Hey guys

So what do you guys think about the Motorola Atrix that's coming out? My contract ends March 21st and the phone is going to be released on Bell on March 17th...trying to decide what to get between:

9780 vs Torch vs Atrix

Are any of you switching to the Atrix from a BB? I don't know a lot of people with BlackBerry's so I'm not really attached to BBM or anything like that...

I like the physical keyboards that BB's have but for some reason the Torch is putting me off because I've just never been a fan of slider keyboards...but a lot of people that have the Torch say it's amazing regardless.

What do you guys think?
    Elliott
    03-10-11 07:54 PM
    I think that the Atrix looks like an awesome phone..I love that fact that it comes with 1gb of ram..I would like to try one out, but I usually end up always coming back to BB it seems like. Definitely looks like a fun phone though.
    03-11-11 07:24 AM
    I think that the Atrix looks like an awesome phone..I love that fact that it comes with 1gb of ram..I would like to try one out, but I usually end up always coming back to BB it seems like. Definitely looks like a fun phone though.
    Hmm yea I always read people saying that on here...but I guess if I went to the Android Central forum it would be opposite responses lol.

Thanks for your input.
    03-11-11 04:55 PM
    atrix is top of the line android. It should be a fabulous and fast phone with endless bounds of what it can do in terms of the smartphone world
    03-11-11 05:19 PM
    If you want the latest and greatest..go for the atrix.

I personally hate touchscreens and love the form factor of my 9780

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-11 07:23 PM
    I liked the Atrix a lot when I tried it out, but I'll still be sticking with my Torch. The only thing I don't care for is the physical keyboard, which IMO and according to others too is too "flat" or level with the rest of the phone; I prefer it like the BB Curves' or Bold's keyboards. Other than that the Torch performs very well for whatever I use it for.
    03-12-11 03:10 AM
    The Atrix is what a business device should be. Add the laptop add on and this beats the functionality of the Playbook hands down. I am not a fan of Motorola, but I have to give them props on this device. It's forward thinking and the integration of the Atrix to the laptop dock is perfect for on the go business people and anyone who is in college. I would have loved to have this device when I was going to college.
    03-12-11 09:09 AM
    I liked the Atrix a lot when I tried it out, but I'll still be sticking with my Torch. The only thing I don't care for is the physical keyboard, which IMO and according to others too is too "flat" or level with the rest of the phone; I prefer it like the BB Curves' or Bold's keyboards. Other than that the Torch performs very well for whatever I use it for.
    Can you give a reason as to why you're sticking with your Torch? I mean any other reason than BBM?

The Atrix is what a business device should be. Add the laptop add on and this beats the functionality of the Playbook hands down. I am not a fan of Motorola, but I have to give them props on this device. It's forward thinking and the integration of the Atrix to the laptop dock is perfect for on the go business people and anyone who is in college. I would have loved to have this device when I was going to college.
    So if you had a Torch would you get an Atrix instead?
    03-12-11 12:23 PM
    Can you give a reason as to why you're sticking with your Torch? I mean any other reason than BBM?

So if you had a Torch would you get an Atrix instead?
    100% without any doubt I'd ditch the Torch for the Atrix if I was tied to AT&T. The Atrix is all about productivity & portability. Motorola makes solid devices with good to great battery life. The Torch lacks practicality for anyone who needs more than a pager with stripped down e-mail and a phone that can't even access 4G data. The Torch may be great for some people, for me, it's a complete waste of money and would cause more headaches than I alway get after a day at work with all the screaming babies that come into or clinic.
    03-12-11 02:55 PM
    I think that you should play with them all and then decide which one you like the best. It will come down to personal preference. If it was me I would get the torch but that is because I like touch screens and portrait sliders.
    K Bear likes this.
    03-12-11 03:55 PM
    spec wise, the Atrix blows any Blackberry away. But the Atrix isn't a Blackberry, so I wouldn't be happy with it.
    03-12-11 04:01 PM
    Well having researched the phone, I must say it looks amazing. I'm still gonna stick with the BlackBerry Torch though... Simply because I have BlackBerry Accessories that I use, otherwise I would be pouncing all over the Atrix.
    03-12-11 04:23 PM
    Atrix of course.
    03-12-11 07:19 PM
    Atrix. i have a torch and i i like it but its not that great, i feel tired of it already
    03-12-11 08:00 PM
    I think the Atrix looks like a pretty nice device. The added option of the laptop dock is also a very nice feature. The $45/month wireless tethering requirement (for the laptop dock) just bites, though.
    03-13-11 08:43 AM
    I was at my local AT&T store just last night. I played with the Atrix, the HTC Surround and others. The Atrix was no faster than the HTC nor a Pearl 3G. Actually the Pearl web browser was tremendously faster than the Atrix. And I was calling up The FreeBSD Project, I am 100% sure there was no previous views of that site on either phone. I tried other sites too, same results, Pearl was fastest with fine rendering.

The HTC Surround was actually snappier feeling than the Atrix. I must say, I was totally disappointed with the Atrix. It was surprisingly not amazing to me.

And the Atrix has that aweful Moto blur UI, which to me is absolutely dull and not useful. I am in a similar situation; I am ready for an upgrade but want to see what is coming out. I am leaning towards Win7, other than the dull tiles, the UI is quite smooth and quick and has a neat way of multitasking versus other phones. I think the BlackBerry keyboards cannot be beat by other keyboards both physical and virtual.

I am really surprised the Atrix was so slow for all its hardware. Not at all impressive.

03-13-11 01:25 PM
    Atrix didn't fare well in the recent consumer reviews, the screen is pixelated, the 4G speeds are terrible, dual core performance benchmarks failed to beat even the single core Android devices running the same version of software, the accessories like webtop etc are a thrash. The sell though rate is also very low at ATT (3 to 4 devices/day at some ATT stores as per the analyst). All in all not very encouraging I would rather go with another Android or an iPhone or wait until May 3rd to see when the new blackberries are gonna hit the shelves.
    03-13-11 02:01 PM
    I was at my local AT&T store just last night. I played with the Atrix, the HTC Surround and others. The Atrix was no faster than the HTC nor a Pearl 3G. Actually the Pearl web browser was tremendously faster than the Atrix. And I was calling up The FreeBSD Project, I am 100% sure there was no previous views of that site on either phone. I tried other sites too, same results, Pearl was fastest with fine rendering.

The HTC Surround was actually snappier feeling than the Atrix. I must say, I was totally disappointed with the Atrix. It was surprisingly not amazing to me.

And the Atrix has that aweful Moto blur UI, which to me is absolutely dull and not useful. I am in a similar situation; I am ready for an upgrade but want to see what is coming out. I am leaning towards Win7, other than the dull tiles, the UI is quite smooth and quick and has a neat way of multitasking versus other phones. I think the BlackBerry keyboards cannot be beat by other keyboards both physical and virtual.

I am really surprised the Atrix was so slow for all its hardware. Not at all impressive.

I'm not so sure about the Browsing speed being worse than a BlackBerry, but I mostly agree. Moto Blur is probably my least favorite customization of Android and AT&T's 4G isn't impressive. It was a good idea, but it didn't turn out like I hoped it too. But it's not a bad phone by any means.
    03-13-11 02:44 PM
    Thanks for your guys' opinions and personal experiences with the phone. I agree think it seems quite laggy for example while switching home tiles.

Meanwhile, though, the Torch is very laggy and slow while rendering pages like Engadget.com.

I'm with Bell so these are the only choice of phones right now:

Android: Atrix, HTC Desire Z, LG Optimus Chic, and the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant.

BlackBerry: 9780, Torch

I don't like the flip keyboard on the HTC Desire and the LG and Samsung just seem kind of "dated"...

Still a hard decision. I like the snappiness of the browsing in Android but I also like the messaging and stuff in BlackBerry.
    03-13-11 06:35 PM
    Thanks for your guys' opinions and personal experiences with the phone. I agree think it seems quite laggy for example while switching home tiles.

Meanwhile, though, the Torch is very laggy and slow while rendering pages like Engadget.com.

I'm with Bell so these are the only choice of phones right now:

Android: Atrix, HTC Desire Z, LG Optimus Chic, and the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant.

BlackBerry: 9780, Torch

I don't like the flip keyboard on the HTC Desire and the LG and Samsung just seem kind of "dated"...

Still a hard decision. I like the snappiness of the browsing in Android but I also like the messaging and stuff in BlackBerry.
    All of the devices are dated except for the Atrix.
    03-13-11 07:25 PM
    Well i have the torch as we speak!! I like the phone but it freezes up alot!!! I have just ordered the motorola atrix!! I went in the store and fell in love with it. The ringer volume is thru the roof!!! I mean if i had to choose i would choose the atrix!! To me the bb is for a school kid that does alot of texting!!!
    03-13-11 09:53 PM
    The mobile friendly view takes about 5 seconds on Telus. The desktop view took about 30 seconds to get all that stuff loaded, but once loaded it seems fine to me. I scroll fairly slowly though - I've learned that if you swipe fast you're asking for trouble on a site like that. If that's a regular website for you then Torch is not your device for sure. (I enjoyed seeing the iPad2 installed in the F-150 truck's dash BTW!)
    03-13-11 11:20 PM
    All of the devices are dated except for the Atrix.
    I would disagree with what you consider dated. OP, I would weigh functionality and hands on experience over the advice of those who chase the latest and greatest.
    03-13-11 11:27 PM
    I would disagree with what you consider dated. OP, I would weigh functionality and hands on experience over the advice of those who chase the latest and greatest.
    I saw the Atrix for the first time today. I got the Torch last July, so ya, it's positively ancient now. Seems to have improved with age though, dunno why.
    03-13-11 11:49 PM
    Well the atrix would be out of the discussion right away because i think moto blur is absolutely ridiculous. Then it would come down to the 9780 vs Torch, honestly the torch you get more for your money...TORCH=WINNER!
    03-14-11 12:25 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD