awesome!!! just hope those are actually legit
    02-14-12 06:25 PM
    At least RIM's trying.
    Yes! They're doing *something and that's cool. Same with ads. I don't like them, but at least I'm seeing them on TV now!
    02-14-12 06:25 PM
    My app (android and niche-specific, will serve almost none of you) is still under review and I have not heard of a free PB yet.

They will most likely review, approve and only then contact people about the free getty.
    Well you my friend just participated in what would be called diversification. In case anyone hasn't been paying attention....RIM is very aware of users unique needs and therefore is developing a platform that has a much broader developer reach then any other mobile platform on the planet....

If anyone hasn't been following the QNX development platform for BB10....With the diversified SDK approach, language support, Android support, FULLY OPEN Development commitment ,etc....RIM is targeting a dev base of well over 1 million+,if not more.....As well QNX on PB should not be compared to iOS, Android, or WP7......QNX on PB is relative to Windows 7, OSX, Ubuntu etc...The only difference is that QNX was designed to operate in an embedded environment such as a tablet or Superphone. We'll in time see desktop caliber programs running on PB...

You're contribution submitting an app that no one will use, however someone will surely find to be a very valued asset is all a part of RIM providing the most diverse platform on the market....QNX is just getting started

Android is considered the most diverse currently.....RIM can operate Android in its entirety if it so chooses on top of QNX, plus provide broad development SDK's targeting a broad reach.

Sorry for the long post.....Just showing how a dev like your self and RIM's platform strategy according to my research and observations are going to allow for a very powerful platform offering diversity like we haven't seen...I'm just really enjoying watching it unfold
    02-14-12 06:44 PM
    At least RIM's trying.
    Not just trying......The veracity at which they are doing so is rather impressive...The willingness to adapt and overcome as well as value consumer/ developer opinion and do something is really impressive.....We're dealing with a new RIM. Some people are taking longer to take notice to that , then others.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-14-12 at 06:59 PM.
    02-14-12 06:56 PM
    I've been spending time investigating Android Dev comments around the web in regards to their opinions after experiencing the BB development community.....A really uplifting and prudent trend I am finding, is that many Android devs are really impressed at the PB's development tools.....This is a very positive sign...Many are even commenting that they would like to build native apps.

I like what I see so far as overwhelming positive support and interest in the BB platform. There will always be those who have skepticism and are negative....But the interest and positivity is just really impressive.....RIM is really on to something special here.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-14-12 at 07:11 PM.
    02-14-12 07:08 PM
    I had a weird application. I applied, but the accepted my vendor application the day after they asked me for my ID ...odd. I won't complain! They are looking at my app now. I hope that they accept it! (My PayPal is verified, so they prob took the driver's license # from there).
    02-14-12 07:23 PM
    Sounds like there were 6600 "closet playbook lovers", who're suddenly coming out of the woodwork to collect a freebie from RIM. LoL!!!!

Ummm, where were ya'll before?

Why does a person need a drivers license to build and submit an app? I have a drivers license, but I struggle to see the affect that has on an ability to write code.
    02-14-12 08:57 PM
    I see a lot of negativism in this thread. Giving away a PlayBook is not such a bad idea if it brings developers to this platform. Let's face it folks, as nice as you are and as kind as you have been to me, one still can't make a living by selling apps in App World - there just aren't enough PB owners yet.

RIM is right to play percentages with offers like this - more than a few of the 6600 new developers will have talents that might impress you and, more importantly, will give new customers something to crow about. If these are brand-new developers with limited experience writing PlayBook apps, their first apps may not be much to behold but there is much room for improvement. My own app was not all that great at launch a year ago, but I would like to think that it is a bit better now.

Anyway, all I ask is that you be a little bit more circumspect and try to understand what RIM is trying to accomplish here. Yes there will be a number of new devs who are gaming the system but you should try to be supportive of the bright lights who are arriving on the scene (and wouldn't have considered submitting an app without the offer).
    Thanks and well said, Its also about future lines of communication. Once RIM starts to realise who can do what then its advantage RIM.
    02-14-12 09:02 PM
    You're probably right but even a low percentage like 1% equals 66 good apps and that's a lot more than I need/use today.
    If they have attracted 6600 in 11 days then hopefully there will be many, many more to follow.

...glass half full
    That's a very good point
    heck out of the 500k+ apps Apple offers I only have 12 currently installed
    If out of those 6600+ apps I can find at least 3 superb apps and 4-6 good ones
    I will be more than happy.
    02-14-12 09:05 PM
    Sounds like there were 6600 "closet playbook lovers", who're suddenly coming out of the woodwork to collect a freebie from RIM. LoL!!!!

Why does a person need a drivers license to build and submit an app? I have a drivers license, but I struggle to see the affect that has on an ability to write code.
    It's just a means of ensuring sincerity and a preventive measures in screening for malicious software etc...A person who conducts themselves professionally, doesn't mind undergoing a professional process. Then there's piracy prevention etc....
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-14-12 at 09:17 PM.
    02-14-12 09:14 PM

They e-mailed me and asked for a government or some other ID and a signed form, but before I could send anything, they sent me a vendor approved e-mail, and since then, my paypal has been accepted and approved.
    02-14-12 10:33 PM
    It's awesome that developers and consumers are finally seeing how solid and awesome BB's new QNX OS is. It really does stand out and it only gets better from here. Been with them for almost 4 years and I am not leaving BB anytime soon. QNX and my PlayBook excite me!
    02-15-12 12:22 AM
    I'm looking forward to seeing just what the new developers have come up with, that's for sure. Especially if developers really are liking the coding environment for QNX.

I caution on saying that QNX can't be compared to iOS, because if you go back to the very first iPhone, I recall it was stated that the OS being used was in fact OSX but designed to work in a phone environment. That said, this puts QNX right up there with iOS and all the desktop platforms, and I'm all that much more excited to see just how amazing the apps will get for the Playbook (and BB10 by extension).
    02-15-12 02:21 AM
    "There have been over 1,500 app submissions as of last Friday and over 6,600 new developers registered in the BlackBerry App World� storefront"

We are Extending the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Offer

Apparently developer is not equal to an app...
    02-15-12 09:57 AM
    "There have been over 1,500 app submissions as of last Friday and over 6,600 new developers registered in the BlackBerry App World� storefront"

We are Extending the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Offer

Apparently developer is not equal to an app...
    Yet. But I'm pretty sure if a dev registers. They're going to have an app.

Lets say 1500 app submissions were part of the 6600 devs. We'd stil 5100 dev's who are still working on apps and still have to submit.
    02-15-12 01:17 PM
    I can't wait to see the size of appworld once the apps are approved!

Tons is a DAMN good thing. I think the apps will be balanced from fun to games to multimedia to games and entertainment and many more.
    02-16-12 03:25 AM
    I gave it a go and submitted my app a few days ago. It was mostly a smooth experience to get up and running with the dev tools available, even using the code signing keys! The only downer is that the PB simulator doesn't simulate multitouch gestures.
    02-16-12 06:13 AM
    I gave it a go and submitted my app a few days ago. It was mostly a smooth experience to get up and running with the dev tools available, even using the code signing keys! The only downer is that the PB simulator doesn't simulate multitouch gestures.
    Nothing to worry about. You'll soon have a PB of your own to fine tune the gestures in the app.
    02-16-12 06:51 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD