Hey folks,

I'm new to CB, so I hope you don't bite

I had a simple question. My employer is ready to pass along a hand-me-down BB for me to use and I'm wondering which one to take.

A 8300 Curve or a 8820 World?

Now, before you jump to answer, there is one other caveat - I do not currently have a data plan.

I will have a data plan in the near future, but it may be a few months (contractual/money issues on behalf of the employers plan).

With that in mind, which phone should I take?

I like the aesthetics of the curve, but the 8820's Wi-Fi is REALLY making a pull for me since I can use that to get push e-mail at the office and free wi-fi hot spots until I get my data plan, whereas with the Curve, I'm stuck without any internet contact until I get a data plan. That is the only thing biasing me towards the 8820 right now.

Opinions? And just to confirm - I can use Wi-Fi without a data plan right?

Thanks!

-Vide
    08-13-09 03:14 PM
    8820 for SURE. With no data plan, you can use it's WIFI. It also comes with GPS.

The Curve 8300 comes with neither.. EASY choice. 8820.
    08-13-09 03:30 PM
    Well, as far as i know...the only carrier who will let a customer use a BB with no data is ATT. So if you have Att, then I think you're okay (please, anyone...correct me if I'm wrong on that in regards to a carrier allowing you to have a BB with no data).

The World edition usually has less memory and no camera. Those are usually a big issue for most ppl.

I personally am biased to the World edition and loved mine to pieces when I had it. Most ppl like the Curve better simply because it tends to be more up-to-date in regards to OS, memory, etc etc etc. But if you can get the Wifi and such...the World seems like a better option for your needs.
    08-13-09 03:31 PM
    The 8820 has the wi-fi and gps, the curve (8300) does not. The push e-mail does not work via wi-fi, a data plan IS required, though you CAN check e-mail via the phone's browser.

T-Mobile also allows berries to not have a data plan. based on the two models listed it appears you are either with AT&T or T-Mo.

Are the phones BIS or BES enabled currently? (BES is enterprise server, basically work controlled)
    08-13-09 03:36 PM
    The 8820 has the wi-fi and gps, the curve (8300) does not. The push e-mail does not work via wi-fi, a data plan IS required, though you CAN check e-mail via the phone's browser.

T-Mobile also allows berries to not have a data plan. based on the two models listed it appears you are either with AT&T or T-Mo.

Are the phones BIS or BES enabled currently? (BES is enterprise server, basically work controlled)

I think they are currently disabled but can be enabled? Sorry - Im new to this. They have been enabled in the past but are being given to me in a disabled state?

And yeah, T-Mo.

Ok, so no push on Wi-Fi, but I can browse to a digital client to check gmail, etc? Thats fine. Not the best, but way better than nothing.
    08-13-09 03:42 PM
    Push email works perfectly fine over WIFI. Trust me, it WORKS FINE. You need the Host Routing Table pre-downloaded on the device, but you can do this by putting in a SIM chip with BB data, let it download (check Settings, Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table), once it's full, take SIM chip out, put yours back in and when you're on WIFI, push email works.

It works better over WIFI than it does on the cellular signal.
    08-13-09 04:13 PM
    Push email works perfectly fine over WIFI. Trust me, it WORKS FINE. You need the Host Routing Table pre-downloaded on the device, but you can do this by putting in a SIM chip with BB data, let it download (check Settings, Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table), once it's full, take SIM chip out, put yours back in and when you're on WIFI, push email works.

It works better over WIFI than it does on the cellular signal.
    Interesting. Ill have to do that - my boss has data so I'd be able to borrow his SIM. How long does the d/l take? I assume its momentary? Is there any way to d/l it manually without a SIM?
    08-13-09 06:17 PM
    the HRT downloads instantly.. it's part of the initial service book download once your device connects in.
    08-14-09 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD