I know this has been discussed a hundred times, and I've honestly viewed almost every thread that came in the similar threads found (TWICE) and I still can't make up my mind. The thing is, I'm a fan of touch screens, but only touch screens of iPhones. I've been an iPhone user since the first 2G iPhone, and I am completely in love with their screens. I have many resistive and capacitive touch screen devices but none of them can compare to the iPhone, and from reviews and watching videos, neither can the Torch.

I promise you I am not biased towards the iPhone, because I'm actually selling my iPhone 4 as I have been using a Bold 9000 for a while now and have no need for it, but I just don't want to pay that much for the Torch and then be let down by its touch screen compared to the iPhone's. I've watched a lot of YouTube reviews and the browsing on the Torch is very good, however, not nearly as smooth, fast, and reliable as the iPhone 4's.

The Torch's display quality isn't that stunning for a touch screen, although for an avid texter (BBM, SMS, email messages) like myself, it's more than enough.

The thing is, I know for a fact that I'm going to be using the physical keyboard 24/7 instead of the touch screen, basically because I prefer physical keyboards, even over my iPhone's on-screen keyboard.

But then comes the big question: Is it really worth buying the 9780 over the 9800 when both of them cost almost exactly the same in my country? I used a Curve 8900, 8520, and am now using a Bold 9000. My Dad has a 9700 and I friggin LOVE his phone. The keyboard, screen quality, trackpad, and most importantly weight and battery are just magnificent - I just fell in love with them the first time I played with that device.

I'm actually okay with using a 9700, but since I'm already selling my iPhone 4 and can't really afford any other device without doing so, I'll either buy the 9780 or the 9800 but I am still unsure as to which device I should get. I don't really have the choice of trying both phones hands-on for a while, as stores here don't really allow that - it's stupid, I know. But since the 9700 is almost identical to the 9780, I can tell you that I love the size, keyboard, battery, and look of that device - especially now the 9780 looks a bit better than the 9700 and has this awesome dark finish to it.

The Torch looks like a great phone, but I wear jeans almost all of the time and the pockets are a bit tight, and I don't know but I feel like it'll be a pain having that huge, bulky device sitting there all the time. I've also heard the Torch's battery is not good compared to the 9780's. I spend most of my day in university and I do a lot of texting and phone calling which uses up battery and don't really have an option of charging except at night.

Anyway, to cut this short, since I feel like I have been writing an essay, should I get the bold 9780 or the 9800? I'll be perfectly honest.. I just feel like since I already have the money after selling the iPhone, why not just go for the 9800? Something new to try. Hopefully if I don't like it, I can sell it and buy the 9780, I'm just saying. Do you guys feel like I should take the leap and jump for a Torch? Coming from an iPhone's touch-screen, which is known to be the best, is the Torch's really decent? Oh and two more questions:

1) Since I'll be using the physical keyboard most of the time, is it a pain to keep sliding it in and out?
    2) Since the Torch is already big when closed, how big is it when it is open?

Thank you very much and I apologize for the long post. You can just skip till the last paragraph if you want.
    04-27-11 02:11 AM
    1.) i had the torch, and it wasnt a big pain opening and closing the phone over and over. i never really used the touch screen that much so the physical keyboard was my main means of typing.

2.) the Torch's footprint was very similar to my Bold 9700's. it was just bulkier, thicker and heavier than the 9700. i eventually reverted back to it.
    04-27-11 02:23 AM
    Used a 9800 and use now a 9780. Both have great KB's. But since I have like 300 messages a day I was tired of sliding. That is the only reason I changed. Touch has some advantages, zooming pics for example, but thats ok since this is not my main usage.

You will be happy with both of them.
    04-27-11 02:29 AM
    Thank you. So since I am a Bold 9000 user and used the 9700's keyboard, I'm love with it. Is the Torch's physical keyboard as good as the Bold's? Some people say it's a bit cramped or whatever, but I'm not sure. It does look a bit smaller than the Bold's, but I'm sure it can be used to unless the button are too tight and flattened out which would be a pain.
    04-27-11 02:37 AM
    Thank you. So since I am a Bold 9000 user and used the 9700's keyboard, I'm love with it. Is the Torch's physical keyboard as good as the Bold's? Some people say it's a bit cramped or whatever, but I'm not sure. It does look a bit smaller than the Bold's, but I'm sure it can be used to unless the button are too tight and flattened out which would be a pain.
    i liked the Torch keypad. it felt solid and worked well, it just felt "flat" compared to the Bold because it was on a very thin piece of the phone.
    04-27-11 02:47 AM
    I adore my Torch and I've had no problems with it. However, my next BlackBerry will be the regular candybar form factor because I only type on the physical keyboard and yes, I do find it a pain to constantly slide. I'm always on BBM, email, texting, etc and it can be a little obnoxiou. But I do thoroughly enjoy the large Torch screen and it really has been a great device.
    04-27-11 05:39 AM
    having come from a curve and using a bold, I can honestly say the screen size is a huge improvement as well as I really believe OS6 was made for a touchscreen device. I also use the physical keyboard 100% of the time and I don't really feel the sliding up and down all the time to be a pain. The keyboard is a little "flat" and takes some getting used to, but once you do you'll be flying along like there's no tomorrow.
    04-27-11 06:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD