I am new to the blackberry world and have the 8703. I am still within my 30 day verizon trial and want to know how uswer friendly the 8130 is. I find the 8703 very user friendly but I am missing my voice dialing. i am not the best typist and am just getting use to this keyboard. I am coming to the experts for advice!!

Thanks
    11-17-07 08:07 PM
    I don't have an 8130, but have had a couple of non-querty keyboard devices and I really liked them. Once I got used to how the SureType works, I could type very fast - faster than on a full querty keyboard. The trick is to not look at the screen while you're typing - only look after you're done typing an entire word or phrase.

I switched to the Sprint 8830 (from a Sprint 7130e) and it actually too me longer to get used to the full keyboard than it did to get used to the smaller keyboard!

If I had the choice right now, I would go with the 8130.... which I will as soon as Sprint's comes out on Friday :-)
    11-18-07 02:48 PM
    I went to verizon to feel for the phone today. Its less expensive online so I think will take your advice. Its a great phone. The only concern that I have is the trackcall. It feels a little flimsy compared to my track wheel. Have you actually held the phone and tried the trackball??? I compared it to the one on the 8830 and it felt a little flimsy.
    11-18-07 07:35 PM
    I just purchased mine on-line for only $99. It was $299 less my $100 new every two and they were offering a $100 "advance device" credit (or something like that) which made it $99. If you are not eligible for the new every two it would still make it $199; not bad for a BB. Good Luck!
    11-20-07 08:44 PM
    how do you like your 8130? What phone are you coming from? I am 98% there but I can't change it if I don't like it. I have the 8703 and was told it had gps and voice dialing and of course the salesman lied. I have to keep the next phone and I want to be sure. Its the feel of the trackball instead of the trackwheel I am afraid of. It feels a bit cheezy !
    How are you adjusting to your new phone??

Thanks
    11-20-07 11:10 PM
    My 8130 is arriving today, according to FEDEX, so I won't be able to give you a review yet. I have a Razr now and have used Moto's (815E, 2 Razrs) because they have always given me better reception. I have heard so much about BB's and decided to try one, especially at this price. My friend has the 8830 World Edition and loves it...he went from the Moto Q (which he said was a piece of junk). Remember, the phone has a lot more capabilities then we can use because of the Verizon Network. For instance, the phone does have GPS, but with Verizon we have to use THEIR version of GPS...the phone can download music and ringtones via BT, but not on the Verizon network, we have to go through their "Get It Now" program so they can make even more money. It's the price (literally) we have to pay to be with Verizon...but for me and my area (Pittsburgh, PA) it still offers the best reception and coverage. A couple friends and where I work have AT&T and we have dropped calls ALL THE TIME, something that doesn't happen with Verizon. I heard once you get use to the trackball, you love it...I'll let you know tomorrow! Good Luck.
    11-21-07 06:10 AM
    Thanks Cory. I think I am going to go ahead and order it as well. I went from the razr to the BB 8703. I am missing the voice dialing and really want the ability to do navigation. The trackball on the 8130 doesn't seem as sturdy as the 8830 however. Let me know !

Joanne
    11-21-07 08:26 AM
    Although I haven't tried the 8830 I can assure from my experience with my 8130 that the trackball is anything but flimsy. In fact, I've gotten so accustomed to it (especially being able to go side to side and up and down) that I can't imagine using just the track wheel. Everyone who has tried my 8130 has loved the trackball.
    11-21-07 09:08 AM
    Mine just arrived (nice and small, I hope my fingers "work" on the keys) and I would have to agree...I think I am going to come to love the trackball. Still at work so I can't "play" yet...I'll set it up tonight and let you know what I think.
    11-21-07 02:35 PM
    Joanne - I have had some time to play with the 8130 and I agree the trackball is TERRIFIC. It's alot like my T60 Laptop; I never thought I would use the trackpointer, but now I can't imagine using a regular mouse pad. The ease that you can go left, right, up, and down is great. I think you will really like it. The sound is crystal clear on my end, although one person said I sounded a bit muffled. My fingers are fat and I can still manuever the key layout OK...my biggest challenge will be learning where the keys are as I am so used to texting on a normal keypad. Let me know how you like yours.
    11-21-07 09:55 PM
    I can't decide between the 8130 and the 8830. I've had treo for years and am making the change-I also have a mac computer. Any problem syncing with a mac? is the screen easier to see on th 8830. I wear reading glasses but don't always want to keep them on. Would love your input. Can't wait to get rid of my treo 700P
    11-21-07 10:10 PM
    Lori...my friend has a 8830 and he loves it. For me it is a little large as I usually keep mine in my shirt pocket. Also, I would not be traveling to Europe so I do not need or want to pay extra for the "World Edition". Not that I use the camera that much, but I really like having one for two reasons...sometimes I would like to send a picture to someone real quick and I also enjoy the picture popping up on my caller id. So for me trading the capability to use it all over the world vs a camera was a no brainer. I use XP so I can't help you on the MAC question. Please note that Verizon is giving a $100 Advance Device credit as well as a $50 credit until 11/26.
    11-21-07 10:47 PM
    Cory,

I'm glad to hear that you like your 8130. I have recently found a way to try the 8130 and if I don't like it , I can then get the 8830. I talked to a great guy at verizon in vip and he told me what to return 8703 that I got in the store and then everything starts clean if I order it online. I think I will enjoy the pearl and if not, at least I can change it.How are doing with the sure type??

Thanks so much for your imput !

Joanne
    11-22-07 09:54 AM
    SureType does take some getting used to...I am still working on it. I am so use to MultiTap, but the 8130 gives you the option to use MultiTap so if I really decide I want to stay with it I can. I do not text very much so it may be easier for me to just stick to my old tried and true method. I am especially slow because of the key placement...I have used the normal keypad on a cell phone so I am used to "ABC, DEF, etc." I have to "think" where the letters are! But I could never see me buying anything but a BB in the future, I am sold on them.
    11-22-07 10:39 AM
    Hey Cory

How goes it with the 8130? I am going in tomorrow to return the 8703. I have to say that if anyone doesn't care about voice dial and nav, the 8703 is awesome and really user friendly. The scroll wheel on the side is is also easy to use .I will miss it but I really miss the voice dial. I am looking forward to you new thoughts as you have had the 8130 for a few more days.

Thanks!
    Joanne
    11-27-07 09:41 PM
    My 8130 is arriving today, according to FEDEX, so I won't be able to give you a review yet. I have a Razr now and have used Moto's (815E, 2 Razrs) because they have always given me better reception. I have heard so much about BB's and decided to try one, especially at this price. My friend has the 8830 World Edition and loves it...he went from the Moto Q (which he said was a piece of junk). Remember, the phone has a lot more capabilities then we can use because of the Verizon Network. For instance, the phone does have GPS, but with Verizon we have to use THEIR version of GPS...the phone can download music and ringtones via BT, but not on the Verizon network, we have to go through their "Get It Now" program so they can make even more money. It's the price (literally) we have to pay to be with Verizon...but for me and my area (Pittsburgh, PA) it still offers the best reception and coverage. A couple friends and where I work have AT&T and we have dropped calls ALL THE TIME, something that doesn't happen with Verizon. I heard once you get use to the trackball, you love it...I'll let you know tomorrow! Good Luck.
    Actually the BB's are NOT get it now capable. You have to put the music on the phone yourself. The 8130 comes with the media manager in the box that will allow you to transfer the music. You will need a memory card tho.
    11-27-07 10:53 PM
    Hey Joanne...Sorry it took me so long to get back, I had nasal surgery yesterday and just wasn't up to even checking my BB! I know I made the right decision getting the 8130. My buddy stopped over with his 8830 WE the other day and I really compared them side-by-side...I just like the form factor of the 8130 better. I like the smaller size (easier to hold and easier to fit in my shirt pocket), I like the 8130 keyboard better (the keys are slightly larger), I like being able to take pictures of my contacts so they come up on the screen during a call and for those rare moments you need to capture a shot of those 9 turkeys crossing the road! The camera is nice...2 megapix & a real flash! I also use voice dial with my BT headset all of the time, so I wouldn't want to give up that feature as you had to do with the 8703. Please let me (us) know what you decide and how you like it.
    Last edited by corymcnutt; 11-28-07 at 08:08 AM.
    11-28-07 07:59 AM
    Actually the BB's are NOT get it now capable. You have to put the music on the phone yourself. The 8130 comes with the media manager in the box that will allow you to transfer the music. You will need a memory card tho.
    YES...I just found that out after getting my BB. That's a real blessing not having to use Get It Now and paying a monthly few for the ringtones. I was able to dl quite a few free ringtones and the iBlack Berry theme. Sweet!

I can't get that Media manager to work...it boots up, but when I try and open that Roxio transfer program I get an error message that it must close and then it sends an error message. I was able to transfer music by simply plugging in the 8130 to my computer and using the Media Player.
    11-28-07 08:07 AM
    from your berry go here to get ringtones, free is the best.

Index of /mobile also it takes a few days to get used to suretype but now i won't go with anything other than a blackberry!
    11-28-07 08:39 AM
    I also use voice dial with my BT headset all of the time, so I wouldn't want to give up that feature as you had to do with the 8703.
    Can you not voice dial with the 8830?
    11-28-07 08:50 AM
    from your berry go here to get ringtones, free is the best.

Index of /mobile also it takes a few days to get used to suretype but now i won't go with anything other than a blackberry!
    Thanks! That's a great site and a HUGE selection on tunes.
    11-28-07 09:04 AM
    Can you not voice dial with the 8830?
    Yes...with the 8830 you can but not the 8703 that Joanne was talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
    11-28-07 09:06 AM
    Im still hung up on whether I should get the 8830, I have the 8130 atm but I am within my 30 days for verizon. Just to clarify the only differences are Camera/No Camera, Size, GSM/No GSM, QWERTY/SureType.
    11-28-07 09:18 AM
    Im still hung up on whether I should get the 8830, I have the 8130 atm but I am within my 30 days for verizon. Just to clarify the only differences are Camera/No Camera, Size, GSM/No GSM, QWERTY/SureType.
    Those are the only differences that I am aware of...do you not like the 8130? Why are you having trouble deciding? Just curious.
    11-28-07 09:33 AM
    The biggest issue I have is SureType, it makes writing emails and web browsing a bit more difficult I feel like. It could be that I'm just not used to it yet. But I don't think that I am willing to give up the size of the Pearl. I like to keep my BB in my pocket and the bigger 8830 would be a pain I feel like.

Also I have played with my friends 8830 and the trackball seems to be MUCH smoother on the 8830 than most of the 8130s Ive played with. I dont know if the trackball design is different or what but the feel of the trackball is certainly different.
    Last edited by cotten; 11-28-07 at 10:18 AM.
    11-28-07 10:15 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD