i recently came across an application called SitOrSquat. basically its reviews of public toilets. (could be useful, i was more curious to see if people were actually reviewing them). this post is not about this specific application, for what its worth it works fine (if you just search for the town you're in).

anyways, the gps does not work with the application and it won't recognize your current location. after double checking all the settings it still didn't work. i figured the application just wasn't 100% compatible with the storm, but it didn't say that anywhere on the site, so i sent their customer service an email and got this response:

Hi, at the moment verizon doesn't let ANY application use GPS, the only data that's accessible on verizon BB is cell tower info and we're working with google (same as google maps) to get access to that info...as soon as we do we'll release a version that uses cell tower info which will be close to GPS

is this true?!?!?

i have weatherbug, bank of america and trapster apps that all seem to utilize the gps features. in fact, as far as i can tell, google maps is the only (location related) application that DOESN'T have have the ability to use gps. it actually says "GPS not available" when you try to use that feature.

i was really shocked by what this guy had to say, but before i responded and let him know that there were other applications that used it i wanted to double check with people here as i am still kind of a newb.

really looking forward to responses on this one
    01-21-09 10:42 AM
    i think that both google maps and this program try to access aGPS which is still locked to only vznav on the storm, and they dont bother to try regular gps.

like you said there are MANY programs that are able to use the GPS on the storm, so they really dont know what they are talking about
    01-21-09 11:07 AM
    i see what you're saying and that makes sense, i also don't know what this guy is talking about.
    01-21-09 11:30 AM
    Google maps uses tower triangulation not your actual gps location

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 11:33 AM
    just heard back from the guy:

I did mean agps, gps is available outdoors on the storm and curve....sorry for the typo; but w're trying to go with both a CDMA method (google) and out door supported gps....should all be updated soon....likely Friday

Thx again

Sent from my iPhone

good news about it updating by friday. seems like all is explained tho, the guy has an iPhone, no wonder he's clueless.
    01-21-09 11:35 AM
    just heard back from the guy:

I did mean agps, gps is available outdoors on the storm and curve....sorry for the typo; but w're trying to go with both a CDMA method (google) and out door supported gps....should all be updated soon....likely Friday

Thx again

Sent from my iPhone

good news about it updating by friday. seems like all is explained tho, the guy has an iPhone, no wonder he's clueless.
    Silly iPhone users....
    01-21-09 11:37 AM
    i see what you're saying and that makes sense, i also don't know what this guy is talking about.
    What part don't you understand? It's fairly clear.

Google maps uses tower triangulation not your actual gps location

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wasn't that established on post #2?

I think what the OP really wants to know is why this company is making this claim when there are several 3rd party apps that clearly use the internal GPS (not aGPS). It does seem a little odd that they would try to indicate that BB Maps is the only program that has direct access to the GPS. Perhaps there is some bias in the email trying to get us all riled up, lol. Who knows.
    01-21-09 11:43 AM
    check my update. the guy screwed up. the way he worded it tho was very strange.
    01-21-09 11:45 AM
    One of the guys from support got back to me as well. He said the same thing: they are working with google to use their CDMA data as well as putting a fix to attempt a HIGH power fix from the internal receiver. There should be at least one, if not both, out on Friday.
    01-21-09 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD