Some girl had my BB for like a week (long story.) I had to use an iphone for that time period, I ALMOST CRIED. That phone and its none multitasking sucks so much. Try and take my 8330 from my hand, TRY! That being said, RIM can you step it up a bit though?
    03-16-10 12:50 PM
    Not really. Self reports are not good indicators because only those with a certain strongly held opinion one way or the other bother to respond. Also, the location where the poll was held is questionable. If in that publication you poll the readership you will find a bias towards Apple and Microsoft because those are the demographics they target, based on their "About Us" and their list of supported software/tech. They just go into group think. Which is why if you listen to Fox News you get one idea of what is happening in America and then you go to MSNBC and you get an entirely different version of events.

A true poll will perform random sampling in a neutral environment.
    So, ultimately, what you're saying is the sample wasn't representative and it wasn't randomly obtained.

Thanks.
    03-16-10 12:54 PM
    As soon as my contract(s) are up, I'll be leaving BB for another device...

I have 2 Storm 9530's (Verizon), and a Bold 9000 (AT&T), and have nothing but continual problems with all of them, with different carriers, it's not likely that it's the service, but the problems are with the devices themselves.
    03-16-10 12:59 PM

I have 2 Storm 9530's (Verizon), and a Bold 9000 (AT&T), and have nothing but continual problems with all of them, with different carriers, it's not likely that it's the service, but the problems are with the devices themselves.
    Another possibility could be user error.
    03-16-10 01:00 PM
    I just watched the iPhone HD video on youtube and people are actually complaining about the replaceable battery,,!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Does that mean the iPhone is for Dummies? Could be.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 03-16-10 at 01:04 PM.
    03-16-10 01:01 PM
    I agree..you couldnt tear my Blackberry away from me! I could never go back to an Iphone ever again!
    03-16-10 01:01 PM

My 9000 works perfectly, does everything I want. My only gripe is the limited app memory, but BB already has that sorted out.
    03-16-10 01:03 PM
    I don't think the pollster needs to have any expertise on any one platform or another. I believe their statements about that are based on the fact that they appear to do a lot of work for the various OS publishers.
    They don't, but I seriously question a study that focuses on smartphone brand loyalty when 44% of their respondents don't use a smartphone at all...

That makes for a very poor indication of sticking with your current smartphone brand or not...
    03-16-10 01:03 PM
    I am by no means, defending the study, I'm trying to keep an open mind. Some of the posts I'm reading here seem a bit silly and are coming from a lack of knowledge about the entire process. Qb, not to single you out, in fact, I think your point is well made, but rarely do we see polls where all the dry, technical data is reported. Instead, we simply see poll results (though they usually put a +/- for margin of error, did not see that with this one).

I've always been suspicious of web-based polls, but that does not mean that the math and polling gurus couldn't come up with something.

I don't think the pollster needs to have any expertise on any one platform or another. I believe their statements about that are based on the fact that they appear to do a lot of work for the various OS publishers.

I'd like to know more about the details of the poll. Until then, I'll simply say "hmmm...interesting" and then wait to see what else crops up!
    You may be right, point taken - maybe I'm used to reading reams of reports where studies are conducted and where the minute you give a conclusion you are expected to back it up. Guess I'm a boring, fact driven geek?!?!?

However...a *credible* source does list this information or links to it to where someone who wants the information can find it.
    03-16-10 01:10 PM
    So, ultimately, what you're saying is the sample wasn't representative and it wasn't randomly obtained.

Thanks.
    Yah, kinda sorta yah...
    03-16-10 01:11 PM
    Well I have switched.. but that's just because the iPhone works better for my needs. All of my emails have supported push email, I got used to a touch screen with my 9550, I use my iPhone (/used to use my ipod touch) for my music device in my car - so it's ALWAYS charging when in my car (so battery isn't an issue), it has an apps for: my gps car unit, my school website, my service provider, my calendar, etc. Honestly I miss the LED the most - bbming is great, but text messages work for me.

I'm not bashing RIM - **** I love blackberries.. I have my 9550 for sale and am having problems letting it go lol, but it's just for the time being the iPhone is a better choice for me to have an all-in-one device.
    03-16-10 01:40 PM
    And preferences change over time! I remember when work first MADE me carry my first berry I was horrified. That thing was ugly as sin!!! At that time I had a black Razr and a silver one. And a couple of Samsungs. And the Siemens SX66. I hated that ugly blue berry.

Of course, some years later I can't imagine being without my berry.

Let's see who turns my head next. If anyone!
    03-16-10 02:36 PM
    the only thing that is a complete deal breaker is no multitasking on iphone (well for me) Also i would not want at & t. But if verizon gets the iphone and they redesign it to allow multitasking i would switch in a second. I love blackberry but it seems like blackberry always stays the same nothing ever changes, which i can understand for someone interested in just the business aspect of it, but i think that a majority of customers want it to be more "fun" like an iphone. The only thing that ever gets improved is little upgrades to the os to get rid of bugs and stuff that should have not been there in the first place. Just my thoughts but i have an itouch and if there is wifi around, i can tell you for sure that i would use that over my tour any day, just wish it had multitasking.
    Last edited by kyky489; 03-16-10 at 03:07 PM.
    03-16-10 03:04 PM
    Ha! Well, the first ones certainly wouldn't win any prize for aesthetics, that's for sure. I had a similar situation though. Office INSISTED I get a Blackberry. Three times, I went into the store and played with them and I hated those tiny, little keys. I resisted..boss was getting a bit ticked off. Ultimately, I left the job (not over the Blackberry, lol, though the boss DID bring that up when we were discussing why I was leaving and then of course, he felt compelled to bring up the things that bothered him about me (once saw me in the office with my feet up on the desk...HORROR!!!). Anyway, it was after that when the first Storm came out and I realized that it was far easier for me to navigate the keyboard and thus, I became a convert.

And preferences change over time! I remember when work first MADE me carry my first berry I was horrified. That thing was ugly as sin!!! At that time I had a black Razr and a silver one. And a couple of Samsungs. And the Siemens SX66. I hated that ugly blue berry.

Of course, some years later I can't imagine being without my berry.

Let's see who turns my head next. If anyone!
    03-16-10 05:12 PM
    Interesting.. Not sure how accurate but interesting nonetheless. I still love my BB..
    03-16-10 07:58 PM
    Sellouts!

Just kidding..I've been through a lot of smartphones over the years (SX66, HTC Tilt, SE p800, SE p910i, Eten m500, 7290, 8700, 8300, 9000, 9700...just from what I remember), and the most stable platform is definitely BB. However, the others DID have better browsing capabilities, and I think the current competition still does...its where BB is lacking, but I think they will soon pick up the slack

Summary...I will bleed Blackberry till I bleed no more
    03-16-10 08:07 PM
    I have switched back and forth between phones, but have always came back to BB.
    03-16-10 08:47 PM
    I have switched back and forth between phones, but have always came back to BB.
    Once you get used to the UI of a Berry its hard to use anything else. Every function on another device seems hard. You start thinking, why didnt they just do it like.........................the BLACKBERRY!?
    03-16-10 09:32 PM
    I wouldn't give up my BB for an iPhone. For one thing ATT sucks a$$ in my area.

However, my wife has an iPod Touch and it really is remarkable the number of applications for that device. This is where RIM drops the ball IMO.

I'm not really sure of the reason either. Is it too hard or expensive to develop for the RIM OS? Is the developer kit garbage? Anyone know?
    03-16-10 10:42 PM
    I tried many smartphones and I found the iPhone keyboard to be unusable. A lot of new smartphones are not designed for man-sized thumbs and the Curve 8520 is one of the worst.

However, a few BlackBerry phones do boast a large-enough keyboard for man-sized thumbs and its very hard for me to upgrade from the 8800 keyboard. (There are many better features on the newer BlackBerrys but without a better keyboard those phones cannot qualify as an upgrade..)

For me the poll is meaningless - arstechnica represents some geeks who seek the most advanced toys rather than something that suits their needs.
    Last edited by flop; 03-16-10 at 11:11 PM.
    03-16-10 11:07 PM
    The day I stop using a BlackBerry is the day the men in the white suits come to take me away.
    03-16-10 11:42 PM
    Even if those numbers were accurate those people would be right back ASAP after discovering the limitations of the iPhone and the Apple mind control techniques.
    Apple mind control techniques?

APPLE MIND CONTROL TECHNIQUES?!

Oh for christ's sake, some people need to put down their friggin' blackberry.
    03-17-10 12:17 AM
    Apple mind control techniques?

APPLE MIND CONTROL TECHNIQUES?!

Oh for christ's sake, some people need to put down their friggin' blackberry.
    Maybe some people need to learn how to recognize sarcasm?
    03-17-10 12:49 AM
    On this board, sometimes it's hard to tell who's joking and who isn't.

That's the sad part.
    03-17-10 01:58 AM
    40% of us are joking...
    03-17-10 02:10 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD