So my carrier has told me that with the upcoming shutdown of 2G in Canada. Eventually they will shut down the BIS Server.

I honestly don't want any Facebook apps or anything like that. Email is fine by me and so is bbm. But that's all. I also want a keyboard. I'm a dumb phone kinda guy who wants internet on it sometimes maybe just to check the bus schedule.

Do you guys recommend a classic? Can I block the Amazon app store on it? Or you guys just say get a flip phone like one of these Alcatel flip phones from my carrier?
    11-04-17 08:08 AM
    You can't block Amazon app store per se on your classic but you can put it away in some folder and never install it. Same thing.
    In terms of future proofing I would definitely suggest a KEYone. But if the classic does what you want from your phone and will continue to do so till the time you plan on keeping, then the keyboard is second to none and you will feel right at home coming from the 9900

Posted via CB10
    sammyg423 likes this.
    11-04-17 09:31 AM
    You can remove the default Amazon apps by enabling parental controls and disabling the Amazon toggle. The disadvantage being your phone will have to stay in parental control mode as exiting it will bring the apps back.

Email might be painful on a flip phone, is there any reason why you don't want a cheap Android?
    sammyg423 likes this.
    11-04-17 10:07 AM
    You can remove the default Amazon apps by enabling parental controls and disabling the Amazon toggle. The disadvantage being your phone will have to stay in parental control mode as exiting it will bring the apps back.

Email might be painful on a flip phone, is there any reason why you don't want a cheap Android?
    Parental controls just sort of removes the app from the Home screen not the OS. Turning off Parental controls will immediately show the app again on the home screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-17 10:44 AM
    Parental controls just sort of removes the app from the Home screen not the OS. Turning off Parental controls will immediately show the app again on the home screen.

Posted via CB10
    It uninstalls the app, if you disable parental controls you'll eventually see the installer show a permissions popup for both apps.
    11-04-17 01:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    It uninstalls the app, if you disable parental controls you'll eventually see the installer show a permissions popup for both apps.
    11-04-17 01:28 PM

Not interested in Android for security and I don't wanna get apps like Instagram and snapchat so I'm trying to keep things as basic as possible
    11-04-17 01:52 PM
    So my carrier has told me that with the upcoming shutdown of 2G in Canada. Eventually they will shut down the BIS Server.

I honestly don't want any Facebook apps or anything like that. Email is fine by me and so is bbm. But that's all. I also want a keyboard. I'm a dumb phone kinda guy who wants internet on it sometimes maybe just to check the bus schedule.

Do you guys recommend a classic? Can I block the Amazon app store on it? Or you guys just say get a flip phone like one of these Alcatel flip phones from my carrier?
    Do you really need BBM? If not, you probably don't need BIS. See this guide: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/

Posted via CB10
    11-04-17 02:08 PM
    Not interested in Android for security and I don't wanna get apps like Instagram and snapchat so I'm trying to keep things as basic as possible
    In that case I guess the Classic should be ok for your needs if you can get it cheap enough but I'd wait until BlackBerry comments on KRACK for BB10/QNX. Also keep in mind that you probably won't see any major OS updates for it anymore, so if the browser starts acting up there might not be an update for it.
    sammyg423 likes this.
    11-04-17 02:22 PM
    Do you really need BBM? If not, you probably don't need BIS. See this guide: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/

Posted via CB10
    I use bbm as a replacement to whatsapp

Cheers
    11-04-17 02:28 PM
    BBM works great on BB10, obviously. And email is great. If you're adamant about the Amazon App Store and any other Android apps not running you can manually shut them down. They will restart after each reboot, so you'll have to do it periodically, but it works perfectly. I do it all the time.

CORRECTION: I went to verify what I just said and could NOT close the Amazon App Store, though I am almost certain I have done it in the past. Sorry for the confusion!
    Posted with my trusty Z10
    sammyg423 likes this.
    11-04-17 02:36 PM
    BBM works great on BB10, obviously. And email is great. If you're adamant about the Amazon App Store and any other Android apps not running you can manually shut them down. They will restart after each reboot, so you'll have to do it periodically, but it works perfectly. I do it all the time.

I think that if you *never* open the Amazon app store, it won't start automatically. It doesn't seem to on my Passport anyways (checked through device monitor and Ghost Commander). I've just hidden the app icon away on the second page inside a folder somewhere, so I never see it, and AFAIK, it never runs.

Posted via CB10
    sammyg423 likes this.
    11-04-17 02:47 PM

CORRECTION: I went to verify what I just said and could NOT close the Amazon App Store, though I am almost certain I have done it in the past. Sorry for the confusion!
    2nd CORRECTION: I WAS able to close the app from the CPU usage filter in App Manager. Works like a charm and doesn't come back.until the next boot.

11-04-17 02:51 PM
    Just because the Amazon app store is there, or the Facebook app is there doesn't mean you have to use it. Facebook, Twitter and apps like those can just be deleted. The Amazon app store can't, but don't ever log in with an Amazon account and it won't do anything.

Yes, the android runtime is always running, but it really is only there to translate any android system calls to any equivalent BB10 calls.
    sammyg423 likes this.
    11-04-17 02:58 PM
    Kinda worthless to try and Nuke the amazon app store.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    11-10-17 07:00 AM
    Classic or passport should do the trick. Something simple like q10 if you can still find them might be useful too

Posted via CB10
    11-10-17 05:04 PM
    Coming from the 9900 to a Q10 drove me crazy missing toolbelt. For that reason only I would suggest the Classic.

I also hated adjustment period from BBOS7 to BB10. For that reason and that reason only, I would suggest going straight to BBAndroid with a KEYone. BB should have done that 10 years ago and skipped BB10 themselves but that's a discussion for elsewhere.
    11-10-17 05:59 PM
    as others may have stated . bb10 powered classic doesn't rely on BIS to use bbm. a regular data plan is all you need. it does all the basics and has the next best keyboard if not more ergonomic do to little more real estate . I prefer the classic to the 9900 any day and it is a much more clean experience if you are just a basic user that doesn't need the application ecosystem provided by android
    11-14-17 08:59 PM
    Is it safe to say that a Classic is future proof going into 2018 for calls, SMS, e-mail and at least WhatsApp? I ordered one as backup to Priv
    11-15-17 02:21 AM
    Is it safe to say that a Classic is future proof going into 2018 for calls, SMS, e-mail and at least WhatsApp? I ordered one as backup to Priv
    Yes, except for WhatsApp. No one can say for sure, how long WhatsApp can remain usable past 12/31/2017. Every probable answer is dependent on WhatApp not blocking things from their side.

People keep asking the question over and over. Getting the answer they want to hear if the question is asked multiple times doesn't mean it's a correct answer. I'm not saying this at you. Just pointing out that question has been asked through a year long extension. WhatsApp announced the EOL for a reason.
    11-15-17 06:47 AM
    Yes, except for WhatsApp. No one can say for sure, how long WhatsApp can remain usable past 12/31/2017. Every probable answer is dependent on WhatApp not blocking things from their side.

People keep asking the question over and over. Getting the answer they want to hear if the question is asked multiple times doesn't mean it's a correct answer. I'm not saying this at you. Just pointing out that question has been asked through a year long extension. WhatsApp announced the EOL for a reason.
    Right I understand. If there was no Android runtime with ability to install WhatsApp apk + no WhatsFix for the media I wouldn't have bought the phone so that was the deciding factor, as it might be for others as well.
    11-15-17 09:36 AM
    Right I understand. If there was no Android runtime with ability to install WhatsApp apk + no WhatsFix for the media I wouldn't have bought the phone so that was the deciding factor, as it might be for others as well.
    Right, but it must also be understood that that is a workaround and could stop working at any point. Any given evening you could go to bed with it working and wake up to it being broken forever.

Thus, if it is important to you (anyone reading this), the best advice is to move to an officially supported platform - iOS or Android. With anything else, it's a daily gamble with the eventual outcome being certain (it will stop working sooner or later).

At least there are still Android phones with BB PKBs for those who want one. That may not last forever either, but today, they do, and are officially supported.
    11-15-17 10:45 AM
    Not to mention the KRACK vulnerability that BlackBerry has so far not commented on for BB10. If security is an issue and you want to use Wi-Fi, that's a bigger "risk" than the Amazon App.
    11-15-17 11:26 AM