Will the blackpad have wifi and 3g?
    09-22-10 04:54 PM
    No....

"but will only be able to connect to cellular networks through a BlackBerry smartphone."
    .....it will have WiFi.
    09-22-10 05:00 PM
    no 3g?? no thanks
    09-22-10 06:06 PM
    no 3g?? no thanks
    Why?

It seems like RIM wants to put this out without forcing customers into a data plan just for the device when wifi isn't available. I'm sure any BlackBerry will connect to it very easily (by cable or bluetooth) offering you whatever speed your BlackBerry is capable of. So it really does have 3G, if your BlackBerry has 3G too.

People go through lots of work jail-breaking and buying apps just to get their iPad to use a BlackBerry's connection, same with iPhone users. RIM is by-passing all those work a rounds to begin with. I just don't see what your problem is...
    09-22-10 06:52 PM
    no 3g?? no thanks
    Why?? You want another contract to sign? I sure don't.
    09-22-10 06:56 PM
    Ditto. I pay too much to these jokers as it is. I'd much rather tether when I need to versus sending more money down the drain.
    09-22-10 07:59 PM
    I use about 100mb of my 500mb plan a month. And my carier supports tethering. hm...
    09-22-10 09:33 PM
    I don't see why you'd want another 3G bill every month. The 3G on my BlackBerry right now barely gets used because I spend the majority of my life in reach of wifi. If this thing were to require 3g on contract I wouldn't even consider buying one. I already pay $60 a month for 3G between two BlackBerry smartphones. No way would I pay for another 3G connection. I already have enough monthly bills going to technology.

I think the tethering is going to be a selling point to a lot of people. Hopefully it can tether to other platforms. Like say one guy has a droid but he wants a RIM tablet. It would be nice for that guy to be able to tether it to his android device. That way anyone would be able to make full use out of this thing instead of just BlackBerry users being able too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-10 08:23 AM
    I think the interesting question will be if carriers such as VZW will change their TOS to allow tethering. Granted, they may not check usage closely enough to care, but currently tethering is against their TOS.
    09-23-10 09:19 AM
    No carrier in the US mandates contracts for service. Sounds like you're just cheap.
    09-28-10 02:35 AM
    3G isn't a big concern of mine as long as the tethering is good enough so I'm picking up the wifi one when it hits stores with no thought as to waiting for a 3G/4G version. I have enough things to pay for already without a second data plan.
    09-28-10 02:51 AM
    3G isn't a big concern of mine as long as the tethering is good enough so I'm picking up the wifi one when it hits stores with no thought as to waiting for a 3G/4G version. I have enough things to pay for already without a second data plan.
    Well said and I'm with ya all the way to the ballpark and my "playbook" is in full swing.

Thnx, Tripster

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 04:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD