04-25-09 05:34 PM
29 12
tools
    I am in the process of making a commitment on a BB. GPS is a very large part of my decision making when is comes to phone and service. I have been a customer of Tmobile for eight years and have been very satisfied overall. I have been to the corporate store in my area and the sales reps couldn't give me a feedback on how the gps works with the 8900. I realize that you can add GPS for ten bucks a month however, for that amount I would go buy a stand alone GPS device. If I choose not to add the GPS how does the GPS work? I visited a Sprint store and their GPS is pretty amazing. You can navigate the menu to look for gas stations, food, bars, hookers and everything you need with turn by turn directions. Will the 8900 offer this with some of the free third party apps? I don't currently own a BB but would like one that has strong GPS options. By the way anyone that doesn't currently have Tmobile can get an amazing deal on a 8900 at Walmart.com.
    04-21-09 09:50 PM
    I am in the process of making a commitment on a BB. GPS is a very large part of my decision making when is comes to phone and service. I have been a customer of Tmobile for eight years and have been very satisfied overall. I have been to the corporate store in my area and the sales reps couldn't give me a feedback on how the gps works with the 8900. I realize that you can add GPS for ten bucks a month however, for that amount I would go buy a stand alone GPS device. If I choose not to add the GPS how does the GPS work? I visited a Sprint store and their GPS is pretty amazing. You can navigate the menu to look for gas stations, food, bars, hookers and everything you need with turn by turn directions. Will the 8900 offer this with some of the free third party apps? I don't currently own a BB but would like one that has strong GPS options. By the way anyone that doesn't currently have Tmobile can get an amazing deal on a 8900 at Walmart.com.
    if you choose not to add GPS service from Tmobile the GPS still works with 3rd party applications eg: google maps or Blackberry maps or whatever 3rd party app you choose to buy or use for free
    do a search or go browse around in the GPS forum to find free apps with turn by turn directions and so on
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-21-09 at 09:58 PM.
    04-21-09 09:56 PM
    There are plenty of free GPS apps to choose from as well as paid. I personally use Telmpa, which is a free (kinda) GPS app. There's also AmAze which is free.
    Like the poster above me said, check the GPS section as there is more info in there.
    If you decide to do the 10 a month thing, TeleNav is a great option. I checked out the 30 day trial and it worked very well. Hope this helps somewhat, as I was in the same position as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 10:24 PM
    You have to pay for GPS through Tmo - I didn't know that.
    04-22-09 03:37 AM
    I use Telenav for driving which is great and Blackstar for hiking/kayaking, which is free and records waypoints and has a digital compass. - Jim
    04-22-09 04:35 AM
    You have to pay for GPS through Tmo - I didn't know that.
    i dont, and mine works just fine...
    04-22-09 05:20 AM
    The rep must've been talking about a separate GPS service. GPS is installed in the phone and works with all 3rd party apps. I recommend Google Maps.

GPS is quite helpful with directions and finding local business/restaurants/etc.
    04-22-09 09:18 AM
    Goggle maps and windows live search works great, but both lack turn-by-turn. amAzeGPS has turn by turn and is free but the search feature is lacking. Garmin sells their GPS software for our phone at $10 per month or $100 for the lifetime of the phone. Garmin is by far my favorite GPS software.
    04-22-09 09:43 AM
    Yeah, if you are looking for and NEED a GPS solution, you will almost need to pay for it. I have tried Google, Amaze and BB maps (all Free) and none of them have come close to the GPS software I used for Windows Mobile. They do work, but the lack of turn by turn made them more of a reference then navigation.

I use Telmap Navigator. I signed up for the Telmap User Group (aka, beta testers, but the software is stable) and get it "free" for a year. ( i have no idea what will happen after my year) But it has Turn by Turn, Directory look up (food, gas, but no hookers, sorry) , Plenty of POIs, Search from Contacts and i'm sure a feature or two that i forgot. The default Location is the UK so when searching, sometimes i have to set it to North America to find my query, but not a big deal to me. The one drawback for me, there is no "Live" view. (your position on the map without using the navigation/directions)

No GPS software i have tried has a "Live" view. I know my way around my city and sometimes i just wanna see myself on the map to judge my speed, see upcoming turns, see how close the GPS software is. I'll have to check pout the GPS forum and see if any apps for the 8900 off this.
    04-22-09 10:08 AM
    Windows live....has a speed listing and will show you live... but google maps shows you live to.... unless I mis-understand "live"
    04-22-09 10:11 AM
    I'll have to try Windows Live, but All the software has had a My Location, but i didn't think that Google "followed" you. Didn't use Google much but i'll try again today. Thanks Clint.
    04-22-09 10:17 AM
    Yes google maps does follow you but no speed reading... WL does have a speed

NP!!
    04-22-09 10:18 AM
    BTW... someone brought up the fact that BB maps has speed on it to.... I forgot about that since I deleted the feature.
    04-22-09 12:44 PM
    Sorry i cant post a link. New to the BB world.
    Been playing with my first BB for about a month.
    Since i'm new to this site i cant post links yet.
    Do a google search for "Skylab Mobilesystems".
    04-22-09 12:56 PM
    Sorry i cant post a link. New to the BB world.
    Been playing with my first BB for about a month.
    Since i'm new to this site i cant post links yet.
    Do a google search for "Skylab Mobilesystems".
    Welcome to Crackberry and Thanks for the info!!!
    04-22-09 12:58 PM
    Try Nav4All--very nice--and free.
    04-22-09 12:59 PM
    I recently upgraded to the 8900 and used the TeleNav navigation for a family trip. found a hard to find ice cream shop, legoland, and it warned me about an important road closure ahead. worked well.
    04-22-09 01:03 PM
    if you choose not to add GPS service from Tmobile the GPS still works with 3rd party applications eg: google maps or Blackberry maps or whatever 3rd party app you choose to buy or use for free
    do a search or go browse around in the GPS forum to find free apps with turn by turn directions and so on
    Does BB maps work on 8900 unlocked to ATT? when I went to download the app, it has a disclaimer saying it's not for ATT BB's.
    04-22-09 02:09 PM
    Yes google maps does follow you but no speed reading... WL does have a speed

NP!!
    Thanks again! I see it does follow me, but North is Always up.
    04-22-09 02:12 PM
    Yeah, if you are looking for and NEED a GPS solution, you will almost need to pay for it. I have tried Google, Amaze and BB maps (all Free) and none of them have come close to the GPS software I used for Windows Mobile. They do work, but the lack of turn by turn made them more of a reference then navigation.

I use Telmap Navigator. I signed up for the Telmap User Group (aka, beta testers, but the software is stable) and get it "free" for a year. ( i have no idea what will happen after my year) But it has Turn by Turn, Directory look up (food, gas, but no hookers, sorry) , Plenty of POIs, Search from Contacts and i'm sure a feature or two that i forgot. The default Location is the UK so when searching, sometimes i have to set it to North America to find my query, but not a big deal to me. The one drawback for me, there is no "Live" view. (your position on the map without using the navigation/directions)

No GPS software i have tried has a "Live" view. I know my way around my city and sometimes i just wanna see myself on the map to judge my speed, see upcoming turns, see how close the GPS software is. I'll have to check pout the GPS forum and see if any apps for the 8900 off this.
    Thanks, this is the type of info I need to make a decision. I have looked through the forums and found free app option's but I want something that work all of the time without bugs in the system. I'm not the most tech savy individual so ease of use is very important to me. As an insurance agent I need to look at homes that I will be insuring. If I'm out of the office and my staff calls me to look at a home I would like a good GPS system with turn by turn direction's. Anyone had the 8330 with Sprint and switched to the 8900 with Tmobile? If so, please let me know if your happy with the switch. Plan price's will be pretty similar so quailty of GPS and service are most important.

Thanks for the response
    04-22-09 03:58 PM
    Sounds like you need a standalone GPS

04-22-09 04:17 PM
    Standalone GPS is way better than the ones currently available on the BB's, Hands down, theres really no comparison.

Eitherway, the BB maps work on att?
    04-22-09 04:19 PM
    Just curious, but can you REALLY find hookers via GPS?
    04-22-09 09:09 PM
    Try Nav4All--very nice--and free.
    Agreed. That's what I use and love it. Does turn by turn, speed, and tells you to "pay attention" if you exceed a set speed limit.
    04-22-09 09:12 PM
    Agreed. That's what I use and love it. Does turn by turn, speed, and tells you to "pay attention" if you exceed a set speed limit.
    I HATE that feature..... I yells at me all the time!!! GRRRRR!

04-22-09 09:33 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD