Yeah. I would highly recommend that, as it could VERY WELL be the router

As for a router recommendation, I really recommend the Linksys WRT54. You can pick this up at any Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. If you take the model number I said in and they do not have it... they will probably have a Linksys model that is very similar. The one I mentioned is about $50.

If this does not help for some reason... then you could alway return the router.

I will go find a link for ya! On Amazon for 40 bucks with FREE shipping!! Also, if you do not get the one I recommended... then make sure you AVOID anything with wireless N. Wireless N is not supported on the Berries using OS 4.2.2... and there is really no advantage to have Wireless N on your Curve. Stick with Wireless G!!

Hope that can help... it is the last hope (besides returning the item on eBay)
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 06-23-08 at 09:00 PM.
    06-23-08 08:56 PM
    Scanning while driving just gives you a glimpse as you pause.

You can detect a Wifi hotspot from 100 M/yards, but it is not usable. Signel strength tells you when you are in range. -80 dBm is the limit, over that and you get the dreaded W010 error.

10 M/yards is typical usefull range.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 08:35 PM
    I just unlocked my T-mo 8320 and popped my wife's AT&T SIM card in it to verify it would work. Wireless (EDGE/GSM) networking is fine - worked just as expected.

However, when I try to connect using WiFi, I experience the same problem you describe. I get a yellow icon for connection status. My Curve says it found the network and is connected, when I look at the networks seen when scanned. Now, not entirely trusting of icons, I tried the browser to see if I could actually browse the web over the WiFi connection. Yes!

So, it does actually work even though the Manage Connections indicator for WiFi says "yellow". Because it is a T-Mo phone, it appears to be trying (and failing) to connect to the UMA service. I do get an error in the WiFi diagnostics that indicates an ISP mismatch - which makes sense with the AT&T SIM card in it. I don't know if I can turn that service off - I don't want to actually delete it.

Bottom line - it works, but tells me it shouldn't.

Tomorrow morning, I am going to be ditching T-Mo for AT&T and an iPhone, but intend to keep my Curve. I like them both, but for different purposes, and intend to juggle them as needed. I will miss the UMA feature, which has been awesome. I just hope AT&T rolls out those femtocells soon!

UPDATE: Here is the diagnostic data I saw with the AT&T SIM Card in the Curve connecting to a Netgear FVG318 Wireless Router:

First, I got a text message that said the following:
    453 Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code.

Then I ran the WiFi diagnostics (some stuff obscured):

-----
    Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: MYNET
    SSID: MYNET
    AP MAC Address: 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
    Security Type: Open
    Association: Successful
    Authentication: Successful
    Local IP Address: 192.168.1.15
    Signal Level: -47 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps
    Authentication Failure Reason:
    Network Type: 802.11b/g
    Network Channel: 11
    Pairwise Cipher: None
    Group Cipher: None
    Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP: Successful
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    DNS suffix:
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Server Domain Suffix:
    Certificate:
    Software Token:

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: Error
    Secure Device IP:
    Resolving Concentrator: N/A
    Concentrator IP:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    DNS Suffix:
    Secure Subnet Mask:
    Retry at:
    Session Lifetime:
    Re-login at:
    Failed Login Attempts: 0
    Certificate:
    Software Token:

UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful
    Connection: Error
    Error Code: W006.1
    Reg. UNC Address: punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001
    Authentication: Error
    Serving UNC Address: punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001
    Security Gateway IP: psgw.t-mobilesgws.com
    Cell Info.:
    Cell. handover to UMA failures: 0
    Cell. rove-in failures: 0
    Last edited by jcbandxi; 07-10-08 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added diagnostic information
    07-10-08 09:45 PM
    Im a newbie...so please bear with me. I have a BB 8120 with no data plan. Here in the office i can easily connect to the wi-fi. When I get back to my apartment, I scan the networks available, it can read my wifi at home - i put the WPA password...and wait for it to connect -with no avail. Just curious...how come i cant connect at home?

Here in the office and at my apartment - the wifi thingy is both Linksys.

...help...

thank you
    07-11-08 04:50 AM
    Im a newbie...so please bear with me. I have a BB 8120 with no data plan. Here in the office i can easily connect to the wi-fi. When I get back to my apartment, I scan the networks available, it can read my wifi at home - i put the WPA password...and wait for it to connect -with no avail. Just curious...how come i cant connect at home?

Here in the office and at my apartment - the wifi thingy is both Linksys.

...help...

thank you
    Please take time to read my WiFi Guide, this will help you through your problem. The link is in my signature, below Hope it can help!!

I have a feeling it has something to do with interference and you will simply need to do a site survey and change the router's channel... but check out the guide, and you will be fine!
    07-11-08 05:45 AM
    Please take time to read my WiFi Guide, this will help you through your problem. The link is in my signature, below Hope it can help!!

I have a feeling it has something to do with interference and you will simply need to do a site survey and change the router's channel... but check out the guide, and you will be fine!
    Thank you! Will check it out!
    07-12-08 03:30 AM
    @ dulcimatik : Did you ever get your WiFi connection and UMA working??

I know we spent a while walking through your issues and I wanted to follow up and see how everything went? Or what was the final result?
    07-13-08 05:08 PM
    First post here, looks like a great community.

I'm a recent BlackBerry convert and I was having trouble with the Wi-Fi on my 8320. It could see both of my networks but couldn't connect. A reset (Alt-Left Shift-Delete) fixed the problem. Kudos to bmcclure937 for the guide and tips in this thread!
    07-17-08 07:03 AM
    First post here, looks like a great community.

I'm a recent BlackBerry convert and I was having trouble with the Wi-Fi on my 8320. It could see both of my networks but couldn't connect. A reset (Alt-Left Shift-Delete) fixed the problem. Kudos to bmcclure937 for the guide and tips in this thread!
    Thanks! There is a more 'polished' version in guide format... link is in my signature! Thank you for the comliments!
    07-17-08 07:16 AM
    Actually, -40db is stronger than -70dB. dB means decibel, a ration of two numbers, so it had to be referenced to something, and that something is a milliwatt. So 0 db actually means 0dBm in this conversation which is 0dB down from 1 milliwatt. (if you were talking about a cell phone tower, 0db could be referenced to 1 watt).

The way you calculate absolute power in mW:

mW = 10^([in x dB]/10).

so

+3dBm = 2mW.
    0 dBm = 1mW (reference starting power in most applications)
    -3dBm = .5 mW.
    -30dBm = 0.001mW.
    -40dBm = 0.0001mW
    -70dBm = 0.0000001mW

What determines your connection is actually the SNR (which is the signal to noise ratio.) If your signal is -40dBm, but you have a noise source (a different router than the one you are connecting to is considered a noise source, if that power is -37dBm, which 2 times more powerful than your signal, then there is no way for you to establish a connection.

However, if your signal is -37dbm, and noise is -40dbm. You have a SNR of 3dB which also means your signal is two times stronger than your noise. You can use your SNR to determine your maximum bandwidth using Shannon's theorem, but that's a another topic for another forum....

Hopefully that helps.

The OS upgrade will not necessarily fix the issue. And if you are thinking about getting a refund on eBay sooner or later, then I would not mess with the device software. You can always install the default TMo OS 4.2.2, but still.

It is promising that you can recongnize networks. The signal of -40db is pretty weak... I think you need at least -70db or something... I am not sure really. So don't even take that with a grain of salt.

I really do not know what to tell you at this point main. I am basically out of ideas. The best bet would be to use a PC, install Desktop Manager... available from RIM (latest version is 4.5).

You uses this app to manage your Berry...

You can load apps, remove apps, backup, restore, sync and upgrade your device OS with Desktop Manager. What you would do, is backup your Curve using Desktop Manager. Then you would wipe and reset your Curve (from the device you can do this... and I can walk you thru it). From there... we would restore your device with Desktop Manager. And we could see if that fixed anything.

If you wanted... we could get you running with OS 4.5.44... but that would be EVEN MORE of a headache to get all of that up and running adn then to worry about your WiFi. I am lost now... no idea.

I thought for sure at least one of those methods I told you would get your berry working for ya
    08-11-08 12:59 PM
    Hey there, first time poster, just wanted to say something for anyone else that might have this problem, google it up, and see this thread in the google results. I have the Curve 8520, and recently my wifi said it couldnt connect and to contact my service provider. I knew it wasnt a problem with the service as my laptop and ps3 were working fine with the wifi so I googled it up and came to this thread. In it, bmcclure937 posted steps to fix it, and as soon as my curve got done resetting, the wifi was working fine. I added my wifi connection again and it was working just as well as the first time I opened it up. Kudos to bmcclure937, your helpfulness alone convinced me to join the forums haha. Here's to anyone else that finds this thread and see's how to fix their problem.

2) Go into Menu / Manage Connections / Mobile Network Options

Data Services : On
    Connection Preference : WiFi Preferred (or only WiFi for testing purposes...)

Then go Menu / Manage Connections / WiFi Options

Go to all of the saved WiFi profiles and delete them all (I think a couple are defaults included on the phone for use with the official TMo router... so they cannot be removed. But get rid of all that you can)

Reset your Curve (battery pull or Alt - RShift - Del)

Go through the Set Up WiFi... Scan for Networks... and give it a fresh attempt...
    12-21-09 11:48 AM
    I also had the same problem regarding the wifi of my Bb8320 the color is also yellow with a negative sign.. I tried to pull the batter off or Alt-Rshift-Del.. still not working for me..Please help..
    05-08-10 02:48 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD