I just noticed the 8820 supports WiFi but i thought that i heard AT&T didnt allow it.If i got the 8820 would i be able to use the wifi feature on at&t? Also i understand that when on a call on wifi the call is free. Am i right?
    03-29-08 02:47 AM
    I just noticed the 8820 supports WiFi but i thought that i heard AT&T didnt allow it.
    Don't believe everything you hear. =)

If i got the 8820 would i be able to use the wifi feature on at&t?
    Yes, the 8820 has Wi-Fi. To use Wi-Fi, you would either need a Wi-Fi plan for access to "public" Wi-Fi hotspots, or you would need a data plan and your own private Wi-Fi hotspot (like at home). Basically, you need an 11-G router.

Also i understand that when on a call on wifi the call is free. Am i right?
    If you have an unlimited data plan, whatever you are doing over Wi-Fi with one important exception is just data over the net, and included in your data plan.

The exception is using your BB as a tethered modem. If you tether your modem using your Wi-Fi, I have heard (but not confirmed) that you will be charged by the MB, even if you have an unlimited data plan. This makes no sense to me, but if you should try this, you'll want to check into this or only use it briefly to see if you get billed.

Patrick
    03-29-08 03:12 AM
    AT&T does not support the free call on wi-fi, only T-mo that does that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-08 08:53 AM

you would either need a Wi-Fi plan for access to "public" Wi-Fi hotspots,

Ummm...

what the **** is a "WiFi plan"??? - if there is a public WiFi signal or an office building or any other type of open WiFi signal available, you can connect to it.....you do not need any type of PLAN to connect to WiFi, ...

aka you can get the 8820 and have NO data plan and strictly use WiFi to connect and do a lot....not as much as you could do with the BB if you had a data plan...but i get along because my situation is, at work there is WiFi but my desktop does not go online because it is a law office and we dont have our computers hardwired to the internet, so I am able to check my email and be on jivetalk all day over WiFi on my BB...FOR FREE

And No, ATT does not support the calling over wifi feature which is just T-Mo right now.

eR
    03-29-08 09:07 AM
    I just noticed the 8820 supports WiFi but i thought that i heard AT&T didnt allow it.If i got the 8820 would i be able to use the wifi feature on at&t? Also i understand that when on a call on wifi the call is free. Am i right?
    Where did you here this? The 8820 and 8120 have wi-fi on AT&T.
    03-29-08 11:42 AM
    The difference between T-Mobile and AT&T is UMA support.

With a UMA account (H@H), there is a dedicated server monitoring your signal level and switching between network and Wifi to give you the best service.

Your Wifi enabled device can still be used to connect to any available hot spot and let you use the Browser.

In order to market the UMA service, T-Mobile offers a free calling feature, but that is just the tip of the UMA iceberg.

Network traffic is reduced, Wifi has incredible bandwidth and massive signal coverage potential.
    Last edited by Stoner; 03-29-08 at 12:24 PM.
    03-29-08 12:22 PM
    so at&t does have uma service, but they dont offer free calls? so will the phone autmaticaly switch from wifi to regular coverage with att or just tmobile.
    03-29-08 10:21 PM
    Ummm...

what the **** is a "WiFi plan"??? - if there is a public WiFi signal or an office building or any other type of open WiFi signal available, you can connect to it.....you do not need any type of PLAN to connect to WiFi, ...

aka you can get the 8820 and have NO data plan and strictly use WiFi to connect and do a lot....not as much as you could do with the BB if you had a data plan...but i get along because my situation is, at work there is WiFi but my desktop does not go online because it is a law office and we dont have our computers hardwired to the internet, so I am able to check my email and be on jivetalk all day over WiFi on my BB...FOR FREE
    A "Wi-Fi Plan" (AT&T) allows you to connect to the pay Wi-Fi network. For example, the local mall here has a Wi-Fi network so you can access the Net while shopping in the mall. But, to do so, you must have a Wi-Fi account, which is what the Wi-Fi plan gives you.

Yeap, you can connect all day long to your private Wi-Fi, as you have the login and are paying for the underlying Internet connection. So, if you had a Blackberry app that can do voice over IP, you could use it to make calls.

The difference between T-Mobile and AT&T is UMA support.

With a UMA account (H@H), there is a dedicated server monitoring your signal level and switching between network and Wifi to give you the best service.

Your Wifi enabled device can still be used to connect to any available hot spot and let you use the Browser.

Network traffic is reduced, Wifi has incredible bandwidth and massive signal coverage potential.
    Well, my 8820 doesn't need any T-mobile app (or any for that matter) to automatically determine if it should use EDGE or Wi-Fi. It has the option to allow the phone to decide which is the best path, and uses it. When I pull up to my house, it automatically knows the Wi-Fi is now available and faster.

Patrick
    03-30-08 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD