    OMG does it matter if they work for RIM? I am merely illustrating all the trouble I have went through just to get a replacement device. if i do end up suing RIM that won't be the basis at all.
    01-22-12 10:45 PM
    yes, i have learned my lesson. i have sent an email to all of my contacts that i won't be using BBM anymore, and for them to delete the phone number on that Bold.

what truly amazes me is that RIM markets this as a flagship phone, and I go through two of these and they manage to wreck potential business. and they claim to be the best business device?
    Did you try to remedy those issues by updating the OS? To either the latest or the latest leaked OS?

I heard the later versions were MUCH better compared to the ones they first came with.

Edit: Well either way, whatever happened, happened. There's nothing to do now. I hope your business ventures work out in the future though. And I agree with the person that said it could have been something that happened for the best. If he acted like that about hte "hang up" issue even after you explained your situation. He might have done something to screw up business later on down the project.
    01-22-12 10:47 PM
    Did you try to remedy those issues by updating the OS? To either the latest or the latest leaked OS?

I heard the later versions were MUCH better compared to the ones they first came with.
    yes, i did. i posted all the steps i took to resolve it.

now, out of just morbid curiosity- how do i unbrick this thing?? i just want to donate it to charity or something.
    01-22-12 10:49 PM
    OMG does it matter if they work for RIM? I am merely illustrating all the trouble I have went through just to get a replacement device. if i do end up suing RIM that won't be the basis at all.
    Your post mentioned the reps. You brought them up as if you were dealing with RIM reps. So in order to be factual, that part of your sad story is irrelevant.
    01-22-12 10:51 PM
    To everyone that took the time out to reply and sympathize- I thank you from the bottom of my angry heart.

To those that mocked and belittled my experience- I hope you get what you deserve.

I am going after RIM even if I am fully aware I have little chance. If I do not find anyone to represent me, I will start my own viral campaign to ensure that all my friends, family, and their friends and THEIR friends stay away from Blackberry- FOR GOOD.

I found the address, if anyone can just post a name I can address the letter and official complaint to, I would really appreciate it.

Research In Motion
    295 Phillip Street
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Canada N2L 3W8

tel: (519) 888-7465
    fax: (519) 888-7884
    01-22-12 11:00 PM
    I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing you lost a potential job because of a dropped call.

Everyone has cellphones, and everyone knows calls get dropped, it happens to me all the time and none of my clients get pissy. But then again if it's a biiig job, I do it in person.
    01-22-12 11:10 PM
    The OPs post sounds made-up

A lot of posters speak highly of the Bold in this forum.

Hopefully this thread will quickly sink
    01-22-12 11:19 PM
    Should have kept your landline.
    01-22-12 11:27 PM
    Post made up? There are many threads on 9900/9930's bricking on.the daily, sometimes multiple threads....only blind RIM faithfuls post jibberish like that.

Get a clue, not everything is peaches and cream in RIM land.

This coming from some who wants RIM to succeed and prosper. Just confined to reality.

Sent from I am on Fire!
    01-22-12 11:37 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD