Hi
    My 8120 has stopped using its wifi when i try to browse the net. I turn off mobile and turn on wifi and that has always forced the browser to use my wifi connection. now it just tells me that the radio on the device is turned off...but it doesnt fall over to its wifi connection...

any ideas?
    02-23-08 03:58 AM
    Hi
    My 8120 has stopped using its wifi when i try to browse the net. I turn off mobile and turn on wifi and that has always forced the browser to use my wifi connection. now it just tells me that the radio on the device is turned off...but it doesnt fall over to its wifi connection...

any ideas?
    Perhaps a silly question, but, are you sure you are paying for a data plan with your carrier?
    02-24-08 03:17 AM
    sorry for not getting back, yes i have a PAYG data plan with o2 it was wifi that was the problem, still it seems to have come back to life so all is good again
    03-04-08 06:20 AM
    There has been some behind the scenes issues between RIM & O2 for those on the BIS server.

The wifi icon never went to the full black/white but remained grayed out. You could use wifi with the browser, but other applications (like email) wouldn't work.

These seem to have been resolved, and you need to resend your service books before the wifi is fully working. Thanks to Tailor for having the patience to keep in touch with them both to get this fixed.

For me, I also had to upgrade the OS to 4.3.105 and resend the service books but now it's all working as it should. If you turn off mobile network you can send emails via wifi as well as use the browser.
    03-10-08 11:25 AM
    I just subscribed to wifi plan and i still cannot connect it is greyed out. I really am new to this and just want to connect to wifi. what do i do please anyone. the orange shop is useless and i am now stuck with a plan i cannot use!

pearl 8120

hellppp!! anyone
    03-13-08 04:24 PM
    You don't have to subscribe to Wi-Fi to use Wi-Fi from your own Wi-Fi hotspot, only if you want to be able to use Wi-Fi at any hotspot (where you have to pay).

Patrick
    03-14-08 03:03 AM
    I have two pearl 8120's. Wifi seems to work on both but on one, the Wifi logo is always greyed out.
    03-30-08 04:56 PM
    I have: an (AT&T) 8120, no data plan (pay per KB).

It looks like my software is 4.3.0.91 (platform 2.6.0.52), wlan version 2.2.0.35.

Wifi is associated. (at the top of the screen, it says "At&T - MySSId". I checked the status. I have a IP address and it says at the top of the screen it's connected. I have set up a lot of wifi connections on both windows and linux so I'm pretty comfortable with this process.

When I try any webpage from the hotspot browser, I get an error message
    "Unable to find the requested server."

I also tried switching to an unlocked wifi server I can see from our house and I get the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for any help and advice.
    04-05-08 09:11 PM
    I just got off the phone with my carrier was told that the "Data Services" option under "Mobile Network Options" must be turned on for the WiFi to work, even though this doesn't make sense because the option is in the wrong place. They removed my data option from my plan and I turned the Data Services option to ON and it worked, so I know I wasn't using the Mobile Network for data. They turned the data option (pay-per-use) on after the test just incase I ever need it.

What I don't like is that it will use the carrier's data network when the WiFI is not available. I want more control of the data usage and I was hoping, since the phone had WiFI, that it would provide an alternative to the carreir's network, but it seems like there is an opportunity to be trickle-charged to death.
    04-09-08 01:00 PM
    You need to go into "Browser" and change the default browser for WIFI.. it's because the browser by default is set to use the mobile network..
    04-09-08 06:40 PM
    The browser configuartion is set to "Hotspot Browser." I did notice that it goes back to Media Net whenever you disable WiFi.
    04-09-08 10:22 PM
    One more thing... The default browser has always been "Hotspot Browser" since I changed it the first time under "General Properties." But it may toggle to use Media Net under "Browser Configuration" whenever it feels like it.

I am disappointed (understatement) that it doesn't have on/off option so it only uses WiFi or the Mobile Network. Not the preferred WiFI and then switch to the Mobile Network at any time.
    04-09-08 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD