What does all that mean? From the ads, I can tell I should crave 4G, and should be satisfied with nothing less than 3G.

I use a Blackberry Tour on Sprint in Houston, Texas. I figure its a big enough city that we ought to be in at least a 3G area, if not a 5G or 6G spot. How do I know what level of G I should be getting?

But my Tour just displays 1XEV, just as my old 8830 did. The little book that came with it shows that if I should ever be so lucky as to be in a 3G place, it will tell me that. Should I be calling Sprint and demanding my money back? Does it matter? The phone seems to do all the cool stuff it is supposed to do, except let me contact the Enterprise for beaming. If I ever saw the magical "3G" appear on the phone, would everything get brighter, and would I hear angels?
    01-15-10 03:48 PM
    1XEV = 3G for Verizon/Sprint

From patches from old topic of mine

1XEV = full voice and data connection (3G data essentially), and RIM connection

1X = 2G connection (voice network only, will run data at dialup speed basically), RIM connection

1xev = full 3G coverage voice/data, but no RIM connection

1x = full 2G connection, data ran on voice network, dialup speeds, no RIM connection
    Last edited by jlouang; 01-15-10 at 04:09 PM.
    01-15-10 04:00 PM
    I use a Blackberry Tour on Sprint in Houston, Texas. I figure its a big enough city that we ought to be in at least a 3G area, if not a 5G or 6G spot. How do I know what level of G I should be getting?
    I hope you are 100% kidding about 5G and 6G... most places don't even have 4G towers or radios in place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 04:32 PM
    5G or 6G was a joke. I even put the smiley.

Thanks for the info.
    01-15-10 04:38 PM
    1XEV = 3G for Verizon/Sprint

From patches from old topic of mine

1XEV = full voice and data connection (3G data essentially), and RIM connection

1X = 2G connection (voice network only, will run data at dialup speed basically), RIM connection

1xev = full 3G coverage voice/data, but no RIM connection

1x = full 2G connection, data ran on voice network, dialup speeds, no RIM connection
    Wow! I never knew there were so many different categories.
    01-16-10 01:19 AM
    I think if you update your OS to a newer "leaked" OS the EV gets replaced with 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 03:30 AM
    Yes, 5.0 says 3G not 1XEV. Same darn thing. Since no one really answered the OP question about 3G; 3G just basically means 3rd generation of telecom hardware standards and tech. for mobile networking. That's all. People think 3G is some magic force or something; it's just the generation of tech that's in use mostly on the network side of things. Anyone else care to add, please do.
    01-16-10 05:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD