Okay, I've been cruising these boards in one form or another for nearly a year now and I've learned a couple of things that I think most, if not all of us, would benefit from having posted in writing. I'm gonna go ahead and called them "Rules of Crackberry". For lack of a better explanation, they are exactly what they sound like. Before you start posting some random rumor, or asking some question, or starting some discussion or topic, I suggest you read these rules and rethink what you are gonna say or do. It's not that we don't want to hear it, or answer your question, it's just that there's a fairly good chance that it's either been said before, been asked before, or been posted before. Nevertheless, here they are....

Rule #1: Do not believe the CSRs at whatever store you are in or over the phone. Cellphone CSRs are the used car salesmen of the 21st century. The training they undergo is sales training, not "how can I be the most helpful to customers who don't intend to spend a dime today" training. Most of them are good people of course, but they aren't there to make you happy. For most intents and purposes, assume everything they say is a fabrication and get your insider information elsewhere. Harsh? Yes. More reliable? Yes.

Rule #2: No, you can't use your GSM ATT/Tmo Bold on a CDMA Verizon/Sprint network. Generally speaking, you wouldn't be asking if you could, if you had the technical knowledge and skill to do it in the first place (aka if you have to ask, you can't do it). This holds true for just about any phone. If you live by the understanding that GSM and CDMA are not compatible, you won't be failed (there are exceptions...I know, but this is a general rule. If you know the exceptions, the rule isn't intended for you)

Rule #3: You need a data plan. I have no idea why you would want a Blackberry without a data plan. It's like getting a car, but never putting gas in it. Occasionally some bug happens or something gets messed up and some lucky SOB gets data service while not paying for it, but you better bet as soon as his or her provider finds out, he/she is gonna be getting billed for it (and if they are feeling particularly badass, they'll charge for the unpaid data). The rest of us have to pay for our data plans (and they generally are never over $35 a month). If price is the issue, you probably shouldn't have purchased a Blackberry in the first place.

Note: It's possible to do it through Wifi if your phone has it,
    however most carriers charge for that or require a data plan as long
    as the blackberry is activated on it.

Rule #4: There's a 50% chance whatever is wrong with your BB can be fixed with a battery pull. It's pretty much a good idea to do it once a week anyway.

Rule #5: Cite your source. If you make some wild claim about some wild phone that no one else has heard a word about, you'd better have more than just "A friend of mine said...." This isn't the Washington post. There are no ethics about turning over sources. The more you cite where you heard something (ie: link or picture or whatever), the more reliable people will find you to be and as a result, the more likely you won't get flamed by someone like yours truly.

Rule #6: Please attempt to utilize the native tongue. The number 4 denotes a numerical value somewhere between the numbers 3 and 5, not a 3 letter preposition meaning the purpose or object of. Capital letters belong at the beginning of a sentence and the first letter of proper nouns such as Blackberry or Jack Daniels. A period belongs at the end of probably 70% of sentences you will write. Much like rule #5, the more you follow this rule, the more people will respect you and listen to what you have to say. No one is asking for perfection, just effort.

Rule #7: Use the search tool. While I am sure many of us could talk at length about Blackberries, there is an extraordinarily good chance that whatever question you have has been asked and answered by a fine crackberry addict before. If you search and still can't find an answer, give Google a shot. I found my great grandfather's college graduation photo on there, so there is an equally awesome chance the answer to your question is floating around the internet already. If you can't find an answer that satisfies you, then by all means ask.

Rule #8: Type, reread, edit, post. Follow this and you will make life much easier for everyone. In fact, use rule #7 before making it to step 1 of this rule.

So there you have it, 8 simple rules for reading and using Crackberry. Follow them and you will pretty much be good to go. If anyone has any amendments, please say so and we can see if they work
    Last edited by Norsk; 01-25-09 at 06:02 AM.
    01-25-09 05:39 AM
    I like your proposal!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 06:29 AM
    I have a small issue with the search part of your rules. I have tried to search from both my bb abd pc. I can sometimes find it on my pc but on the bb I find anything but sometimes. I do most of my crack reading on my bb. But I like the rules cause I to get bored seeing the same topics over and over again. That's my two cents

01-25-09 06:51 AM
    I love rule number 6 - maybe that's just the teacher in me, but some of the abbreviations people use on here drive me nuts.
    01-25-09 06:53 AM
    Thank you! Especially for numbers 3 and 6!
    01-25-09 07:22 AM
    Love the principle!!!

Remember spell check is everyones friend....
    01-25-09 07:28 AM
    I think this should be made a sticky or taken into consideration. Good stuff.

01-25-09 07:35 AM
    I like it. Needs to be made a sticky for newbies

01-25-09 07:41 AM
    While I completely disagree with #3 and especially #4 here
    are my amendments:

9) No, it's really you. The majority of OS upgrade problems have
    nothing to do with the OS. Track back to what you did or did
    not do and you will most likely find where it went off the rails.

10) This is a forum not a text message. You are not limited to
    140 or 160 characters. The fastest way to get ignored is typing
    something like this: wud n e 1 no wat da proggy to sync 2
    iz. l8r.

11) Yes, you feel your issue is world turning, and yes, you would
    like an answer right now, but really, bumping your thread after
    a total of 10 minutes is just ridiculous.

12) Going along with #11, you will not get an answer any faster
    by posting your thread in multiple forums. What you will usually
    get are reminders not to do so. See, it didn't help.

13) Paragraphs are your friend. I can't speak for anyone else,
    but I can say with absolutely certainty that the fastest way to
    get me to ignore a post is if you write one "ginormously" long
    run on sentence.

14) Yeah we know, you love your phone. It is not however
    necessary to create a thread to tell the entire community. You'd
    be surprised at how few of us actually (and honestly) care.

15) It's been answered already. If you answer a question only
    to realize an equally correct answer came in just before yours,
    do the sensible thing and delete your post. Also, if you see the
    answer has been given there is no need to chime in with "I agree",
    or a duplicate answer.

16) A little gratitude. If you post a question or problem and
    someone answers it or helps you fix your issue, coming back
    to your thread to say THANK YOU would not only be nice, but
    the decent thing to do.

17) Avoiding Necroposting. Necroposting is digging up a long
    dead thread and making a comment to it. The thread died for
    a reason. Let it rest in peace.

18) Thread titles: This is a pet peeve of mine. Hellllllppppppp!!!!!!
    is not a good thread title and it really mucks up the search function.
    So instead of Hellllllppppppp!!!!!! how about, "Browser icon is missing",
    or "I can't view attachments", or "my text messages disappeared", or.......
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-25-09 at 09:52 AM.
    01-25-09 07:49 AM
    Yeah, I think this is pretty much useless. You spent your time on something that nobody is really going to pay attention to. But, Thanks for spending your time none-the-less.
    You're always going to have people who are new to the CB world, who are going to want to explore. (knowingly or unknowingly) This site needs to be more open and not so harsh on people. It's the "interwebz" people. Calm down.
    01-25-09 07:51 AM
    I Agree With Brianw2007....its Just A Forum People Relax......
    01-25-09 08:06 AM
    Nicely done. Seems more like a common sense initiative as opposed to a set of rules though. I kept saying to myself "that's common sense" after I read each of tha 8 items.

01-25-09 08:06 AM
    Nicely done. Seems more like a common sense initiative as opposed to a set of rules though. I kept saying to myself "that's common sense" after I read each of tha 8 items.

Sadly, common sense isn't very common anymore :/
    01-25-09 08:08 AM
    I'd add one more.

Read the whole thread before replying. I can't stand it when the question has been answered by post #3, but then 4 more people post the identical answer. Unless you have something new to add, don't.

EDIT: Ahhhh!!! Just fell victim to my own rule. (see post #9). Dammit.
    01-25-09 08:11 AM
    I love rule number 6 - maybe that's just the teacher in me, but some of the abbreviations people use on here drive me nuts.
    Amen! It drives me nuts too. Even in a text message, I always try to use proper grammar, correct spelling, and limit my abbreviations to those I feel are 'accepted' usage. I do bend some rules, e.g., I'll use a single hyphen when I should use a dash, and (sorry to amazinglygraceless's #13) don't usually add two line feeds to make a new paragraph, but for reasons. First, I think makes it easier to read on a device with a screen smaller than my palm and to type on a keyboard that I can nearly cover with one thumb. And second, I think it's pragmatic. If we can follow 90% of the 'rules' then maybe 90% of us will follow them. BTW though, I do not bend any rules in e-mail or more legitimate writing, unless I'm trying to be kinda [sic] funny with the vernacular.
    01-25-09 09:44 AM
    LOL I totally agree with this!
    01-25-09 09:45 AM
    Amen ! And I agree with AG on his points especially the thread titles. Heeeeeelllllllpppppp ! Lol
    01-25-09 10:11 AM
    I like the idea of the rules of crackberry...and A G is right on with those amendments.
    01-25-09 10:18 AM
    #17 is so funny!
    01-25-09 10:22 AM
    #17 is awesome, ain't that the truth...
    01-25-09 10:38 AM
    I totally agree with AG's last rule. If people would put forth the
    effort to at least properly title their thread, then maybe someone
    who actually uses the search function might actually find their
    answer to what they're looking for.

And yes, a freaken THANK YOU here and there would be pretty
    nice as well. I've had questions answered on here and I feel it's
    more than proper to at least thank the person.

01-25-09 10:51 AM
    While this was humorous and true, this is afterall a message board. If these things bother you this much you have two options: ignore the violators, or don't come to this board anymore. A list of 10 "rules" (I thought there were already rules in place) is doable but to go up to a list of 18 like someone suggested is plain ridiculous, what will happen is no one will even bother!!!!

No, I did not post, reread, spell check, search etc this post!
    01-25-09 11:03 AM
    Good concept. How many are we going for though we should just write out the bb Constitution!!
    01-25-09 11:07 AM
    I agree with 14 and 18 they are the biggest pet peeves of mine. As for thank yous, I'm not so worried about them. Honestly I almost never go back to most threads I post in.

01-25-09 12:01 PM
    While I completely disagree with #3 and especially #4 here
    are my amendments:

9) No, it's really you. The majority of OS upgrade problems have
    nothing to do with the OS. Track back to what you did or did
    not do and you will most likely find where it went off the rails.

10) This is a forum not a text message. You are not limited to
    140 or 160 characters. The fastest way to get ignored is typing
    something like this: wud n e 1 no wat da proggy to sync 2
    iz. l8r.

11) Yes, you feel your issue is world turning, and yes, you would
    like an answer right now, but really, bumping your thread after
    a total of 10 minutes is just ridiculous.

12) Going along with #11, you will not get an answer any faster
    by posting your thread in multiple forums. What you will usually
    get are reminders not to do so. See, it didn't help.

13) Paragraphs are your friend. I can't speak for anyone else,
    but I can say with absolutely certainty that the fastest way to
    get me to ignore a post is if you write one "ginormously" long
    run on sentence.

14) Yeah we know, you love your phone. It is not however
    necessary to create a thread to tell the entire community. You'd
    be surprised at how few of us actually (and honestly) care.

15) It's been answered already. If you answer a question only
    to realize an equally correct answer came in just before yours,
    do the sensible thing and delete your post. Also, if you see the
    answer has been given there is no need to chime in with "I agree",
    or a duplicate answer.

16) A little gratitude. If you post a question or problem and
    someone answers it or helps you fix your issue, coming back
    to your thread to say THANK YOU would not only be nice, but
    the decent thing to do.

17) Avoiding Necroposting. Necroposting is digging up a long
    dead thread and making a comment to it. The thread died for
    a reason. Let it rest in peace.

18) Thread titles: This is a pet peeve of mine. Hellllllppppppp!!!!!!
    is not a good thread title and it really mucks up the search function.
    So instead of Hellllllppppppp!!!!!! how about, "Browser icon is missing",
    or "I can't view attachments", or "my text messages disappeared", or.......
    AG I like #15. Perhaps if it were possible not to get credit for an agreement post the amount of these " Ed McMahon" posts would decrease. However this would pose quite a logistical nightmare for the "Mods" and I'm sure this shall never come. Cest la guere

01-27-09 07:50 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD