I have the 8900 purchased Feb.11. Lately I'm having a hard time getting the BB Maps to start. Always continue serching and sometimes never locate satellites. Tried refreshing GPS, battery pulls, moving to different area outside, re-installing os. Was on the phone with Tmo and BB support for an hour last week but the same things happening today. Any special tips to get GPS to work consistenly?????
    04-27-09 06:09 AM
    Ditch bb maps and download google maps now. If you searched you will find everyone uses googlemaps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 06:29 AM
    it's not BBMaps' issue. i think the GPS in 8900 is a little slow.
    GPS locking is very difficult.
    maybe update your OS?
    04-27-09 06:46 AM
    Im sure there is an issue with GPS on the 8900. It doesnt seem as good as it was on the storm and the 8310 for me.
    I use Telmap Navigator but quite a lot of the time, it wont pick up a signal, ive tried rebooting but it wont work
    04-27-09 06:47 AM
    Try amAze GPS ... its free and has voice guidance too ...
    04-27-09 06:49 AM
    haven't tried amAze GPS yet...will give it a go definitely.
    currently using BBMaps, Nav4All, and Google Maps.
    The GPS lock is very difficult on all of them (sometimes can't lock at all)
    different story with the Bold and 8310...GPS locks almost instantly.
    8900 hardware issue maybe?
    04-27-09 07:01 AM
    I purchased my 8900 a month ago, I haven't located satellites yet so far..
    04-27-09 07:13 AM
    Googlemaps works perfectly for every 8900 o/s for me.

04-27-09 07:19 AM
    Ditch bb maps and download google maps now. If you searched you will find everyone uses googlemaps.

I don't think its a problem with BB maps but rather a problem with hardware itself.
    04-27-09 09:18 AM
    First, battery pull. If you are running a 3rd party theme (that is, anything other than the precision themes that came on the phone when you bought it) then make sure you do not have any unread messages before restarting the device.

Next go outside to a location where you have a clear view of the sky in all directions.

Go to Options > Advanced Options > GPS > BB Button > Refresh GPS

If this does not work change the Location Aiding setting and try again
    04-27-09 09:53 AM
    First, battery pull. If you are running a 3rd party theme (that is, anything other than the precision themes that came on the phone when you bought it) then make sure you do not have any unread messages before restarting the device.

Next go outside to a location where you have a clear view of the sky in all directions.

Go to Options > Advanced Options > GPS > BB Button > Refresh GPS

If this does not work change the Location Aiding setting and try again
    Did battery pull, not running 3rd party theme. I've also moved to several different locations for a clear view. My location aiding setting is set to enabled. Still serching for satellites even after refreshing gps. Do you think there's an issue with the device itself?
    04-27-09 09:58 AM
    Try turning location aiding off and trying again ...
    04-27-09 10:17 AM
    Try turning location aiding off and trying again ...
    Will try within the hour. Thanks for your help. I'll respond as soon as I can!!!
    04-27-09 11:10 AM
    No problem with the GPS on my 8900. I actually get a fix with 5-7 satellites when sitting on my couch within a minute of searching. Top floor of a concrete building, indoor, the 8900 gets a quicker fix than a HTC TyTn II. Getting a fix indoor is just as quick as getting a fix outdoor on the balcony.
    04-27-09 12:22 PM
    For the first time to make sure it is working right i would find a place outside with no trees and let it stay there for about 5 minutes....unless it locks in sooner...

Mine does get a signal inside my house and some businesses as well.
    04-27-09 12:50 PM
    For the first time to make sure it is working right i would find a place outside with no trees and let it stay there for about 5 minutes....unless it locks in sooner...

Mine does get a signal inside my house and some businesses as well.
    Remember what I said a few weeks ago about GPS locking fast with .206? Haha, now no more. It's really having a hardtime locking now

Wonder if should follow you back to .199, Clint haha.
    These dry days (read:no OS updates) are driving me nuts lol.
    Last edited by Vicious_Cid; 04-27-09 at 04:54 PM.
    04-27-09 04:33 PM
    Strange. I could hardly ever connect with .114 and .168 but with .206 I never have any problem. What I do is turn gps location on 'save' then go back and refresh satellites. Give that a try saving before refreshing satellites.

04-27-09 04:51 PM
    Remember what I said a few weeks ago about GPS locking fast with .206? Haha, now no more. It's really having a hardtime locking now

Wonder if should follow you back to .199, Clint haha.
    These dry days (read:no OS updates) are driving me nuts lol.
    mine was locking in fast on 206 stiil, but just locked in 7 seconds on 199

04-27-09 05:14 PM
    I seem to be having problems as well... I tried everything you guys mentioned but have yet to find sattelite's...
    05-02-09 09:09 AM
    I seem to be having problems as well... I tried everything you guys mentioned but have yet to find satellites...
    Here is a picture of my GPS settings:

If your settings are the same and you go outside and do the refresh GPS step for 5 minutes and it doesn't work then I suspect that you have a defective device.

You may have to see about getting another one from your carrier.

Last edited by ClintRo; 05-02-09 at 11:10 AM.
    05-02-09 11:04 AM
    Thanks.

I've gone outside in several locations and no dice...
    05-05-09 06:38 PM
    Will GoogleMaps + build in GPS (no data plan) work if you're on ATT?
    05-05-09 11:26 PM
    My GPS seems weak. Will not lock in most buildings. I have my BB set to go into bedside mode with the radio off when I sleep and I assume it also shuts off the GPS
    After I wake up the GPS will not work with any program until I "wake it up" by refreshing the GPS.

05-05-09 11:47 PM
    None of the GPS units will lock on in a building especially commercial buildings. You are on 231 I have had a lot of sucess with 231 locking on quick, did you compare your settings to mine above?
    05-06-09 06:24 AM
    I couldn't locate satellites on .199OS, after i upgraded to .231 yesterday..... get 6 satellites in two minutes.. too damn quick..
    05-06-09 07:25 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD