So I unlocked the phone and went through the instructions on removing AT&Ts programing, so BBmaps icon shows up.

My question is, even with its built-in GPS, do I still need a data plan to run maps? I get varying opinions on this.

If telenav is the only way to run gps, then why have it built-in to the phone. Ideally you'd want to be able to use it with or without a simcard right?
    02-05-08 12:33 AM
    nevermind i misread
    02-05-08 08:00 AM
    Yes, you need a data plan. ANY mapping software will need to superimpose your GPS location over a map... the map data downloaded counts as data on your plan. You really need an unlmited plan to do such things. You can easily go over the minimum data plan MB sizes.
    02-05-08 08:51 AM
    Ohh I see...thanks for the response.

What if I were to buy a product like Garmin Mobile for the Blackberry, connecting it using bluetooth. Would I still need a data plan to use that GPS function?
    02-06-08 02:35 AM
    Nvm...it seems the only way currently is still through a data plan. Unless some third party software maker makes it so that maps are loaded onto an SD card, and uses the built-in gps to find location.

Its strange, CoPilot made that exact thing for Windows bases smart phones, but didn't do it for the blackberry...I wonder if RIM had anything to do with that.
    02-06-08 03:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD