I know, everyone has their two cents about RIM�s current situation, highlighting where they�ve failed, where they�ve succeeded and where they�re headed. Today I join the group... sort of.

I�ve had a BlackBerry attached to my hip for over 5 years now, in those years they�ve seen me go through my daily routine, I�ve thrown them in anger, slept with them under my pillow, and some of the most important messages I�ve ever received have come through my BlackBerry. It will go off, take focus and stop me mid-conversation with someone. I lay in bed at night replying to emails and I�ll wake up in the morning to read all the flyers that came in at 3am. This thing is an integral part of my work and personal life and it always will be. Here�s where I think a few things have gone astray in the past few years.

The BlackBerry I know is a best-in-class communications device. Its emails received on my hip in about 3 seconds and replied to in under a minute. It�s BBM/PIN messaging with family or colleagues out in the field. It�s battery life that blows every other device out of the water. Do we all remember the 7200 series? I�m convinced that thing is sitting in my desk drawer with at least 20% battery left.

I�m carefully writing this, but the mistake, if you will, that RIM made was taking these business class devices and putting them on the same consumer level as Apple and Android devices. I can basically pin-point it to when the first Curves hit the shelf, that�s when RIM decided it was going to enter the consumer market and suddenly every Timmy, Sue, and Billy had one in high-school.

Every time I hear the comparison that iPhone or Android beats BlackBerry, I cringe. They aren�t the same devices. It�s like having two oranges and a banana, and stating that the banana will never be like these oranges. That�s right: it�s a banana, it�s not supposto be an orange!

So I think that RIM should have maybe lessened their entry into the consumer market and focused on the business users, but you know what? They�re working on it and I have faith. It�s hard to go from one business idea that you�re so used to and merging that into an existing market. I get that.

BlackBerry is my workhorse, as an Engineer with Rogers in Canada I need it for work most, but it�s nice that it plays music, has Facebook, a web browser, a camera and can do things like play YouTube videos, but to me it will always be the best messaging device, ever. When I want to sit back and play games, I�ll pull out my PlayBook.

I�m proud to say I�ve owned every BlackBerry from the 7250 to the 9900 I have now, and I�m sure I�ll be one of the first in line for the next one, and the next one, and the next one.
    12-20-11 11:03 PM
    Could NOT have said it better!!

2012 The RIMPire strikes back
    12-20-11 11:33 PM
    Nice job with the post.

I really do hope that in 2012 the RIMpire will strike back.
    12-20-11 11:40 PM
    Great post. I have the same feelings towards all of my BBs. I hope they transition to BB10 and show the world they can be innovative again.
    12-20-11 11:45 PM
    Great read! The truth has been spoken!
    12-20-11 11:46 PM
    My sentiments exactly.
    12-20-11 11:49 PM
    What everyone else said. Good post!
    12-21-11 12:04 AM
    Excellent post indeed. I envied everyone I saw with a BlackBerry back in 2008, then I got my first Curve late that year. The next year, changed carriers and got another Curve, then this year I moved up to the Bold to go with my new Playbook. Love them all, and I want to see RIM succeed so that the best gets better and better!
    wxmancanada likes this.
    12-21-11 12:16 AM
    Wonderful post!
    12-21-11 12:21 AM
    Not only am I going to like and thank the OP's post when I get to my computer, but it was so good that I'm tempted to create another five fake accounts just to like and thank it again.
    spike12 and wxmancanada like this.
    12-21-11 12:42 AM
    That was refreshing to read. As you can see there are many who feel the same way! Nothing I would rather see than RIM having a solid 2012 and getting rid of all the doom and gloom talk.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    12-21-11 12:44 AM
    I am glad the OP likes his BB. I had him beat, as I was a BB user for a couple or more years beyond 5. I believe my first BB was the 6230. I think that was the one? Anyways, I have owned dozens of Blackberries. Some of them being the same model.

I recently switched to an iPhone 4S. For ME, it beats my BB in every way possible for email, gps, speed, business capabilities, fun, photo, etc. These are all smart phones that do email, PIM, etc. I don't agree with oranges and bananas analogy but that is just me.

If the BB works for you, great.

Good post.
    12-21-11 01:06 AM
    Seriously! Amen x 1000. It's no wonder people refer to Android as just an unpolished iOS. They function so similarly because their form factors and main purposes are ultimately the exact same.

If Android or Apple wanted to get serious about messaging and communicating, and not just games, music players, and widgets........, their email and text messaging interfaces wouldn't be so lacking. And all the Android marketshare we hear about, how many of those phones have keyboards that aren't just plain sh1t??? I'm convinced that HTC, Samsung, Motorola and even Apple just hope that the world forgets what real keyboards are, because from what I've seen on Androids, no hardware manufacturer is capable of making a keyboard.

I'm betting on RIM to come out of this, but if for some reason they don't and something catastrophic happens, I really hope they keep making keyboards and sell them to the other makers, because "QWERTY keyboard by BlackBerry" would be a huge selling point. If nothing else, NO ONE can say that ANYONE makes a better phone keyboard than RIM. No one.
    12-21-11 01:41 AM
    Very nice post. Well said. I am so happy to not have my Android or iphone anymore. BB is definately my fav out of all them)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-11 01:58 AM
    those are my sentiments exactly.. ive been a BB user for over 7 years and have been reading on this forum for the last couple. Decided to finally join and fully embrace the Berry community, hopefully 2012 will be a better year!
    12-21-11 01:59 AM
    damn right eh
    you said it!
    12-21-11 02:06 AM
    The question is.. how can we get those words out?
    12-21-11 02:17 AM
    It's nice to see a thread go this long without any trolling. It's been a while. I would also like to point out that although I'm incredibly excited for the next generation of BlackBerry, I'm still actually enjoying my Torch 9800. Such an improvement over my first BlackBerry (Storm 9530). Maybe i should also mention that I'm typing all this out on my Playbook, which despite all the crap the reviewers from most of the tech blogs have spewed is actually quite an amazing and easy to use device. I seriously hope that we start seeing more posts of this positive nature. I've stayed pretty silent up until now but I've reached my breaking point and I've started commenting and pointing out the poor reporting and unfounded negativity that I see on some of my favorite tech blogs. I hope more will start doing the same.
    12-21-11 05:12 AM
    this is the part where we ask ourselves how many companies we know are moving away from bes and introducing ios devices.

times have changed. rim did not keep up. exiting the mass consumer market would mean instant death for blackberry. and let's not forget that specializing in a specific market would mean instant disqualification in the race for market share, which translates into loss of developer interest.
    12-21-11 05:54 AM
    In reading these comments, I find myself wondering if any of you have spent any time with the more recent models of Android or Apple phones. Seriously folks, there is a reason that their market-share leaves RIM in the dust, and it's the same reason that RIM is bringing out devices that more closely emulates them. The new Androids and iPhones offer the greater degree of functionality that attracts consumers. I have owned BlackBerry devices, iphones, and androids, and in my opinion, (with the exception of BBM) RIM has a ways to go in catching up.

My current daily use devices are a Samsung Galaxy S2 and a BB Playbook. Both have very impressive hardware, but where the SGS2 shines and the Playbook fails horribly, is software infrastructure and developer support. Without these, the Playbook brings to mind the idea of owning a Lamborghini that is governed to limit the top speed to 50mph. It still looks pretty, but doesn't do much.

RIM has to decide if they are serious about competing with the big boys in the general consumer market, or if they are going to relegate themselves to being a much smaller niche market company, and start making smart moves to support that choice.
    12-21-11 08:11 AM
    Outstanding post, took the words right out of my mouth......GOOD job
    12-21-11 08:18 AM
    Good post man I feel the same way.
    Trolls Don't understand we use BB devices for a
    reason not cause were forced to, but cause we choose to.

Excellent post indeed. I envied everyone I saw with a BlackBerry back in 2008, then I got my first Curve late that year.
    my first smartphone was iphone 2g then 3g then 3gs and then Android
    by late 2010 I got my first BB 9700. it was a temp for one day until
    my Galaxy S replacement got in. Got my Galaxy next day, but kept using the
    9700 instead
    In all that time I envied the blackberry phones with their BBM, Email
    and wonderful Keyboard.
    batboris likes this.
    12-21-11 09:24 AM
    Thank you so much everyone for the positive comments, the response is overwhelming and I'm really glad to see everyone appreciates this, even if you disagree. Some things I wanted to reply to though:

In reading these comments, I find myself wondering if any of you have spent any time with the more recent models of Android or Apple phones.
    Yes, I have. I own a 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S. They all get about a day of playtime when I first get them, then they go in a drawer and rarely come out again. What I think you're missing is that a phone is a personal choice, you picked Android and that's great. I picked BlackBerry. There's no need to push your device on other people and tell us that the most recent model of your phone blows ours out the water. Everyone has their opinion of what is their 'ideal'. BlackBerry is my ideal.

RIM has to decide if they are serious about competing with the big boys in the general consumer market, or if they are going to relegate themselves to being a much smaller niche market company, and start making smart moves to support that choice.
    I agree with this. They need to either stick to what they're good at, or really amp up the competitive edge. I personally think they need to stick to really cutting edge business devices.

I recently switched to an iPhone 4S. For ME, it beats my BB in every way possible [...] If the BB works for you, great.
    And in reality, that's all that matters. It's what works for you. Everyone's needs are different.

Good post man I feel the same way.
    Trolls Don't understand we use BB devices for a reason not cause were forced to, but cause we choose to.
    Amen! I could have an iPhone or Android device, I choose BlackBerry!
    12-21-11 11:07 AM
    Fantastic post! You are exactly right...call me crazy, but I can't do without the LED notifications! LOL...trust me, live without it for a while and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    12-21-11 11:22 AM
    Great post!! I come from the other end of the spectrum. I had an iPhone for 2 years and traded it for a bb. (Thankfully before I ran over it with my car or threw it against a brick wall). I've been using since July of this year and my 9810 is the best handset, bar none, that I've ever owned. I started on a 9780. I don't play a lot of games. I use my bb for email, texts, and calendar and tasks, some music and gps. I also LOVE bb notifications and the red light.

So I don't have to explain why I was frustrated with the iPhone.

Now I stand here just hoping RIM makes it. I just joined the party late and now they could go under!?!?! I REALLY hope they put their house in order. These are great products and I hope they're around for the foreseeable future.

If they go under, I don't know what I'll do. I WON"T go back to iPhone. Maybe Android, if I can a phone that has battery life that will last more than 6-7 hours.
    Last edited by Tedley24; 12-21-11 at 06:23 PM.
    12-21-11 06:21 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD