i've seen this topic kind of discussed but i haven't found a clear answer. so im just gonna come out and ask it.

i have an 8320. i am on rogers. i do not have a data plan, but i can use data on the device, which is very costly. i DONT want to ever use data through my provider for any reason. since i have wifi at home i want to be able to use it.. when i am connected to wifi, how can i make sure the browser is using wifi and not EDGE AT ALL? in the browser options it is set to wi-fi browser.

the reason i ask is because i have read about people saying that rogers uses edge to "support" wifi to help pages load faster without the user knowing. i called them about this and they are no help at all. they either don't know or don't want to help because its not a rogers device.

have i read wrong... is it that once im on wifi, its wifi, no chance of any data charges at all?

i understand that i can turn off my mobile network and then use wifi, but i don't want to do that because then my mobile network is off, so i cant receiver calls/messages and this is my primary mobile device.

keep in mind also that if you are on rogers and have the $15 BB email plan it is different because when you get the $15 plan there are provisions that rogers puts in place that make sure ur device cannot use regular data, only blackberry data for email/pin of course. so people with the blackberry plan are different. and yes i know about the opera workaround.. but thats besides the point. right now i dont have any data or blackberry plans on my account.

so have u guys with wifi blackberries and no data/blackberry plans seen any charges on ur bills when u use ur wifi?

if anyone has a similar situation or any experience on this issue, please share. please feel free to offer suggestions.
    Last edited by avmsam; 03-25-08 at 02:11 PM.
    03-22-08 07:29 PM
    I use my 8320 exclusively on Wifi, so I can not comment on falling over to EDGE while on the plan.

Do you have a way to verify your current data usage? If so, you can monitor the account to determine if you are using any EDGE data while connected to Wifi.
    03-23-08 02:44 PM
    I use my 8320 exclusively on Wifi, so I can not comment on falling over to EDGE while on the plan.

Do you have a way to verify your current data usage? If so, you can monitor the account to determine if you are using any EDGE data while connected to Wifi.
    how do u use wifi exclusively on ur 8320... do u mean that u turn off mobile network when u are using wifi?

im gonna call rogers and see if theres a way i can track data usage, then i can see if any data is being incurred or not.
    03-23-08 02:46 PM
    Simple, no SIM card, no carrier plan. I refuse to sign up for $10 Mb data. My typical use is 1-3 Mb a day, about $6,000 for a year.

I have no use for the phone and have a nice workaround for BB Messager using iGoogle and Gmail.

Wifi bound is not an issue for me, I have installed repeaters to cover my normal range.
    03-23-08 02:52 PM
    Another thought occured, you have mentioned EDGE service. That implies a strong carrier signal.

You might want to keep on eye on signal strength between your Wifi connections and the network.

There may be a trigger point where the network signal strength dominates and that would explain a shift.

You have a Site Survey tool option in Wifi Diagnostics. That can be compared to the network signal in Options > Status.
    03-23-08 03:07 PM
    My first bill is on its way. I'll see if there any ridiculous edge charges. I've been using wifi a lot and the browser always says wifi in the top right corner so I see no reason for data charges. I'll report back once I get the bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-08 01:00 AM
    With mine, i made one browser exclusively wifi and I have tried to use that browser without being connected to a wifi server and it won't process anything. Also what I had done was call rogers to disable my internet access to my phone.

The one thing that I'm unsure of is that if the wifi is running slow, or disconnected does the edge give the browser that extra push to get the data faster? Or is it just strictly wifi? I haven't seen any charges on my statement yet.
    04-09-08 11:33 PM
    There is a huge bandwidth available with Wifi, 48 Mbps is much faster then Rogers network. That should translate to fast page loads in the Browser.

Rogers does not support a UMA plan. Your voice alwasy goes through their network and you are subject to signal strength issues.
    04-10-08 11:45 AM
    i haven't seen any charges on my bill so i think all is good. and also, i believe i read somewhere rogers is getting uma.
    04-10-08 06:32 PM
    Yes, that rumour was posted in the CB Blog about a week ago.

I came across an interview with Mike Lazaridis, the co-CEO of RIM. The UK interviewer asked what he carried in his pocket. In addition to the usual currency and plastic, he was packing an 8320 "with Wi-Fi".

Would one of the wealthiest people on the Planet carry a hobbled Curve? Not very likely.

Far more likely, he is testing the UMA waters with a Canadian carrier. Who better then the inventor of the device to do the field testing in Europe?

If it is good enough for Mike Lazaridis, It will be just fine for me.
    04-11-08 10:16 AM
    Just a quick note on this. You can call Rogers and have data de-activated on your account just to be sure. Once you do this and sign into your Rogers account online, it will tell you that Data is turned off. Texting will still work, just no Data over Edge, only wifi. This way you can be 100% sure you don't get hit with huge fees.

Hope that helps!
    05-07-08 10:40 AM
    Yes I did do the disable data thing but then my mms did not work so I re enabled data again. So far no data charges, wifi works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-08 05:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD