When using "where I am" under "find location," the phone sticks on "searching for sattelites"
    "start gps navigation" does the same thing. It works on my fianc�'s 8330 just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 01:23 PM
    Two things to check.

1. Make sure under options>advanced options>GPS, the setting for 911 only is set to location.

2. Also in the advanced options>applications, than the permissions for BBmaps are all set to allow. Highlight BBmaps>menu>edit permissions
    06-12-09 01:41 PM
    Those things have been done.
    I don't know what else to try...

06-12-09 02:03 PM
    I have BB maps installed and it shows under the application list on my curve 8310, but I don't see the app it self anywhere oin my phone. No icon in the home screen. I made sure to select Show All in home screen and I still don't find it.

What could it be? And also, is the GPS on my 8310 set to work automatically, or do I have to make some changes on my phone for it to work?

06-12-09 02:33 PM
    I have BB maps installed and it shows under the application list on my curve 8310, but I don't see the app it self anywhere oin my phone. No icon in the home screen. I made sure to select Show All in home screen and I still don't find it.

What could it be? And also, is the GPS on my 8310 set to work automatically, or do I have to make some changes on my phone for it to work?

You can install it, but BBMaps won't run on AT&T BlackBerries after OS4.3 without a workaround. AT&T prefers you to use their Nav app.

Here is a link to a solution that appears to work: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/fin...maps-t-117957/

And another link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/how...b-maps-118076/
    06-12-09 02:44 PM
    When using "where I am" under "find location," the phone sticks on "searching for sattelites"
    "start gps navigation" does the same thing. It works on my fianc�'s 8330 just fine.

What OS version are you running? You have to be running OS 4.5 for BBMaps to work on an 8330. If you are running 4.5, and you've done the steps lastraid identified, then try turning off GPS navigation in BBMaps, and back on again. I have found that if BBMaps doesn't find the satellites in 30 seconds or less, it won't at all. Turning GPS navigation Off and then back On always results in it finding the satellites the second time.
    06-12-09 02:48 PM
    Telus is the same way. The workaround was great. I get 8-12 satellites now, where before mine was useless.

06-12-09 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the info, I will look into it and post my findings.

06-12-09 03:05 PM
    What OS version are you running? You have to be running OS 4.5 for BBMaps to work on an 8330. If you are running 4.5, and you've done the steps lastraid identified, then try turning off GPS navigation in BBMaps, and back on again. I have found that if BBMaps doesn't find the satellites in 30 seconds or less, it won't at all. Turning GPS navigation Off and then back On always results in it finding the satellites the second time.
    I an running the OS that came on the phone. 4.5.0.127

I tried turning gps off and on, and still nothing...

The phone is on alltel, and out of the home area. That shouldn't have an effect right?

06-12-09 05:56 PM
    I an running the OS that came on the phone. 4.5.0.127

I tried turning gps off and on, and still nothing...

The phone is on alltel, and out of the home area. That shouldn't have an effect right?

Correct, being out of your home area won't matter. Is your 8330 very new? Is it possibly an 8330m? If so, you may have a more difficult problem. The m series devices have been reported having GPS problems. See here for example: http://forums.crackberry.com/f110/8330m-gps-182497/
    06-12-09 08:55 PM
    No. It isn't an 8330m. Its just an 8330 v4.5.0.127.

Gps has been enabled, maps permissions set to allow...

Reinstalling the app?

06-13-09 09:28 AM

Reinstalling the app?

The GPS needs to access the location server so it knows what sats to look for and use. Lots of curves have the server setting missing in the firmwere. Without these setting it will not work.

Just some info for you on how it works.

How CDMA GPS Works in Blackberry

Different modes of operation are chosen automatically or specified by software, In the A-GPS modes, gpsOne technology utilizes assistance data from a location server in the wireless network in combination with A-GPS circuitry and software in the wireless device.
    Standalone (Autonomous) GPS: The GPS receiver calculates a position without using any assistance data and without a connection to the wireless network.

Note: Verizon does not support the Standalone mode. For BlackBerry Device Software 4.7 and later (ie 9530 Storm), Standalone mode is open to applications that are signed by RIM.
    MS-Based: The GPS receiver calculates the position using assistance data from a location server to increase cold-start sensitivity and reduce the start time for an initial position calculation.
    MS-Assisted: The GPS receiver uses assistance data from a location server to make measurements related to its distance from the GPS satellites, then sends this information to the location server where the position is calculated. This mode also increases cold start sensitivity and reduces the start time for an initial position calculation.
    Note: Verizon requires third-party applications to have a valid Client ID and Password for access to their Location Proxy Server (LPS).

There are three more modes that use a combination of MS-Based and MS-Assisted to achieve a location fix.

Speed optimal
    � MS-based position calculation is preferred
    � PDE-based fix/MS-assisted mode is done only if MS-based position calculation fix fails
    � Ephemeris download from PDE is preferred as compared with data demodulation

Accuracy optimal
    � PDE-based position calculation/MS-assisted mode is a preferred option MS-based position calculation only if PDE-based fix failsEphemeris download from PDE is preferred as compared with data demodulation

Data optimal
    � Standalone mode is the preferred option and minimum PDE/network access is allowed
    � Data demodulation is preferred as compared with ephemeris download from PDE
    � MS-assisted position fix if MS-based position calculation fails to generate a fix
    � Data optimal mode disables SA download
    Finally, another mode that simply returns the location of the cellular transmission site in contact with the BlackBerry smartphone is known as CellSite. This mode is not part of Qualcomm gpsOne but is worth mentioning. Accuracy of this mode is obviously low: 400m to 2500m in urban areas and will vary by location. CellSite is recommended when accuracy is of least concern.

The different types of fixes are:
    Cellsite: Which is the least accurate but the fastest location mode, uses cellsite towers that attempt to provide triangulated GPS information.
    Assisted: Which is more accurate than the Cellsite fix but not as fast, uses the network in an assisted search.
    Autonomous (Standalone): Which yields the most accurate fix but provides the first fix the slowest, uses the on-board GPS chip.
    Note: All Qualcomm gpsOne modes, except Standalone and Cellsite, require a connection to a PDE server. To enable a connection to a PDE server, the IP address and the port of the server must be configured.

Resetting the LocationProvider
    A LocationProvider may stop returning fixes when network coverage deteriorates or the BlackBerry is in an environment that is not suitable for receiving GPS data (for example, indoors). In these scenarios, the GPS chip will go completely cold to preserve battery power. If this event is triggered, an application can reset the provider to restore the GPS chip.

After a reset, the application can try to get a fix again; however, if the GPS chip fails to get a fix (if the network coverage or environment has not improved), it will again go cold and will stop getting fixes. It is strongly recommended not to reset the provider at an interval less than three minutes since it can take up to three minutes to get a fix from a cold start.

Keeping the GPS chip �hot�
    The GPS chip is considered �hot� when it has an active connection with the satellites. A fix can be obtained almost instantly when the chip is hot. To preserve battery power, the chip is configured to go cold if the application does not ask for fixes for some time. From a cold start it may take much longer to get a fix. For applications that require frequent fixes, it is recommended that the application queries for fixes every 10 seconds.

Go to http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/rea...v1-0-a-192999/ for how to fix it. But I'll save you from reading all 25 pages. See the attachment below
    06-13-09 09:54 AM
    why dont you download poynt? thats the stuff. i think i got mine at blackberry.com. or you can message me with your email and i can email it to you.
    06-13-09 02:54 PM

Reinstalling the app?
    Is the device Alltel Branded or Verizon Branded?

If it's Alltel Branded, upgrade the Phone OS to at least version 4.5.0.131.
    06-13-09 02:57 PM
    Is the device Alltel Branded or Verizon Branded?

If it's Alltel Branded, upgrade the Phone OS to at least version 4.5.0.131.

I agree. I could not get GPS to work with .127. Seems Alltel had it blocked for some reason. Upgraded to .138 then 160 and now get a lock in 2 min or less.
    06-13-09 03:29 PM
    R u saying that u went into advanced settings, gps, and changed from 911 only to location on? Make sure you save those changes. Then go back into bbmaps and hit the menu key and then start navigation.

It should then say searching for sattellites and bingo you have gps navigation. Bbmaps is ok but for directions I hate it

06-13-09 03:29 PM
    I could not get gps working on my 8830, then I upgraded to .127 and it worked.
    06-13-09 06:31 PM
    I was having a strange issue with BB Maps. It was having trouble finding a satellite, so I had to keep doing start gps/stop gps. Then it went all funny. The dashboard disappeared completely and wouldn't come back up. I'd hit, stat gps navigation and it wouldn't even say that it was searching for satellites, and it would say Space = Hide Dashboard....yet the dash wasn't even there.

The fix came when I would choose find location, and then chose "Where I am". Once it had a lock on me, everything else went back to normal.
    07-16-09 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD