Hey guys,

My 8330 works very slow from time to time. Sometimes it'd take a few minutes for me to open up my messages inbox. I tried battery pull and wiping everything off and resetting the berry but neither helped much. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks,
    Hunter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 03:45 PM
    What OS is currently installed on the device? How many apps do you have installed that may running in the background causing the lag?
    12-27-10 03:47 PM
    Also, how much available memory do you have? Go to Options>Status and see what the file free is.
    12-27-10 04:15 PM
    File Free: 30895003 bytes
    I also have a 1GB MicroSD card in there, not sure if that helps at all.
    The only apps I've installed are: Facebook, Facebook chat, Backup Assistant and Crackberry theme store. All the other apps are all packaged with the phone, because things like Slacker Radio and NFL Mobile are still there even after I wiped the phone.

Also, what's the fastest/best OS for Verizon's 8330?
    Last edited by agp423; 12-27-10 at 05:02 PM.
    12-27-10 05:00 PM
    And BB Desktop Manager has the following options for upgrading:
    12-27-10 05:20 PM
    One thing you must do with the 8330 to keep it running as fast as it can is when you are done with an app is make sure you close it and not just click the back button. This will allow the device to run at its best.

When I was using the 8330 I used a OS5 hybrid.
    12-27-10 06:01 PM
    Rumor has it () that OS 5 is slow on 8330. Is this OS 5 hybrid better than BB's official OS 5?
    12-27-10 06:04 PM
    Rumor has it () that OS 5 is slow on 8330. Is this OS 5 hybrid better than BB's official OS 5?
    The hybrid is WAY better than the official OS5 and OS4.5. Very little memory leakage, good battery life, and very responsive.
    12-27-10 08:49 PM
    I just skimmed through the detailed installation guide, maybe I will try this tomorrow. If I mess up during the installation, how easy is it to revert back to my current OS?
    12-27-10 09:42 PM
    Simple, just plug your BB into DM and reload 4.5.

12-27-10 09:52 PM
    Hi there. First of all, it could very well be that your phone is low on memory. Memory low can certainly slows down a phone capabilities. Not only that, everytime you finish using an app, click close or exit instead of just escape button. I learn the hard way and that worn out my battery pretty fast. Not to forget that it effects my phone speed.

Lastly, if the phone is still slow after you done all of that, I suggest you backup your phone and do a reinstall of OS for your phone. Also, maybe (MAYBE) there are too many messages you have stored in the phone. That is why you say you open message (for example) and it affects the speed of the phone

Just my two cents and hope this helps!

12-28-10 03:50 AM
    File Free: 30895003 bytes
    Looks like he has a fair amount of free memory available. How have you been closing your apps? Are you backing out of them properly using the back button, or do you press the red end key?

Hi there. First of all, it could very well be that your phone is low on memory. Memory low can certainly slows down a phone capabilities. Not only that, everytime you finish using an app, click close or exit instead of just escape button. I learn the hard way and that worn out my battery pretty fast. Not to forget that it effects my phone speed.

Lastly, if the phone is still slow after you done all of that, I suggest you backup your phone and do a reinstall of OS for your phone. Also, maybe (MAYBE) there are too many messages you have stored in the phone. That is why you say you open message (for example) and it affects the speed of the phone

Just my two cents and hope this helps!

I agree with this post. I know you said you were going to give a Hybrid a shot, have you had a chance to load one on there yet? I'm curious to see what you think. I've never used a hybrid OS, always used official releases.
    12-28-10 07:41 AM
    I usually just press the red hang up key when I'm done using the app. But the only app I use is the Facebook app. I've gotten rid of the theme store and Facebook chat app.

I do not have a lot of messages saved, as I just activated this phone two days ago. I only have a few emails and SMS.

I will give Hybrid a shot later on today and will let you know how it goes.
    12-28-10 08:21 AM
    I usually just press the red hang up key when I'm done using the app. But the only app I use is the Facebook app. I've gotten rid of the theme store and Facebook chat app.

I do not have a lot of messages saved, as I just activated this phone two days ago. I only have a few emails and SMS.

I will give Hybrid a shot later on today and will let you know how it goes.
    There's your problem.

Picture the red end key like the minimize button on a Windows computer. Pressing the red end key DOES NOT close whatever app you are using, it simply puts it in the background, where it runs continously, using memory and data, and especially Facebook which will continue to update as it stays open. This is true for not only the Facebook app, but for all applications on your BB. Camera, Contacts, Memopad, all applications on your BB act in this way regardless if you loaded them or if they came stock on your device.

The proper way to close out of ANY application after you are done using it is to back out using the back arrow key (escape key). The other way is the press menu (BlackBerry key) and select "Close." Doing this will ensure that your BB runs efficiently all the time.

If you press and hold the "ALT" key, and press the back arrow key (escape key) it will bring up a box on your screen that has some application icons in it. This is your application switcher. Picture it like the taskbar at the bottom of a Windows PC. All of the applications that you have running will be in this. There are 5 applications that will ALWAYS be on: Home, Messages, Phone, Browser, BlackBerry Messenger. These apps always run, you cannot shut them down. Keep the ALT key held down after you press the back arrow key (press once, do not hold the back arrow key) and scroll through the open applications with your trackball. Once you've found an app that you want to go into, highlight it, and release the ALT key. This will open the app right where you left off. From there, back out of the application properly.

This will greatly improve the performance of your BB, not only with speed of operation, but it will improve your battery life as well.
    agp423 likes this.
    12-28-10 09:05 AM
    Wow, I never realized the Camera was on this whole time haha
    Thanks for your help! Another question - is there a keyboard shortcut to close an app other than pressing the BB button then scrolling down to "Close" or pressing the backspace many times?
    12-28-10 09:14 AM
    Unfortunately not, you have to back out of the app or press menu and select close. You can press the BB button, then press the "C" key which 9 times out of 10 will take you to the close option. It's kind of a pain in the beginning, but after a while it becomes second nature.

The cool thing is once you download a couple apps that can run in the background it makes it easy to do things. I use ScoreMobile every once in a while, and you can open that up to the game you want, press the red end key, and the scores will update while the app runs in the background. Same goes for if you're writing a Facebook post, and you get a SMS or a BBM, you can press the red end key, open your text message, read it, reply, then open the application switcher, jump back to your FB message and you can pick up right where you left off.

One thing that I hate is that when you go and buy a BB in a carrier store, they don't tell you how the device works. I've never met a person who purchased a BB, or any smartphone for that matter that left the store with a somewhat decent understanding of how their device works. BB's have multitasked like this forever, and for some reason nobody knows how to take advantage of it when they leave the store. I didn't know about it when I got my first BB, I learned it on here... just frustrates me. Of course, if the store explained everything, we wouldn't have CB!!

Anyways! Glad we got your problem squared away!
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-28-10 at 09:41 AM.
    12-28-10 09:37 AM
    There's your problem.

Picture the red end key like the minimize button on a Windows computer. Pressing the red end key DOES NOT close whatever app you are using, it simply puts it in the background, where it runs continously, using memory and data, and especially Facebook which will continue to update as it stays open. This is true for not only the Facebook app, but for all applications on your BB. Camera, Contacts, Memopad, all applications on your BB act in this way regardless if you loaded them or if they came stock on your device.

The proper way to close out of ANY application after you are done using it is to back out using the back arrow key (escape key). The other way is the press menu (BlackBerry key) and select "Close." Doing this will ensure that your BB runs efficiently all the time.

If you press and hold the "ALT" key, and press the back arrow key (escape key) it will bring up a box on your screen that has some application icons in it. This is your application switcher. Picture it like the taskbar at the bottom of a Windows PC. All of the applications that you have running will be in this. There are 5 applications that will ALWAYS be on: Home, Messages, Phone, Browser, BlackBerry Messenger. These apps always run, you cannot shut them down. Keep the ALT key held down after you press the back arrow key (press once, do not hold the back arrow key) and scroll through the open applications with your trackball. Once you've found an app that you want to go into, highlight it, and release the ALT key. This will open the app right where you left off. From there, back out of the application properly.

This will greatly improve the performance of your BB, not only with speed of operation, but it will improve your battery life as well.
    This is very sound advice no matter which Blackberry or OS you are running.
    12-28-10 09:42 AM
    This is very sound advice no matter which Blackberry or OS you are running.
    Thank you sir! I'm just blown away sometimes that the places where we go to purchase these expensive phones don't explain this stuff to the customer. They just hand you the phone and say "Best of luck!" It's the same way with Android phones, iPhones, Windows phones, all of them.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-28-10 at 10:12 AM.
    12-28-10 09:50 AM
    Yeaup, they usually explain how good the newer Curve looks. Kind of like when I go to Guitar Center I ask the sales staff to help me pick out a guitar that sounds like ____ and they usually go pick out some random one and comments on how it looks.

Thanks again Elvin for your help
    12-28-10 10:18 AM
    Yeaup, they usually explain how good the newer Curve looks. Kind of like when I go to Guitar Center I ask the sales staff to help me pick out a guitar that sounds like ____ and they usually go pick out some random one and comments on how it looks.

Thanks again Elvin for your help
    No problem, glad to be able to help.
    12-28-10 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD