Really? I am not doubting the 'success' of the XBox, but you do realize they lost money for way too long on the device right?
    Microsoft's cash cow is Enterprise which foots the bill for a lot of these consumer products. As a software company Microsoft (most of the time) does it right, their hardware divisions seem to struggle, Zune, Surface, even the XBox. .
    You do not have to make money from day 1. Sometimes, building marketshare is key. Microsoft moved from an unknown, fringe player with the original Xbox to running neck and neck with the former undisputed champion, Sony.

Driving for a quick buck upfront instead of marketshare is why BlackBerry 10 is become an utter failure. Pricing of the Z10 and Q5 was sheer lunacy.
    MarsupilamiX, Etios and Bobert_123 like this.
    09-03-13 11:32 AM
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23940171 BBC news just ran this article on TV. Analyst gives BBRY six months....
    Aaaah the old dead in 6 months, dying DOA deal, 6 months from now should have my second Q10 in my hand as I pass down my old one, gotta have a spanking clean Q10 ya know!
    potatoguy, wincyUt and moody like this.
    09-03-13 11:49 AM
    6. Months.... BlackBerry would have to blow through 3 billion in cash, take out a significant loan, blow through that, then declare bankruptcy. The one thing that I have to say about Thor is that he is extremely fiscally responsible. And that wouldn't happen.

I an expecting positive cash flow for the next couple of quarters and improving eps as the headcount and other expenses realign with their revenue expectation. BlackBerry will survive. They have a solid product, excellent os, the best enterprise integration, but really sh*tty marketing. the negative news is killing people's perception of reality. If you are an average BlackBerry user who doesn't read the blogs, not familiar with bb's financial but only reads the negative news, they would think that they were already bankrupt. They have to restart their image, just like GM did after their bailouts and change how people think about them. Give the people confidence that they will be around and will thrive. Generate Some sustained excitement. Perception will eventually lead to reality.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    09-03-13 11:59 AM
    I personnally dont believe in timelines ... what I think will happen is BBRY will become marginalized and irrelevant in the mobile space. I cannot see them doing anything (on their own) that will change the fact that they will never be a major force in the Mobile world again. The only question is ... can they generate enough revenue and profit to keep the lights on for a longer period of time.
    09-03-13 12:12 PM
    You do not have to make money from day 1. Sometimes, building marketshare is key. Microsoft moved from an unknown, fringe player with the original Xbox to running neck and neck with the former undisputed champion, Sony.

Driving for a quick buck upfront instead of marketshare is why BlackBerry 10 is become an utter failure. Pricing of the Z10 and Q5 was sheer lunacy.
    Sure I get that, but the XBox was plagued with hardware problems. Deep pockets is what save it.
    09-03-13 12:13 PM
    I personnally dont believe in timelines ... what I think will happen is BBRY will become marginalized and irrelevant in the mobile space. I cannot see them doing anything (on their own) that will change the fact that they will never be a major force in the Mobile world again. The only question is ... can they generate enough revenue and profit to keep the lights on for a longer period of time.
    Yup, major partnerships are key, otherwise BB just doesnt matter.
    09-03-13 12:14 PM
    6. Months.... BlackBerry would have to blow through 3 billion in cash, take out a significant loan, blow through that, then declare bankruptcy. The one thing that I have to say about Thor is that he is extremely fiscally responsible. And that wouldn't happen.
    Bankruptcy isn't, by far, the only way a company can "go away." BB is a publicly-owned company, and if the (major) shareholders no longer believe that BB has a future, they'll break it up and sell it off and split up the remaining money. They certainly won't let BB spend down to zero, much less go into debt, before they take such action.
    09-03-13 12:55 PM
    Summarizing recent 2 quarters BBRY didn't burned a penny. Even if this quarter they will have loss it will be less than 200M$. Massive loss can only happen if they haven't sold any device. But I'm expecting the device sale will actually go up this quarter, but with lower margin. Z10 price drop was strong catalyst for sales.

(Of course that's my opinion only, which was formed by tracking bestseller ranking from Amazon, BestBuy and various carrier sites (in USA,UK, UAE, Indonesia) which were supported by some statistics like Global Stats, Kantar and ComScore)
    09-03-13 01:00 PM
    I know this is a fan site but I swear most people here are deluded to think things are fine and dandy.. BlackBerry is obviously is trouble. Here in England most people don't even know bb10 exists. It's terrible

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-03-13 01:01 PM
    Bankruptcy isn't, by far, the only way a company can "go away." BB is a publicly-owned company, and if the (major) shareholders no longer believe that BB has a future, they'll break it up and sell it off and split up the remaining money. They certainly won't let BB spend down to zero, much less go into debt, before they take such action.
    They can't do that until they own 90% of company share.
    09-03-13 01:01 PM
    I know this is a fan site but I swear most people here are deluded to think things are fine and dandy.. BlackBerry is obviously is trouble. Here in England most people don't even know bb10 exists. It's terrible

Posted via CB10
    Things are far from being fine, but also far from company being dead. Right now BBRY is operating company which has its target users and they still buying phones. Everybody here said why to release BB 9720, but even in UK there is some demand for it, not talking about South Africa, Indonesia, UAE, Saudi Arabia they are BBRY customers like any other customer.
    PS: In Israel people wonders that BBRY still making phones
    09-03-13 01:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I'm sorry, I do like blackberry and when I got my first smartphone last year it was always going to be a blackberry. I got a 9790 and it was a great phone.

But I have genuinely realised this phone is over. I know I will now have to be using a touchscreen keyboard, but at least the phone will be better in other ways.
    09-03-13 01:12 PM
    BlackBerry has been reported to be on its deathbed for several years and has been pronounced dead by many others.

Like anything, one day that will happen.

For now, all my BlackBerry devices are functioning fine. And I expect to be buying a Q soon.
    I agree. The sky has been falling for the last few years (some people even believe BlackBerry went bankrupt - go figure how they got that information) and, from my windows, I still see it up there.

I am looking forward to a Z30. =0)
    09-03-13 01:35 PM
    i'm amazed at people... they have been saying bb is dead since the last two years... why do people so much want to see this company dead???

let us suppose that the news is true... that bb will be dead in 6 months, so what do you or we do?

it's like a doctor telling a patient he has 6 months to live. now will you start diging his grave and printing his funural cards and making funeral arangements, just coz the doc said he has 6 more months. from the looks of things, this is exactly what people here are doing, selecting grave site, diging graves, making funeral arangements, making the guest list and choosing the menu. some may call it event management and planning. but like they say, 'it aien't over till the fat lady sings', and the lady still has a few more pounds to gain and the show still is going on before it is her turn to sing... so please keep calm and remain seated till the show is over.

be polite enough for the guy to actually die, before pronouncing him dead.

i know, bad example but what can i do... if you guys have a better one kindly correct me.

thank you.
    No it's a good analogy...my mother had the same biliary duct liver disease that killed Walter Payton. I came home from school one day in grade 9 to be told that she had no more than a year and no less than 6 months to live. I watched her go down to 88lbs and bright yellow with cirrhosis (all while I raised my baby brother and sister while dad worked, and worked 2 jobs to help pay the bills at home).

One day, her liver count in a regular blood panel went from outrageously high to normal. They admitted her because it had never happened before (and the doctor wrote a paper because the disease is almost always fatal even with a transplant) and he couldn't believe it.

This was in 1990. She's still alive today (mind you she now has a tumour on her pituitary due to medications she was in for a prolonged period of time so there's still health issues happening)...but it's been far longer than a year.

I think the analogy fits perfectly. I won't believe BB is done until they announce it.

EDIT

Holy crap, when did I pass 5000 posts?!
    09-03-13 01:37 PM
    What made you set up your account on Crackberry today to post that article?

Seriously I'd like to know what the motivation was to do that.

If you're not a troll than what made you post that particular article instead of just saying Hi Crackberry as your first post.

Intentions mean everything here.

Ha! Conspiracy theory! Just reporting the news broadcast to the nation by the BBC. The entire watching public heard Manoj Menon proclaim BBRY has 6 months. Whats missing is a counter argument. Alternatively we could just not mention it....

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    moody and maddie1128 like this.
    09-03-13 01:40 PM
    This thread is life evidence of how media manipulates masses mind.
    09-03-13 01:43 PM
    I don't see a strong reasoning of 6 months to live,on behalf of BBC.
    they are just churning the rumor mills,yes there can be diversification, buyout BUT I STILL SEE BB WILL SURVIVE
    09-03-13 01:44 PM
    What made you set up your account on Crackberry today to post that article?

Seriously I'd like to know what the motivation was to do that.

If you're not a troll than what made you post that particular article instead of just saying Hi Crackberry as your first post.

Intentions mean everything here.
    I don't think you realize the magnitude of that statement, what the original OP is trying portray.

The BBC is watched by millions, we (many millions who watch the news) get home from work after finishing at 5pm, have a little snack, put on the news on BBC One, 6pm. At 6:30pm the news then automatically switches to local areas news, but remains on BBC One, so yes, everyone usually watches just before the switchover.

At approx 6:15pm (for a second time), a message went out to the masses that Blackberry has 6 months left. Nokia is a talking point right now, and part of the conversation will be when somebody is seen holding a Blackberry, "Blackberry has only 6 months left?", also as per usual the company will not refute the claim, Thorsten is going to be a good little puppy and stay hush, he only ever comes out of his hole to mess things up then goes back in to hiding for another 2-3 months.

Why would you now go in to a shop to buy a Blackberry on a typical 24 month contract when you've heard on the "news" the company only has 6 months left.
    09-03-13 01:46 PM
    and interesting part is that BB at this time has no reasonable buyer,they have to make bb10 success happen,its not a wave but ripples can be felt,just tried bbm channels,see the possibility.
    09-03-13 01:46 PM
    I don't think you realize the magnitude of that statement, what the original OP is trying portray.

The BBC is watched by millions, we (many millions who watch the news) get home from work after finishing at 5pm, have a little snack, put on the news on BBC One, 6pm. At 6:30pm the news then automatically switches to local areas news, but remains on BBC One.

At approx 6:15pm (for a second time), a message went out to the masses that Blackberry has 6 months left. Nokia is a talking point right now, and part of the conversation will be when somebody is seen holding a Blackberry, "Blackberry has only 6 months left?", also as per usual the company will not refute the claim, Thorsten is going to be a good little puppy and stay hush, he only ever comes out of his hole to mess things up then goes back in to hiding for another 2-3 months.
    That's all fine but if that many people saw this news why is he the only one who said Hmmm let's go to Crackberry set up a new profile and post it with the thought that NO ONE on this website saw it.

Have no problem with discussions of any kind. I do have a problem with trolls causing crap like this. Its just idiotic that's all.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    09-03-13 01:49 PM
    That's all fine but if that many people saw this news why is he the only one who said Hmmm let's go to Crackberry set up a new profile and post it with the thought that NO ONE on this website saw it.

Have no problem with discussions of any kind. I do have a problem with trolls causing crap like this. Its just idiotic that's all.
    To be honest I just saw the post for the news, didn't look too deep in to motives, post count etc etc

He was the first to bring the BBC news to the non UK users, I see no harm in that, maybe thats why he set up an account, wanted to be "First", we all know how much people like to be "First".
    09-03-13 01:54 PM
    And? Lol!! But ironically, at least there is still one person in England that still knows that BB10 exists and its YOU!! Haha. Can you now see how absurd your statement is? Maybe your friends are in the dark about BB10's existence but please don't generalize. Most of my friends who reside in England own the new BB10s. So am I to conclude from my observation that BlackBerry is doing brisk business in England?

To each their own; my "Lil Z-darling (Z10)" rocks and I'm loving it more each day.

Posted via CB10
    moody and der_mit like this.
    09-03-13 02:02 PM
    Blackberry is more or less now gone from the mainstream phone market, or it is very close.

If they don't concentrate on becoming a niche market like an executive said, then they probably will close.
    09-03-13 02:04 PM
    - I would tell the 'Analyst' .. the same thing when I saw his face .. 'Sir you got Six months left before Blackberry starts to climb up again' .. lol
    09-03-13 02:23 PM
    As my Z10 gets better and better with every leaked OS I install, BBRY seems to have gone quiet. Now's not the time for silence.
    09-03-13 02:26 PM
98 1234