So my sources at RadioShack and AT&T have informed me that AT&T will be doubling their 3G speed soon. Google tells me that this has been in the works for a few months, and an increase to a possible 7.something mbps down was slated for late 2009. But since all the data goes through a BB server, and the bb browser isn't all that great, will the increase in 3G speed have any noticeable effect on my Bold? Or is this just a win for the iPhone community?
    08-03-09 05:13 PM
    LOLLL AT&T can hardly keep up with the iPhone and now they are thinking about going 7MBPS loll
    08-03-09 06:27 PM
    It's theoretical download speed, so 7.2mb hsdpa is not likely going to make a huge difference on any 7.2 capable phones.

What will make a difference is more of a switchover to 850mhz, which is more reliable.

Also, even if the BB browser rendering isn't very fast, network connection plays into a lot more than just active browsing (and you aren't restricted to the BB browser).
    Last edited by papped; 08-03-09 at 06:46 PM.
    08-03-09 06:29 PM
    LOLLL AT&T can hardly keep up with the iPhone and now they are thinking about going 7MBPS loll
    AT&T is great in my area. No complaints at all. I am looking forward to the speed increase on my iPhone.
    08-03-09 06:36 PM
    AT&T is great in my area. No complaints at all. I am looking forward to the speed increase on my iPhone.
    Awesome. But for some people, they hate AT&T and their coverage.
    08-03-09 06:38 PM
    Awesome. But for some people, they hate AT&T and their coverage.
    That goes for every carrier. Not just AT&T.
    08-03-09 06:40 PM
    You will see a slight speed increase on your Bold if they ever get this project finished. Ultimately they are trying raise the overall usage speed now that the Iphone users have clogged the up/down speeds with their usage. everyone will see a speed increase the question just is how much of an increase.
    08-03-09 09:24 PM
    Yeah, it's been talked about(increasing network speed/upgrading) prior to last summer.
    08-03-09 09:38 PM
    Bold is only capable of up to 3.6Mbps (chipset limited).
    so you wouldn't see anything change.
    08-03-09 09:45 PM
    You will more than like see an increase in speed, whether it's noticeable remains to be seen (at the moment). The max is 3.6Mbps, but the Bold doesn't come close to hitting that, but when 7.2 rolls out, your Bold will get some of that benefit... once again, it may not even be noticeable or it may very well be noticeable.
    08-03-09 09:51 PM
    But you're in Canada... My service is excellent, definitely better than Verizon for me and a heck of a lot better (by more than a mile) than T-Mobile and Sprint.
    08-03-09 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD