Hi there,

I recently bought a blackberry curve 8520, and i decided to buy a "BlueNEXT Bluetooth GPS Receiver BN-901S". I got it the other day, and i tried to connect the two. I managed to pair the two via bluetooth pretty easily (according to the blackberry), but the device didn't seem to recognise that they had connected.

There was one flashing light, and after i looked what this meant in the manual, i realised it was indeed because the two weren't properly connected. Also in the manual, i read that i may need to 'check serial port in bluetooth settings' - here's what it says -
    "After complete pairing with the receiver, please click "serial port" to confirm the assigned COM port. If you use PDA/PC to pair the GPS receiver, please check "outbound com port"."

Has anyone connected a bluetooth gps receiver to they're phone, and know where I am going wrong?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    10-29-09 09:04 AM
    Hey Ravi, just so happens I have. Mine's a Freedom Keyring GPS receiver.

Have to say it works perfectly (sadly not for Google Maps as Google doesn't support external GPS devices as yet).

I tried it on BB Maps, Nav4All, GPSed, amAze and Telmap Navigator. No issues.

My Freedom thingy doesn't have any software, just plug n play.
    On the BB make sure you enable all Bluetooth services, like data transfer etc.

Sorry I can only advise on the BB side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 09:14 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I checked my bluetooth settings and all the services are enabled. I can't seem to figure out at all what the problem is. I have tried to discover the device on BBmaps, google maps, and nav4all, and nothing works.

This receiver doesn't have any software either, it says you just need to connect and then it should work, so i can't see what else I should try.

I hope i haven't just bought a rubbish device haha
    10-29-09 09:20 AM
    Forgot to say - go to settings - advanced options - gps. Set location 'on', and your device should also show up there too as GPS data service. Let me know if that helps.

10-29-09 09:27 AM
    Yeah i tried that too, and it doesn't show up. The location is set as ON, but there is no GPS data source. It must be cause the two aren't properly connected. Something must be stopping them from connecting on my phone, but i really have no idea what.

Thanks for all this help mate, appreciate it
    10-29-09 09:35 AM
    No probs, sorry its not helped. Try deleting the device from the BB and then adding again? (Clutching at straws now!).

You've probably seen the dedicated GPS and Bluetooth forums on Crackberry.

May be some help in there?

10-29-09 10:43 AM
    Yeah i've had a look through them but can't seem to find anything. Thanks alot for your help mate!

Any other suggestions at all, from anyone, would be greatly appreciated.
    10-29-09 12:29 PM
    hi,just wondering if you have had any luck with regards pairing the two devices it's only i have the same problem,i contacted Blackberry and my service provider and had no joy what so ever my blackberry will pair no problem with any other bluetooth device and hold a connection,but as for the bt gps reciever i cant use it hope you had some luck with yours just wondering if you had found a solution,may thanks kind regards mike.(tried everything n the book regarding settings etc advanced settings encryption off etc.)
    11-26-09 01:03 PM
    Purchased the same GPS and the same problem with my 8520, they pair butdo not connect. Have emailed Mobile Fun but now I do not hold out much hope other than a refund.
    Rich
    11-29-09 09:16 AM
    Hi
    I too have received a BlueNext external GPS for my 8520 - as a Christmas gift.
    The problems you describe are exactly the same as the ones I am having.
    I too have tried every configuration I can think of but to no avail. I do not think the receiver is picking up any satellite signal - the indicator light is not on.
    I emailed the company (Mobilefun.co.uk) before I put the receiver on my list for Santa and they assured me it was compatible with the 8520.
    I think I too may have to ask for a refund.
    12-28-09 05:59 AM
    Hi,
    i have the same problem here and no luck at all so did anyone solved this issue
    K.Elwan
    01-01-10 12:08 PM
    i've got same problem. pairing light on gps remains blinking. no external gps device listed on blackberry.
    01-05-10 06:01 AM
    same here 8100 pearl
    steve
    02-04-10 11:33 AM
    On Amazon UK model shown seems to be BN-805GR and a reviewer says it paired with his 8320. However I received BN-901S and that would no way pair with my 8520. BlueNEXT support is hopeless but dig into FAQs and they say their Bluetooth GPSes only work with Windows and Symbian driven devices. Now why haven't they put that in the spec sheets to save us all time and cost..grrrr. If anybody knows a GPS that works with 8520 pse let us know.
    02-18-10 04:12 AM
    Try reading this thread again from the top. You won't have to scroll down far.

02-18-10 05:02 AM
    Happy to confirm these work well together. BB Maps may say it can't find GPS info but actually it has.
    02-21-10 08:19 AM
    Does anyone know if and how i can get directions from my current location on my 8520 for example if i get lost and need direction from where ever i am on the road to a certain place can or how do i do that??

thanks for all your help,
    03-07-10 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD