So I upgraded to OS 6 last night. I started it before bed and let it run over night. When I woke up this morning I had a shiny new BlackBerry! (well, the OS really makes it seem that way...)

Anyway - all day long I've been playing with the new features, discovering new stuff and figuring out what doesn't work the same anymore. All in all I'm pleased with the new OS - really top notch!

This evening while in the car as a passenger (I'm usually the driver) I decided to check out BlackBerry maps. Very cool. But I didn't have to go to the menu and enable the GPS - it just started working. I was pleasantly surprised. Then, just for fun, I loaded up Google Maps. GPS worked!! It was pin-pointing our location to within 3 meters and following the car along it's route! Does this mean that Verizon had finally released it's death-grip on the GPS for the BlackBerry? Is it just for OS 6? Is it a mistake - did they forget to close a loop-hole?

Can anybody else whose recently updated confirm this behavior?
    01-26-11 09:06 PM
    I think the last model with a locked GPS was the 8830 or the 8330. Newer models models have been unlocked for quite some time now.
    01-27-11 12:01 PM
    Really?

Wow.

Well, that makes sense, seeing as I just traded my 8330 (locked GPS) for a 9330 about a week ago. After being unable to get any real use out the GPS on 8330, I just stopped trying.

It's nice to see that Big Red finally loosened the grip a bit...

Boy, do I feel silly.

01-27-11 12:11 PM
    So I upgraded to OS 6 last night. I started it before bed and let it run over night. When I woke up this morning I had a shiny new BlackBerry! (well, the OS really makes it seem that way...)

Anyway - all day long I've been playing with the new features, discovering new stuff and figuring out what doesn't work the same anymore. All in all I'm pleased with the new OS - really top notch!

This evening while in the car as a passenger (I'm usually the driver) I decided to check out BlackBerry maps. Very cool. But I didn't have to go to the menu and enable the GPS - it just started working. I was pleasantly surprised. Then, just for fun, I loaded up Google Maps. GPS worked!! It was pin-pointing our location to within 3 meters and following the car along it's route! Does this mean that Verizon had finally released it's death-grip on the GPS for the BlackBerry? Is it just for OS 6? Is it a mistake - did they forget to close a loop-hole?

Can anybody else whose recently updated confirm this behavior?
    I don't just yet because i have'nt downloaded google maps.....although the blackberry maps have been working just fine.
    I also updated to OS 6 just recently.......have'nt put my phone down since...lol!
    Still exploring and learning all the new things....but i will let you know if i do come across it because i do like google on my phone as well!
    Have fun!
    01-30-11 11:28 AM
    Hi,
    I have the BlackBerry 9330 and I recently updated the system to 0S 6. And when I tried out the new BlackBerry maps, and when I click on "find my location" it says that I am 3 miles away from where I actually am. In OS 5 it was dead on.

Also, there is no option to "Start Navigation". In OS 5 the GPS had that option and would show on maps where I am and follow me. Is there a way to fix this or did they give way with that?

Thanks!
    02-10-11 02:06 PM
    While in BB maps, the GPS tracks but the screen does not scroll to follow the position. Not liking OS 6.
    02-11-11 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD