Superbook turns your Android into a Laptop-superbook-3.jpg
    I know ideas like this have been tried in the past and never really gotten of the ground, but this one just might. Plug your phone in and have a full laptop enviroment.

I'm curious of what you BlackBerry Android users think.
    If it did work on BB10 I'd probably get one.

More info:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nto-a-laptop-f
    08-01-16 03:14 PM
    Checked the video on KickStarter, Very good Tech.. 1.3 Mil Backing already.. Thanks for the post.
    08-01-16 03:29 PM
    Interesting....

Think it would be more useful with a touchscreen as that is what Android is really designed for.
    08-01-16 03:36 PM
    Checked the video on KickStarter, Very good Tech.. 1.3 Mil Backing already.. Thanks for the post.
    Your welcome, I was hoping BlackBerry would have gone with something like this when bb10 first came out and they were talking a lot about your phone replacing a pc.

I played around hooking up my Z 30 hdmi port to a monitor and using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It sort of worked but was missing home screen landscape mode, and many apps didn't work with the mouse. Still with a bit of work they could have had something.

Water long under the bridge now.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 03:41 PM
    Interesting....

Think it would be more useful with a touchscreen as that is what Android is really designed for.
    Mouse support on the apps is key as well. Not sure if android apps come with that, I'd think not but maybe the interface app you need for it makes up for it somehow.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 03:44 PM
    OK, did a little digging and it looks like you download an app called Andromium OS which is a beta app that turns android to a desktop environment. I tried the app on a LG nexus I have ( cell portion doesn't work but wifi does) and miracast it to an external monitor with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. If my experience with it is the same as the laptop I think people will be quite disappointed. You get the usual giant mouse pointer that seems to move all over the place and just the in app apps work as you'd expect. Other apps are supported but didn't work great.

At this point to me at least bb10 looks a bit better on a large screen which is saying something.

Oh well maybe once the app is off beta and the reviews are in how it actually works on the laptop it might be worth while.

I'm always a sucker for this kind of stuff and have closet full of "hey that looks cool!" junk sitting collecting dust, but not this time!

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-01-16 05:38 PM
    OK, did a little digging and it looks like you download an app called Andromium OS which is a beta app that turns android to a desktop environment. I tried the app on a LG nexus I have ( cell portion doesn't work but wifi does) and miracast it to an external monitor with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. If my experience with it is the same as the laptop I think people will be quite disappointed. You get the usual giant mouse pointer that seems to move all over the place and just the in app apps work as you'd expect. Other apps are supported but didn't work great.

At this point to me at least bb10 looks a bit better on a large screen which is saying something.

Oh well maybe once the app is off beta and the reviews are in how it actually works on the laptop it might be worth while.

I'm always a sucker for this kind of stuff and have closet full of "hey that looks cool!" junk sitting collecting dust, but not this time!

Posted via CB10
    In the end... Android is a mobile OS that works very well on Phones and Tablets where users don't have an expiation for more. But with a desktop or laptop there is a expatation... and Android just doesn't meet it for me. Just like I don't want a Chromebook....
    Sairos likes this.
    08-02-16 07:45 AM
    Is HP not doing something like this with their new phone but in the windows ecosystem?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 05:01 PM
    Yes they are, not sure if it's available yet. But I think it's expensive and I'm personally not crazy about win 10 mobile. Too busy looking for me but I do like Windows 10 desktop though.
    08-02-16 10:14 PM
    No thanks.

You get a 768p crap screen; and still cannot run full laptop "programs".

I will take a 10 inch Windows tablet for portable work anyday for a bit more. The prices have gone down quite a bit that you could get a decent windows tablet with a keyboard for not so much money.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 01:02 AM
    I find the utility of Windows XP (still the best OS ever) and Ubuntu Linux on OSX w/ Parallels too great to give up for anything like this. Perhaps that is because I use my machine every day for engineering and design duties, and little ARM cores aren't gonna run three virtual machines, word, excel, firefox, vlc, email, and a boatload of pdf docs all at once... smoothly. Only a Mac with a top of the line Intel will do that. And I hate Apple with a passion, so you gotta think how right they had to get their solution for a hater to be praising the device (2012 model with CD drive).

This is a good solution for lightweight users, but anyone needing to do some serious sh*t on a computer will likely pass on it.

I do have to congratulate them on being the first to implement this. It's the beginning of the future of how we separate screen from processing element.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 01:38 AM
    I guess I'm missing the point. You can already run android apps on a PC, and there seems no point to that for the most part. So what exactly does this bring to the table that miracast with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse wouldn't? I'm sure there must be something, but couldn't say what it is.

Continuum at least has the advantage of universal apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 06:11 PM
    I love my Lumia 950.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 06:25 PM