Hi

have recently changed my carrier/service provider and all is set up to recieve texts, use the internet (default setting to hotspot) but now won't let me send or receive emails. I've gone to email set up in setup and tried to re-establish my email link but it keeps saying 'your device had a problem connecting to the server' - how can this be when it connects to tthe server for normal internet use?

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

thanks

O
    02-19-11 07:28 AM
    I am taking for granted you are a BIS subscriber. Try resending your service books and doing a battery pull.
    02-19-11 09:34 AM
    Are u a bis subscriber ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 09:46 AM
    what is a BIS subscription?

I've tried resending my service books but I can't get past the page where I have to go into email setup as it just re-alerts me that I can't connect to the server?
    02-19-11 10:33 AM
    BIS is the Blackberry Data Service required for push E-mail and many app. With out BIS it is just a cell phone.
    02-19-11 11:07 AM
    but I can use my phone to connect with the internet via WIFI, why not email?
    02-19-11 02:22 PM
    but I can use my phone to connect with the internet via WIFI, why not email?
    You cannot set up push email on the device without a BlackBerry data plan (BIS). The only thing you can do with WiFi is log in to webmail accounts such as m.google.com or m.yahoo.com using the hotspot browser whilst connected to WiFi.

To set up push email you need BIS. The push email requires service books, since it uses RIM's servers. No BlackBerry data plan = no service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 02:26 PM
    ok, so i can use wifi to access facebook, and pretty much any other site i want to (which i'm doing) but I can't do email without having a blackberry data plan?

my service provider on my original SIM card was virgin, and I could do everything on that but now i've changed that's the only service that isn't available?
    02-19-11 02:38 PM
    What service provider are you using now?
    02-19-11 02:53 PM
    giffgaff. they use the o2 network in Britain
    02-19-11 03:15 PM
    You stated that with your previous carrier "I could do everything on that". What exactly does that mean?

If you were able to get the email setup and push email with Virgin, that means that you had some sort of BlackBerry Internet Service Data Plan with them. You need one with your new carrier. And you need to add your device PIN and IMEI to the BlackBerry Internet Service with the new carrier.
    02-19-11 03:55 PM
    How to giffgaff a Blackberry...

Why can't I browse the internet on my Blackberry?

"To use internet services on a Blackberry, like push email or browsing, a subscription to Blackberry is required, which unfortunately means that these services are not supported by giffgaff (like most pay as you go companies).

Blackberries with an active giffgaff SIM will be able to make and receive voice calls and texts."
    02-19-11 05:07 PM
    Well, there ... you ... go.

It's not supported.
    02-19-11 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD