tmo bold 9700 [was .330 upgraded to .714 [carrier official latest]]

wifi keeps dropping its connection, then [usually] reconnecting itself. it holds a connection anywhere from 5mins to 3-4hrs.

sometimes when wifi goes grey it thinks it still has UMA/connectivity, but doesnt. sometime goes to an X

it drops whether its in use [streaming/calls/ browser] or idle. it will hang/crash slacker and pandora when it drops. they dont reconnect when wifi auto reconnects

it drops whether the cell radio/mobile network is on or off

bluetooth is off

drops whether on battery or mains

thinkpad [b] stays connected [on wifi] when the BB drops. thinkpad never drops its connection.

wifi signal stills shows as present [green beacon], but not connected, on the BB. when it drops.

I have [not in order]

resent service books [hoping to reinstall wifi tcp/ip

changed routers [both new] was TPlink, now Linksys wrt54GL

changed wifi signal o/p

assigned BB IP on router

tried b only, and mixed

set up port forwarding to BB

set static IP/DNS info etc on BB

set advanced router settings-- DTIM, threshold, beacon etc

scanned for local wifi using BB-- most on channel 1 or 11, tried all different channels

db signal is fine when wifi connection is dropped-- anywhere from -30 to -60 doesnt make a difference. ie 5 ft or 25 ft from router.

upgraded handheld from 330 to carrier latest OS 714

set no wireless security,

set mac filter,

drops data wifi, independent of UMA and with no sim installed

UMA/BIS connects fine when wifi connection is there

set QOS for media on router

battery pulls galore

edit to add***

deleted wifi profile on the BB, and reset, even changed the SSID name, and whether ssid was broadcast or not,

disabled the @home and hotspot profiles,

moved the profile to the top of the list, set profile with static IP on the BB [instead of auto obtain]**

hard to test it on a public wifi, because sometimes it will stay connected for 3-4hrs anyway

Ive run out of ideas now, so I'm thinking its basically either hardware or TMO provisioning [less likely]

any ideas much appreciated

thanks!

Last edited by dr benway; 01-01-11 at 08:58 PM.
    01-01-11 08:30 PM
    Cue Brian, with a Belkin router story...

Anywho, Dr Benway the only thing I see you haven't tried yet is deleting your current wifi profile and creating a new one. Sounds odd, but it worked for me once. If it doesn't work, it could be hardware related, like you assume. Are you still under warranty for repair or exchange?
    dr benway and rrrebo like this.
    01-01-11 08:48 PM
    thanks v much for the reply

yes, I've done that. [sorry couldnt remember everything Ive tried ] even changed the SSID name, and whether ssid was broadcast or not,

deleted wifi profile on the BB,

disabled the @home and hotspot profiles,

moved the profile to the top of the list, set profile with static IP on the BB[instead of auto obtain]

might try deleting the profile again though, as I havent done that since the OS upgrade

yes, I'm still in warranty

thanks
    01-01-11 08:56 PM
    I was having a similar issue. I called T-Mobile and we did some trouble-shooting. The solution that seems to be the fix was a new SIM card. It was a freebie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dr benway likes this.
    01-01-11 10:14 PM
    Can try a new sim, but sounds like a warranty exchange may be in order.

I drop signal as well, but is more so something in my settings on Linksy router. Have to always reset.

Good luck!
    dr benway likes this.
    01-02-11 06:53 AM
    Just out of curiosity.... have you re-booted the router? I had a similar problem and I shut down everything. Starting with the modem (wait 2 mins) then the router( wait about a min.) then your computer. Just a thought. Hope it helps.
    dr benway likes this.
    01-02-11 06:58 AM
    thanks all, for the replies.

Ive rebooted the router and tried 2 [new] different ones. the linksys seems to drop less than the TPLink.

I've pulled the sim out now, and I'm streaming Pandora on wifi to see if it drops. That should eliminate the SIM from the equation.

Thanks
    01-02-11 07:26 AM
    It's probably the wifi hardware on the blackberry. If possible, have it tested at a t-mobile store.

And try not to avoid paragraphs, they really make for a shorter post, I try the best I can to keep it all on one post unless steps are given. No offense, don't take it personal either. I had to scroll allot on this small screen to read it all.

01-02-11 07:38 AM
    how would a tmo store test for a fault like that?

thanks

It's probably the wifi hardware on the blackberry. If possible, have it tested at a t-mobile store.
    01-02-11 10:28 AM
    There are 2 parts to a BB wifi connection.
    1. Phone to router (WiFi indicator appears, is grey)
    2. BIS service tunnelled through 1. (WiFi indicator is bright white)

Can you clarify which is lost (or both)? Reading your first msg there is a mention of going grey, but that implies the wifi part is working, and the problem is tunnelling the BB data back to the BIS servers - bringing ISP and firewall factors into the mix.

Are there any clues in the phone's logfile? (Hold Alt and key LGLG to view) I find it is easier to download the log to PC using CrackUtil.

Any clues from the router log or interface?
    dr benway likes this.
    01-02-11 10:40 AM
    thanks v much for the log info, I had been wanting something like that!

next time it drops I will look at the log for clues and post here. brilliant! what should I look for, the log is pretty long?

It appears that the phone to router wifi connection is lost. there is no wifi connectivity, UMA, BIS or browser. but the wifi network does not disappear from the phone, its still there, green beacon.

*edit to add* it also drops voice calls, [UMA connection drops] I then see it re-connect; uma to UMA.

iirc, the grey wifi icon was there sometimes, when pink UMA had gone, even though there was no data connection. when I tried the browser, the BB then realized there was no connection. I'll pay more attention to this next time it happens, though.

If the browser is internet, not hotspot, and UMA is active, does it go through UMA and not wifi [if you see what I mean]. therefore losing UMA, loses the [internet] browser, but not a hotspot browser?

on the router, there is no indication of a problem. thinkpad holds connection 24/7/ it seems the BB gets the wifi signal, but loses its connection.

Im currently streaming pandora without a sim, and grey wifi. 3 1/2 hrs so far, no drop. but thats not unusual. then it can drop 3 times in 10 mins.

Thanks again

There are 2 parts to a BB wifi connection.
    1. Phone to router (WiFi indicator appears, is grey)
    2. BIS service tunnelled through 1. (WiFi indicator is bright white)

Can you clarify which is lost (or both)? Reading your first msg there is a mention of going grey, but that implies the wifi part is working, and the problem is tunnelling the BB data back to the BIS servers - bringing ISP and firewall factors into the mix.

Are there any clues in the phone's logfile? (Hold Alt and key LGLG to view) I find it is easier to download the log to PC using CrackUtil.

Any clues from the router log or interface?
    Last edited by dr benway; 01-02-11 at 11:35 AM.
    01-02-11 11:04 AM
    Logfile: I don't have a clue what may show there. Start with the timestamp and see if anything looks promising. You might have to collate a few failures to identify the related events.
    It appears that the phone to router wifi connection is lost. there is no wifi connectivity, UMA, BIS or browser. but the wifi network does not disappear from the phone, its still there, green beacon.
    I'm not convinced about the wifi status from this description. Leaving aside the possibility that the on-screen WiFi indicator is not refreshing immediately it loses service, what you describe would be more like the loss of connection to the RIM network, with your WiFi link between phone and router remaining alive.

If you are lucky and fast you might be able to test this theory. Here's a low and cunning plan...
    1. Go to Manage Connections/WiFi Options/<menu button> WiFi Tools/WiFi Diagnostics. In the first section (WiFi) note the Local IP address for your phone. (Also have a look at the other parameters for WiFi and BlackBerry Infrastructure and get familiar with them in working condition)
    2. On your PC, open a DOS command window and type PING <Numeric.I.P.Address> e.g.
    PING 192.168.0.5

(whatever numbers you noted). You should see the phone's activity indicator flash and get a result with 4 response times from your phone, but no failures.
    3. Here's the part I can't test... PING has a -t switch to keep testing with an unlimited number of PINGs, e.g.
    PING -t 192.168.0.5

and if it makes it easier, send the result to a logfile on the PC,
    PING -t 192.168.0.5 >file.txt

(Hit Ctrl+C to stop the test if you use the -t switch)

Leave it running and see if you get any failures when the WiFi misbehaves. That will test the basic WiFi connection between phone and router. If the ping response times continue without dropped packets the WiFi is working, and the problem is probably somewhere in your broadband connection through to the ISP, or the logical networking that connects to RIM's BIS servers.

If the browser is internet, not hotspot, and UMA is active, does it go through UMA and not wifi [if you see what I mean]. therefore losing UMA, loses the [internet] browser, but not a hotspot browser?
    UMA deals only with piping your voice traffic via internet back to your cellular network, it has nothing to do with your BB data at a logical level, they simply originate from the same device and travel on the same route for the first steps of the journey.

Everything from your WiFi must go back to your ISP. From there it should find the most direct route to its final destination. As such I would expect (but not certain) different paths for UMA and Blackberry data which should be sent to Cellco and RIM respectively, direct from your ISP (not via cellular provider's system). A failure in both UMA and BB data points to a problem somewhere between your ISP and the phone, not in the hops between ISP and Cellco or RIM servers.
    dr benway likes this.
    01-02-11 12:58 PM
    thanks very much for the reply/info and the cunning plan [blackadder!]

the wifi just dropped, with no sim card in the BB.

as I look at the BB now, there is definitely no active wifi connection, but the grey wifi icon is there on the home screen. the wifi network beacon is green, but not connected.

so I think that rules out any network issues. the thinkpad's still connected so that rules out ISP. [and if it was ISP, BB'd still be connected to the router, which its not.

the pandora error msg was "unexpected error. tunnel failure while retrieving music"

I checked the log, this looks like it might be relevant? its the first time sthing like this appears, around the time of the disconnect. [as best I can tell]

name: net.rim.tcp
    severity: error
    GUID:316c1626XXXX
    Time
    OPsx -7

so, it must be between the router/BB and looks like a hardware/firmware fault then, as Ive upgraded the OS.

do you concur?

Thanks again for your help

Logfile: I don't have a clue what may show there. Start with the timestamp and see if anything looks promising. You might have to collate a few failures to identify the related events.

I'm not convinced about the wifi status from this description. Leaving aside the possibility that the on-screen WiFi indicator is not refreshing immediately it loses service, what you describe would be more like the loss of connection to the RIM network, with your WiFi link between phone and router remaining alive.

If you are lucky and fast you might be able to test this theory. Here's a low and cunning plan...
    1. Go to Manage Connections/WiFi Options/<menu button> WiFi Tools/WiFi Diagnostics. In the first section (WiFi) note the Local IP address for your phone. (Also have a look at the other parameters for WiFi and BlackBerry Infrastructure and get familiar with them in working condition)
    2. On your PC, open a DOS command window and type PING <Numeric.I.P.Address> e.g.
    PING 192.168.0.5

(whatever numbers you noted). You should see the phone's activity indicator flash and get a result with 4 response times from your phone, but no failures.
    3. Here's the part I can't test... PING has a -t switch to keep testing with an unlimited number of PINGs, e.g.
    PING -t 192.168.0.5

and if it makes it easier, send the result to a logfile on the PC,
    PING -t 192.168.0.5 >file.txt

(Hit Ctrl+C to stop the test if you use the -t switch)

Leave it running and see if you get any failures when the WiFi misbehaves. That will test the basic WiFi connection between phone and router. If the ping response times continue without dropped packets the WiFi is working, and the problem is probably somewhere in your broadband connection through to the ISP, or the logical networking that connects to RIM's BIS servers.

UMA deals only with piping your voice traffic via internet back to your cellular network, it has nothing to do with your BB data at a logical level, they simply originate from the same device and travel on the same route for the first steps of the journey.

Everything from your WiFi must go back to your ISP. From there it should find the most direct route to its final destination. As such I would expect (but not certain) different paths for UMA and Blackberry data which should be sent to Cellco and RIM respectively, direct from your ISP (not via cellular provider's system). A failure in both UMA and BB data points to a problem somewhere between your ISP and the phone, not in the hops between ISP and Cellco or RIM servers.
    01-02-11 02:32 PM
    Although I'm not suffering from any wifi issues, I am interested to see the outcome of this one

...and I must say TOP information from Branta! Learning a lot here, thanks for sharing
    01-02-11 03:02 PM
    OK, I think you have a non-default theme because there is no green wifi indicator on my 9700. I don't know exactly how that behaves and we still have the possibility the indicators are slow to update.

However, I was not completely clear earlier. The WiFi logo indicator has 4 states. In the default Zen theme:
    Off: no wifi.
    Grey, and SSID (LAN name) not displayed next to cell provider: WiFi enabled but not connected to router.
    Grey, SSID displayed: WiFi connected to local router only.
    White: Wifi connected to router. Tunnel established for BB data.

The Pandora error hasn't really helped yet. A reference to "tunnel failure" could still be consistent with the tunnelling part of the connection - which might happen outside your equipment if a firewall was causing problems or your ISP has congestion. OTOH what caused the tunnel to fail? The event log error message you posted is no help in isolation because the descriptions for event type and codes are not published It could mean anything.
    01-02-11 03:43 PM
    thanks for your reply/patience/perseverance

when the connection drops there is no wifi connection from BB to the router, period. as I did not have a SIM in the phone, it cant be anything to do with TMobile network, or the SIM-- right?

after it drops, the wifi is grey, but no ssid [#2]. but the network is still shown in manage connections/wifi. [but not connected]

now that I understand the indicators [thanks] I think they are working. grey can mean 2 things, depending on SSID display.

the green wifi beacon is in "manage connections"/wifi options [not on the home screen] where it shows available wifi profiles/signals, and the active connection

it seems the failure is the BB to router. if it was ISP related, then I think I would still be connected to the router [and showing ssid] but have no connection on to the internet. and all this time the thinkpad is still connected

As I've had the same issue with 2 different, new routers, I think it must be the BB.

The only 3rd party app on here is Pandora, and this started before I loaded that.

The only other non-stock issue, is that it's unlocked, but that was done by a code from TMo, not 3rd party

So, do you think there is anything on the BB that can cause the wifi connection to the router to drop, other than hard/firmware failure?

Thanks again!

OK, I think you have a non-default theme because there is no green wifi indicator on my 9700. I don't know exactly how that behaves and we still have the possibility the indicators are slow to update.

However, I was not completely clear earlier. The WiFi logo indicator has 4 states. In the default Zen theme:
    Off: no wifi.
    Grey, and SSID (LAN name) not displayed next to cell provider: WiFi enabled but not connected to router.
    Grey, SSID displayed: WiFi connected to local router only.
    White: Wifi connected to router. Tunnel established for BB data.

The Pandora error hasn't really helped yet. A reference to "tunnel failure" could still be consistent with the tunnelling part of the connection - which might happen outside your equipment if a firewall was causing problems or your ISP has congestion. OTOH what caused the tunnel to fail? The event log error message you posted is no help in isolation because the descriptions for event type and codes are not published It could mean anything.
    01-02-11 04:13 PM
    I know this is not the solution you are looking for (upgrading your OS)

But here is my experience with this same problem.

I have a similar router like you, the Linksys E1000 (N Router)

On my 8520, 8900, 9000, 9700 (with OS 5) I could never get it to connect..get the wifi icon in white that is...EVER! so I thought maybe because it is an N router they are not compatible......

Later on, when I bought a Torch.......I tried connecting......and within 5 seconds, the WiFi bars turned White and I was browsing at blistering speeds....

After selling my Torch and getting a 9700 again, Wifi was grey always

I loaded the first leaked OS 6 that was full of bugs and to my surprise....it connected with white wifi bars within seconds again and browsing ws super fast!

So I figured there was a different method of how OS 6 and OS 5 connect to Wifi....which is why I created this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/wi...os-5-a-553746/

I contacted Linksys tech support and talked to them for an hour for 3 days consecutively ......we tried everything possible randing from chaning the setup mode from push button setup, to manual connection setup, to disabling security alltogether.....but nada......they could never help me get the WiFi icon white.......they gave up after the 3rd day and said they will raise the issue with RIM as to why it connects with OS 6 and not with OS 5......

I gave up on them and forgot about WiFi with OS 5 on a Linksys Router...

On my 9700, I tried OS 5.0.0.681, 5.0.0.714, and 5.0.0.979 and they all were never able to get that WiFi icon white....

Hope my experience helps you in any way.....
    01-02-11 04:34 PM
    This is the comment of SpiralOut in the above mentioned thread:

"My router would need to be reset quite a bit when connected to my OS5 9700 too. Doesn't happen near as much with BB6.

From my experience, WiFi and GPS both lock-on much faster with BB6 then 5.0."
    01-02-11 04:40 PM
    You did mention this all started after loading pandora, maybe you could remove it and post back whether it works or not still? Also, you didn't do the ping test branta asked you to do in the command prompt on your laptop. Please do that and paste the text log from the file you directed it to in branta's post.

thanks for your reply/patience/perseverance

when the connection drops there is no wifi connection from BB to the router, period. as I did not have a SIM in the phone, it cant be anything to do with TMobile network, or the SIM-- right?

after it drops, the wifi is grey, but no ssid [#2]. but the network is still shown in manage connections/wifi. [but not connected]

now that I understand the indicators [thanks] I think they are working. grey can mean 2 things, depending on SSID display.

the green wifi beacon is in "manage connections"/wifi options [not on the home screen] where it shows available wifi profiles/signals, and the active connection

it seems the failure is the BB to router. if it was ISP related, then I think I would still be connected to the router [and showing ssid] but have no connection on to the internet. and all this time the thinkpad is still connected

As I've had the same issue with 2 different, new routers, I think it must be the BB.

The only 3rd party app on here is Pandora, and this started before I loaded that.

The only other non-stock issue, is that it's unlocked, but that was done by a code from TMo, not 3rd party

So, do you think there is anything on the BB that can cause the wifi connection to the router to drop, other than hard/firmware failure?

Thanks again!
    01-02-11 04:44 PM
    ML makes some interesting observations. That brings to mind two suggestions:

1. See if you can get some airtime on another wifi. Friend... office... neighbor... anyone for test.
    2. Your OS .714 is relatively old although still the one backed by T-Mo/USA. It might be interesting to try some later versions. On my 9700 I'm using 5.0.0.979 (thread with link is somewhere in forum) and the latest officially supported is .1014. I tried .1014 but it gave me problems with Bluetooth tethering so I downgraded.

I'm not going to suggest going to an OS6 leak until you have tested the later OS5 builds, but it would be worth a try after considering ML's comments.

However... there's another consideration if you suspect phone hardware. Check your warranty dates and don't let it slip by.
    01-02-11 04:49 PM
    ML makes some interesting observations. That brings to mind two suggestions:

1. See if you can get some airtime on another wifi. Friend... office... neighbor... anyone for test.
    2. Your OS .714 is relatively old although still the one backed by T-Mo/USA. It might be interesting to try some later versions. On my 9700 I'm using 5.0.0.979 (thread with link is somewhere in forum) and the latest officially supported is .1014. I tried .1014 but it gave me problems with Bluetooth tethering so I downgraded.

I'm not going to suggest going to an OS6 leak until you have tested the later OS5 builds, but it would be worth a try after considering ML's comments.

However... there's another consideration if you suspect phone hardware. Check your warranty dates and don't let it slip by.
    Thank you.

I posted my personal experience on this with 4 different phones using OS 5 (various build versions), so really I don't think there will be a difference from 714 to 979 with regards to the way WiFi connetions are being handled.

Which is why I strongly advice to try 6.0.0.418 at least for a day, if that doesn't cure the problem, it is very easy to go back.

Just remember to create a manual backup before you do any OS upgrade / downgrade.

I am not the only one who noticed this BTW, if you check the above thread, you will udnerstand...

I have a feeling that 90% this issue will be resolved with OS 6......if not.....go back to OS 5, it'll take u a few mins...worth a shot
    01-02-11 04:55 PM
    ML, you seem to have forgotten something in your absence...

You raved about .714 being the ONLY OS version that you ever managed to obtain full wifi connectivity (with a white wifi icon), way before there were any OS6 leaks.

Please don't make me dig up those posts as evidence

01-02-11 05:07 PM

That tends to clarify toward the local (WiFi) link being down.

Sounds logical but not complete certainty. The problem is that the BB data is all tunnelled within TCP/IP (think pipes within pipes) so you can't tell whether it is the inner pipe (BB data) or the outer wrapper (ISP/Wifi) which has stopped. Thinkpad staying connected could suggest only the inner pipe is broken - but where?

That's why I hope you can try the PING test which R/Brian points out as still outstanding. That would prove the local WiFi link one way or the other beyond any doubt.

Yes! Local radio interference. WiFi on your BB works in the 2.4GHz unlicensed band, along with everyone else's wifi, Bluetooth, cordless phones, games consoles.... and noisy electrical equipment.

I never considered this earlier, but your experience comes just after Xmas with all the new toys around. What is the full history of the problem? Did it ever work properly? When did it begin? ...etc.... All clues gratefully received.

That question also reminds me I had a big problem with interference from a neighbor's wifi a few months ago and couldn't maintain a connection on 802.11 b/g (2.4GHz). Almost every channel is squatted around here and we all have to coordinate. I switched to 802.11a/n for a few days and the problem went away.

Suggestion: Manage Connections/WiFi Options/<menu>Wifi Tools/Site Survey and start the scan. Look for other networks with similar or stronger signal levels.
    01-02-11 05:14 PM
    ML, you seem to have forgotten something in your absence...

You raved about .714 being the ONLY OS version that you ever managed to obtain full wifi connectivity (with a white wifi icon), way before there were any OS6 leaks.

Please don't make me dig up those posts as evidence

You're right bro, I had a US Robotics router at that time, it was my first 9700 if u remember.

I got this N Linksys router a few months back as I wanted N speeds and its great except for these weird issue with BB + OS 5

PS: I thought we forgot about the past

01-02-11 05:16 PM
    thanks all, for the replies

Background: I got the phone in march 2010 from TMo, but only used it in the US for 3 weeks-- didnt bother with wifi/uma. TMo unlocked it.

Then in Europe til Nov 2010, using a different SIM, no BB service. I used the BB [hotspot browser] Wifi, but it was never on constantly and iirc was a Belkin [shudder] on channel 13. it may have been dropping out, and reconnecting, but I didnt really notice it.

I notice it now Im back in the US, because I now depend on UMA, because I have zero cell reception where I am.

to clarify,

I have full BIS, UMA and white Wifi logo, when I am connected. that is not the issue.

constant disconnects between the router and the BB is the issue. I can be connected for 3-4hrs, or 5-10mins.

this happened before Pandora was installed.

I did a site survey scan, and have tried different channels incl "auto" [there are 3-5 networks visible. their signal levels are typically -80ish db and they are all on 1 or 11]. it makes no difference.

wouldnt interference also effect the thinkpad? or is thinkpad B wifi more robust? I have tried the router on B only-- makes no difference.

when the connection drops, I can now see/understand [thanks to wifi logo explanation] that I have no active wifi connection between the BB and the router, [I do still have the thinkpad connected though-- it does not drop] so I really dont understand what purpose a ping test will serve? there's nothing to ping.

theres no SIM in the BB and the mobile radio is off, so its nothing to do with RIM servers, the SIM or TMo.

the problem with testing on another wifi, is that I can stay connected for 3-4hrs sometimes. So its not as easy to test, as it would be if it disconnected every 5 mins. I may try that tomorrow though.

I think it's prob time to get another BB from TMo. I now know I dont even need to put my SIM in it, to test it.

Thanks again all, for all the help

That tends to clarify toward the local (WiFi) link being down.

Sounds logical but not complete certainty. The problem is that the BB data is all tunnelled within TCP/IP (think pipes within pipes) so you can't tell whether it is the inner pipe (BB data) or the outer wrapper (ISP/Wifi) which has stopped. Thinkpad staying connected could suggest only the inner pipe is broken - but where?

That's why I hope you can try the PING test which R/Brian points out as still outstanding. That would prove the local WiFi link one way or the other beyond any doubt.

Yes! Local radio interference. WiFi on your BB works in the 2.4GHz unlicensed band, along with everyone else's wifi, Bluetooth, cordless phones, games consoles.... and noisy electrical equipment.

I never considered this earlier, but your experience comes just after Xmas with all the new toys around. What is the full history of the problem? Did it ever work properly? When did it begin? ...etc.... All clues gratefully received.

That question also reminds me I had a big problem with interference from a neighbor's wifi a few months ago and couldn't maintain a connection on 802.11 b/g (2.4GHz). Almost every channel is squatted around here and we all have to coordinate. I switched to 802.11a/n for a few days and the problem went away.

Suggestion: Manage Connections/WiFi Options/<menu>Wifi Tools/Site Survey and start the scan. Look for other networks with similar or stronger signal levels.
    01-02-11 05:55 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD