Hello folks! I have few questions that are placed in point form and I would appreciate if you answer to those, that you know the answer to. Based on those answers I will decide which device is better for me. Thank you in advance.
    P.S. Some of those might be silly, but it's because my experience with BB has been only for 3 months for Bold 9000 (a device that left some sour taste)

1) Since with OS10, there was no longer need for BIS and all traffic went through usual access points. How does this change affect security and compression that BB was famous for? I was under the assumption that because pre-OS10 used BB only access points, it was more secure that way. Now, what exactly is the difference between android/WM phones and BB in how they handle traffic?

2) Why is it when I read the forums and reviews, people keep mentioning that they are waiting for Z10 upgrade? Isn't Z30 for that? And I am not reading old stuff when there was no Z30 yet, it's recent posts and people mention that they are waiting for Z50...but wasn't it Z30 job to upgrade Z10?

3) I am not ready to fully switch from iOS devices but want BB as a secondary device. Not a backup device, but secondary. Where I live, having more than 1 SIM card is the norm. This will provide me with twice the battery and twice the coverage needed. But the problem is I can't decide which device is more suitable.
    I am literally stuck between all of the models even including Bold 9900!

My requirement would be just one: crystal clear voice quality, battery and reception. This BB would only be used for making voice calls, and access to data when main line doesn't have. It would most likely only run on EDGE mode and have data disabled as main data device will be either iPhone 6 or iPad Mini with SIM card. What would you guys suggest?
    Q5 looks ok, but I am afraid it's of inferior quality when it comes to components and comparing to Q10. And then there's the Classic as well coming up. And there's Z10 which is still a capable device. And even 9900 which proved to be a workhorse. My priorities once again: the best voice quality and reception.

4) Are those brand new in box Bold 9900 from eBay really BNIB? Or are they refurbished units that you can't tell from a brand new unit? If my choice falls on Bold 9900, there aren't any more places where I can buy a brand new one. BestBuy and Future Shop only carry refurbished units for ridiculous $249. And on eBay they have for way less and Brand New. I am really anal about getting something 2nd hand, it irks me of someone
    hint have used a device before me. So to those who purchased 9900 from Ebay, was it really BNIB?

P.S. Yes I know about shop.blackberry revival of 9900 but it's too expensive there. I can't pay that much for 9900
    06-26-14 01:55 AM
    For Q#2 I guess some people wanted the Z30 spec w/ Z10 form factor.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-14 04:08 AM
    The BlackBerry Q5s is not an inferior smartphone.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-26-14 05:52 AM
    My requirement would be just one: crystal clear voice quality, battery and reception.
    You don't need a BlackBerry then, not even a smartphone.
    A feature phone would be the best for voice calls only....

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    jafrul likes this.
    06-26-14 06:51 AM
    The BlackBerry Q5s is not an inferior smartphone.
    Inferior to the Q10? Sorry English isn't my fort language, doesn't inferior mean it's of lesser stats?

You don't need a BlackBerry then, not even a smartphone.
    A feature phone would be the best for voice calls only....
    You are not a salesperson I see
    But the thing is I want a BB. I just will use it less than my main phone. And having 2 different providers is much better than 1. In Russia Internet is spotty, so people often carry 2 devices. I ready tried a feature phone. Didn't like it.
    Last edited by Vae_Victus; 06-26-14 at 12:15 PM.
    06-26-14 12:01 PM
    If getting service is an issue the dual-antenna technology in the Z30 would probably benefit you the most. Last night I was at 33% battery and still had an estimated 22 hours of use left. Battery is great on the z30. The touch keyboard works much better on a larger form than on the z10.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    06-26-14 12:16 PM
    1) From what I understand, unless on BES they are about as secure as any other phone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I keep seeing that in posts here.

2) Z30 is a step up from the Z10 feature-wise. When you see people asking for a Z10 upgrade, I think what they want is the same form factor + an upgrade. Not everyone wants a phone the same size as a Z30. I own a Z10, the two main things I would want in an upgrade would be better battery life and more than 16 GB of memory for apps. Everything else I am satisfied with for now.

3) The Z30 has the best antenna technology. I have at least one of each of the BB10 lineup of phones you mention in my immediate family. All are capable of crystal clear voice calls. My mother has the Q5. It's plastic but feels solid. She managed to break hers by pinching the screen when she slammed the phone in the glove box of my Jeep. Waiting for replacement parts. If you get a Q5, just don't do what she did and you should be fine.

4) Buyer beware on Ebay. The only way you would know of would be to ask and hope they are telling the truth. I bought a BNIB torch 9810 from Ebay and try as I might, could not get BlackBerry services to work on it. After digging around I was told by a carrier that both the IMEI and the PIN were clear but were not linked together. He said he'd seen it a few times when a refurbished phone was not properly registered in the BlackBerry database. After a nasty fight I was able to return it to the seller, lost my shipping money though. So, we can't possibly tell you if Ebay phones are really BNIB or not. You can do your research, but there's always going to be a bit of risk involved.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 12:21 PM
    Regarding devise suggestions, I think your best bet would be the Q10. The screen size relative to battery size makes for very good battery life. I would chose the Q10 over the Q5 because the Q10 is higher quality in just about every respect, and the price difference is negligible. Also, the Q10 has the AMOLED screen which helps battery life even more when paired with dark theme interface in BB10.
    06-26-14 12:51 PM
    Inferior to the Q10? Sorry English isn't my fort language, doesn't inferior mean it's of lesser stats?
    You are not a salesperson I see
    Well, if image counts, get a Q10 - it looks more "professional" and "premium" than a Q5

It doesn't take much space, either - so it'll be easy to carry as a second phone.

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    06-26-14 01:02 PM
    Hello folks! I have few questions that are placed in point form and I would appreciate if you answer to those, that you know the answer to. Based on those answers I will decide which device is better for me. Thank you in advance.
    P.S. Some of those might be silly, but it's because my experience with BB has been only for 3 months for Bold 9000 (a device that left some sour taste)

1) Since with OS10, there was no longer need for BIS and all traffic went through usual access points. How does this change affect security and compression that BB was famous for? I was under the assumption that because pre-OS10 used BB only access points, it was more secure that way. Now, what exactly is the difference between android/WM phones and BB in how they handle traffic?

2) Why is it when I read the forums and reviews, people keep mentioning that they are waiting for Z10 upgrade? Isn't Z30 for that? And I am not reading old stuff when there was no Z30 yet, it's recent posts and people mention that they are waiting for Z50...but wasn't it Z30 job to upgrade Z10?

3) I am not ready to fully switch from iOS devices but want BB as a secondary device. Not a backup device, but secondary. Where I live, having more than 1 SIM card is the norm. This will provide me with twice the battery and twice the coverage needed. But the problem is I can't decide which device is more suitable.
    I am literally stuck between all of the models even including Bold 9900!

My requirement would be just one: crystal clear voice quality, battery and reception. This BB would only be used for making voice calls, and access to data when main line doesn't have. It would most likely only run on EDGE mode and have data disabled as main data device will be either iPhone 6 or iPad Mini with SIM card. What would you guys suggest?
    Q5 looks ok, but I am afraid it's of inferior quality when it comes to components and comparing to Q10. And then there's the Classic as well coming up. And there's Z10 which is still a capable device. And even 9900 which proved to be a workhorse. My priorities once again: the best voice quality and reception.

4) Are those brand new in box Bold 9900 from eBay really BNIB? Or are they refurbished units that you can't tell from a brand new unit? If my choice falls on Bold 9900, there aren't any more places where I can buy a brand new one. BestBuy and Future Shop only carry refurbished units for ridiculous $249. And on eBay they have for way less and Brand New. I am really anal about getting something 2nd hand, it irks me of someone
    hint have used a device before me. So to those who purchased 9900 from Ebay, was it really BNIB?

P.S. Yes I know about shop.blackberry revival of 9900 but it's too expensive there. I can't pay that much for 9900
    1. If you want bis compression there are solutions like chrome and opera that offer better then bis compression and isn't affected by server outages as you just go non proxy and no compression if that ever happened

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-26-14 01:06 PM