Last month, I bought my first blackberry. At the AT&T store, I upgrade to Blackberry Curve, 8310. The reason why I mainly picked that because the store girl told me that 8310 has integrated GPS, camera AND wifi.

My initial idea was to get a blackberry with wifi so that I can use wifi without taking the data plan (now, I am not sure if it is possible especially with AT&T). I didn't do my research right.

However, after purchasing the curve, and after using it for a week, I realized that it has some issues with the GPS (it wasn't registering me properly) and I also discovered that it doesn't have Wifi, and I felt like as if I was mislead.

So I went back to the store after a week, and I changed the curve with a new 8820 which DOES have wifi, but no camera and so far I love my 8820.

But now after reading reports everywhere where people are preferring curve over 8820 has left me wondering, whether I did the right thing. Wifi is important to me, but a camera would have been nice too.. And again, for using wifi, I need data plan any ways.

So after a month, I am having double thoughts if I did a smart move by choosing 8820 over a curve.

So my question is, a) whether 8820 is "better" than 8310 and if i did the 'right' thing, b) can I still go back and change to 8310 after 35 days of purchasing, and c) if it is really possible to use the wifi without the data plan.

Thanks for helping a new member out!
    12-30-07 11:28 PM
    If you like your WiFi then just buy a GPS puck if you really need GPS. As for using WiFi without a data plan, you don't get your push email without data and many of the apps on the phones don't know to use the WiFi yet. That being said, I love my Curve, but I have an 8320 with WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-07 10:23 AM
    Thanks for helping me out guys. I think I will stick to 8820. I was playing with the wifi last night and I discovered a few things:

a) When I turned off the "Mobile Network - AT&T" from "Manage connections" - Internet works, but Opera browser doesn't work. Blackberry browser works.

b) When I turned on the "Mobile Network - AT&T" and turned off only the "Data Services" in "Options --> Mobile Network", the wifi also gets disabled. I tried pinging from my BB to my wireless router in that mode, it didn't work. No internet apps worked

So it seems like it's pretty much possible to use the wifi without the data plan (based on the first experiment), however, I am not sure why the wifi gets disabled when I just turn off the "Data Services", which I believe is one of the ways to disable EDGE. Also, I may be wrong, but it seems like Opera doesn't like wifi and uses only EDGE (any workarounds?).

But yeah, thanks for helping me out, I appreciate all your help.
    12-31-07 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD