Ok, this was very strange...I live in NH and have had no problems with Google Maps, Blackberry Maps, or Garmin Mobile properly locating me on the map using GPS. Yesterday, I was in Baltimore for the day (only saying because may be the phone was confused??) and when I got home to NH, all mapping programs kept showing my location as somewhere in the flatland of Pennsylvania. ??

Google maps would load up the correct local map, and then change to PA, showing the cursor not even on a road. It was like the location was right, but the wrong map was overlayed. All mapping programs were doing this. A battery pull did resolve it, but what gives? Any ideas?

The only two things that occurred yesterday where 1. I traveled out of the area and back, and 2. the battery got very very low (red low).

Thanks.
    07-23-10 09:29 PM
    Maybe it was defaulting to some sort of previously cached location briefly?
    07-23-10 09:31 PM
    I had never been to Baltimore since having the 9650 though. I did think that. I just loaded google maps, and it still showed me as in the middle of an open area in PA, but when I hit my location, it brought right smack to my location here in NH. But when this problem was occurring yesterday, hitting my location was NOT doing anything, it was still showing me as in PA when I was at the NH airport. Odd.
    07-23-10 09:34 PM
    I've seen the gps go wacky before for stuff like Bing Maps.

Maybe it has something to do with it trying to get location from the cell tower, and something fails so it defaults to some wacko location (which fixes by centering the map on your actual location).

Thing is I'm not thinking it's an actual phone GPS problem, but maybe a software issue with the mapping software + cell triangulation.

If say for some reason you weren't getting real gps signal, then it would have nothing to fall back on if cell triangulation wasn't working temporarily.
    07-23-10 09:36 PM
    Your phone just was not getting enough satellites to lock.

I was driving in central Florida and BB Maps and Google Maps had me in another state going 300+mph in a totally different direction of travel... I created a thread here about it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-10 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD