Hi All,

I have a dilema on my hands. I have a Curve 8310 on AT&T network (no data plan) running OS 4.2 on the device. This device has a broken USB port and was part of a BES network at one time. This means it has a IT policy associated which I cannot remove without hooking it to a PC which I cannot do with a broken USB port.

So knowing that I am pretty much scr3wed, my question is, can I upgrade the OS using a microSD card or by sending the files over bluetooth?

Thanks in advance to all you BB Gurus out there...
    05-07-10 10:45 PM
    No, you cannot. Without connectivity, especially, with the old OS, you'll get nothing upgradeable without a working port. For the cost to have a port repaired, you can get a fairly decent device, probably without many of the associated headaches, and carry on that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-10 11:16 PM
    I thought that maybe you could get data thru the docking station, but I just dug my 8310 out of the drawer and hooked the dock up to a USB cable and all I got was power. Sorry to hear about your problems. When you say the port is "broken", what exactly do you mean? is it possible that you could take something small and sharp and gently tweak the contact pads on the device/cable or is it physically in two pieces? Good luck.....
    05-08-10 10:11 AM
    Yeah I have had the charger port broken for a long time and I researched a bit and found that the dock might be the answer but all it does is charge. The black part that holds the contact points in place is broken from one side and the contact points are no longer in sync and so when I plug it in the charge comes on for a second and then goes away.

Here is the kicker! I got another BB (8900) from a friend and placed my GSM card in the new phone, that was done late last night and first thing this morning I got a text from AT&T that they have added the data plan as a "courtesy" since they noticed that I was using a smartphone. What a crock of s**t

I don't understand how the Govt. lets these companies force $20-30 data plans down the subscribers throats???? Isn't this basically a monopoly forcing everyone to go to a data plan?????

Sorry for the rant but I have been very pissed all day long about this crap from AT&T mainly because I am not even under contract with them anymore ... So I guess I should move to boost mobile or something
    05-08-10 11:23 PM

Here is the kicker! I got another BB (8900) from a friend and placed my GSM card in the new phone, that was done late last night and first thing this morning I got a text from AT&T that they have added the data plan as a "courtesy" since they noticed that I was using a smartphone. What a crock of s**t
    I found out quite by accident that if you were on AT&T with a smartphone before Nov 09, when the mandated data plan policy went in to effect, they will grandfather you without the data requirement. I specifically asked if that was just for the original device and they told me it was for the account regardless of which device you upgrade to. Call them and insist on it.

I found out because in looking at my detailed data usage I saw ~50kb of data being sent every night around 2:35am that I knew damned well I wasn't sending. I called to find out what this data was and where it was going. They couldn't answer that, but they offered to kill the data plan if I wanted so nothing could go out. I asked how that was possible sense a data plan was now mandatory and the CSR told me about the grandfathering.
    Hope this helps....
    05-09-10 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD