Telus announces 4G network upgrade - The Globe and Mail

With Telus upgrading in March, could we expect BlackBerry to take advantage of the 4g?

I sure hope so!
    02-08-11 02:42 PM
    Can't imagine why we might expect such a thing...Verizon's LTE network is growing constantly, yet there's not even a hint that any of this year's Berry crop will be LTE-capable...
    02-08-11 03:37 PM
    RIM isn't going to make 4G phones until some standards are established or if a carrier special orders 4G. Telus is likely just going to HSPA+ as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 03:54 PM
    I don't think verizon is even interested in bbs, they are more intersted in android phones and now the iPhone.

02-08-11 04:45 PM
    Telus and Bell are already Hspa+

02-08-11 07:18 PM
    This is going to be odd, is Telus going to launch a Verizon like LTE? meaning they are going to downgrade their speeds for people moving from telus GSM to Telus CDMA/LTE? and calling it 4G? or are they going to do as they US GSM people did and call ALL their new phones 4G capable?
    02-08-11 07:19 PM
    I imagine Bell will make a similiar announcement soon too since Telus and Bell each paid for half of the HSPA network that's replacing their CDMA network.
    02-08-11 07:23 PM
    Seeing that all the announcements for upcoming devices are 3G, probably nothing until next year will be LTE.
    02-08-11 07:30 PM
    Telus doesn't have 4G yet, probably won't have 4G until 10 years from now, that being 'true' 4G.

02-09-11 02:45 AM
    Telus doesn't have 4G yet, probably won't have 4G until 10 years from now, that being 'true' 4G.

If you ask them they will tell you they do.
    Telus is taking a page from the American carriers book of marketing and renaming their HSPA networks "4G"

Here they claim to have launched their "4G" network in 2009...
    4G Network | TELUS Mobility

The speed chart shows three levels of 4G (21Mbps, 42Mbps, and LTE)
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 02-09-11 at 10:20 AM.
    02-09-11 10:18 AM
    If you ask them they will tell you they do.
    Telus is taking a page from the American carriers book of marketing and renaming their HSPA networks "4G"
    I call that deceptive advertising. At least wind, public and mobilicity haven't lied about it.

02-09-11 10:20 AM
    I call that deceptive advertising. At least wind, public and mobilicity haven't lied about it.

I agree. The carriers are a bunch of charlatans.
    It's just a shell game designed to confuse the consumer into thinking they are getting more than they are.

I'm afraid Wind, Mobilicity et al may not have a choice but to start calling it like everybody else or they will "appear" like they have slower service when in fact they may not.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 02-09-11 at 10:30 AM.
    02-09-11 10:28 AM
    Telus and Bell are already Hspa+

The so-called upgrade to 4G is Telus going to Dual Cell HSPA+. As probably mentioned already, this really isn't LTE at all...
    02-09-11 07:05 PM
    4G network vs. 4G speed definitions. It's all 4G no matter how you slice it in one way our another.
    02-09-11 08:27 PM
    I'd still buy it if it has 4G. I mean a bought a bold when it came out because of 3G.
    02-13-11 09:58 PM
    I'd still buy it if it has 4G. I mean a bought a bold when it came out because of 3G.
    Bingo. That is why they are calling it 4G because people will buy it cause they will think it's better/faster. Pure marketing.
    02-14-11 06:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD