I have been attemping to find a tracking device that would work on my 8330 but through some research I have found that Verizon blocks the internal GPS from 3rd party use inorder to make people pay for the VZNav. I'm not interested in navigation, I just want to be able to track my phone online. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me whether or not I could connect to a program like Instamapper or BBTracker using and external GPS? I have looked at several externals that connect via Bluetooth but I dont want to pay $70 for one only to find that its not what I need. Has anyone done this? Heard of anyone who has? Suggestions?
    06-16-09 04:11 PM
    I believe the newer OS's(4.5 on) unlock the GPS to be used by 3rd party applications
    06-16-09 06:24 PM
    I believe the newer OS's(4.5 on) unlock the GPS to be used by 3rd party applications
    yes, i use bbmaps now and its free and works perfect.
    06-16-09 06:26 PM
    From what I understand, there are "external" GPS devices that will connect to a BB via bluetooth (you won't be able to use any other BT device while this is connected mind you) and by pass the block that VZN has bestowed upon it's users. I'd do a search on here for something like "Using GPS Puck" or "bypass GPS verizon" or something simliar. Good luck bub!
    06-16-09 06:27 PM
    yes, i use bbmaps now and its free and works perfect.
    BBMaps works on all Verizon devices with OS4.5 and higher. All other applications are not able to access GPS with having VZN Navigator enabled.
    06-16-09 06:28 PM
    I also have an 8330, on the Verizon network.

I too wanted to use a tracking program, but then realized that the internal GPS worked only with VZNav and BBMaps.

I went ahead and bought the Freedom Keychain 2000 (from the CB Store) and use it without problems with GPSed (gpsed.com).

It also works great with Google maps (as long as there is another nav program running in the background), giving locations to within 3m (9ft).

Search the threads here, or go to the section on GPS & Mapping.

Good luck!
    06-16-09 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD