Now that I have the .297 update and can turn off 3G, I have noticed that my battery life has increased a lot. Also, 2G isn't that slow. With a wifi enabled phone, 3G seems to be overrated. I do have to say though that I have wifi access at work and at home. So I rarely have to rely on 3G for data. I wondered for a long time why RIM still produced non 3G devices. Now I know. It really isn't necessary if you take advantage of the wifi connection. Anyone else believe 3G is overrated on wifi devices? By the way, I haven't turned on 3G since I downloaded the update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 05:52 PM
    You are not alone in this feeling. Some folks prefer the 8900 over the bold, because of the extra memory, better camera and form factor, and they don't miss the lack of 3G.
    08-26-09 06:02 PM
    That was certainly what motivated me to get the 8900 over the bold!!!

08-26-09 06:05 PM
    I don't think 3G is overrated at all. If your 3G is barely faster then your 2G, perhaps the 3G coverage where you are at is weak.

I had a similar mindset on 3G before I switched to Verizon. My 3G speeds now are more consistent and quicker now, compared to my experience with AT&T.
    08-26-09 06:06 PM
    For us non-wifi users, 3G is pretty nice, lol.

08-26-09 06:08 PM
    For us non-wifi users, 3G is pretty nice, lol.

Very true. I do miss wifi while I am at home, but when I'm out I don't miss it at all.
    08-26-09 06:09 PM
    For me I don't do heavy browsing, it's all about communications so non-3G is where it's at for me. I love the extended battery life.
    08-26-09 06:35 PM
    For me it is not even a comparison of 2G vs. 3G, it is a huge difference. I have wifi at home but I don't use it, I use my computer. I work on the road so wifi there is pretty much non-exhistint except for a couple doctors offices and the BK that have open wifi. It is nice to have phone with and without 3G if the price is right for those that don't need it. But it is certainly not overrated.
    08-26-09 06:43 PM
    For me it is not even a comparison of 2G vs. 3G, it is a huge difference. I have wifi at home but I don't use it, I use my computer. I work on the road so wifi there is pretty much non-exhistint except for a couple doctors offices and the BK that have open wifi. It is nice to have phone with and without 3G if the price is right for those that don't need it. But it is certainly not overrated.
    Don't get me wrong, having 3G is very convenient, but I have unlimited wifi access 90 percent of my day. Wifi is faster than 3G, so I rarely benifit from 3G anymore. I would definitely not take the 8900 over my Bold, but I will say that out of all of the BBs available, the 8900 is closest to the Bold because of its wifi ability - not the Tour. This is just my opnion, I would take wifi over 3G any day. 3G is nice, but if you have wifi, you may not miss it.

08-26-09 07:19 PM
    Don't get me wrong, having 3G is very convenient, but I have unlimited wifi access 90 percent of my day. Wifi is faster than 3G, so I rarely benifit from 3G anymore. I would definitely not take the 8900 over my Bold, but I will say that out of all of the BBs available, the 8900 is closest to the Bold because of its wifi ability - not the Tour. This is just my opnion, I would take wifi over 3G any day. 3G is nice, but if you have wifi, you may not miss it.

Wi-Fi comes into its own with UMA as far as I'm concerned. I work in a building that is basically a concrete and steel bunker, no cell signals hardly at all but we do have Wi-Fi. So the Curve is the perfect choice for me, long battery life and the ability to use the phone at work.

But in the end it's up to what the individual user wants of course.
    08-26-09 07:23 PM
    I don't think 3G is overrated at all. If your 3G is barely faster then your 2G, perhaps the 3G coverage where you are at is weak.

I had a similar mindset on 3G before I switched to Verizon. My 3G speeds now are more consistent and quicker now, compared to my experience with AT&T.
    I had Verizon. I had switched from Sprint to them about a year ago. I was very disappointed. It could have been the coverage in my area, but the Sprint speed blew Verizon out of the water. Now that I am with ATT, my 3G is fater than Sprint's. So my civerage area is fine, but wifi will always be faster. Just about every place I go to around my house has wifi. I never have to use the 3G. I would rather save on battery life.

08-26-09 07:23 PM
    ive been saying this for months since i unbranded my bold. i see no need for 3G, as the speeds arent crazy fast, not much better that EDGE on a real life basis. plus, like stated, the better battery life outweighs the need for 3G. and i do prefer my 8900 over my Bold for all the same reasons stated above.
    08-26-09 07:48 PM
    There's definitely a significant difference between 3G+HSDPA/HSUPA and Edge...

Obviously if you prioritize battery life, then you probably don't prioritize the higher connection speed..
    08-26-09 07:51 PM
    Now that I have the .297 update and can turn off 3G, I have noticed that my battery life has increased a lot. Also, 2G isn't that slow. With a wifi enabled phone, 3G seems to be overrated. I do have to say though that I have wifi access at work and at home. So I rarely have to rely on 3G for data. I wondered for a long time why RIM still produced non 3G devices. Now I know. It really isn't necessary if you take advantage of the wifi connection. Anyone else believe 3G is overrated on wifi devices? By the way, I haven't turned on 3G since I downloaded the update.

I came to the same conclusion. used my bold on edge only for a while and then got rid of it all together for an 8900. I don't use wifi too much either though, since my carrier doesn't offer UMA. for what I use my BB for the edge speed is just fine.
    08-26-09 08:00 PM
    Maybe the cost of my 3G service(s) will come down (as a result of the decreased load on the network) when more and more users discover that they don't "need" 3G, defect, or, at the very least, lessen their use of the service. :P

08-26-09 08:19 PM
    oops, wrong thread
    08-26-09 08:27 PM
    But I can send emails and use data while on phonecalls when on 3G.
    08-26-09 08:45 PM
    But I can send emails and use data while on phonecalls when on 3G.
    So can WiFi

But I've always said 3G is great to have but never will be a deal breaker for me.
    08-26-09 10:35 PM
    This is what motivated me towards the 8900 vs. the 9000. I just moved from the iPhone 3G to the 8900, and in all reality, the difference between EDGE and 3G isn't that bad.

The extra battery life is great, too.
    08-26-09 10:41 PM
    Is there really a big difference between 3G and EDGE? I'm deciding between a 8900 and a Tour 9630. I am leaning towards the Tour just for 3G but if there is not much difference then I would get the 8900. I don't care for WiFi. There are not too many WiFi Spts where I live.
    08-26-09 10:56 PM
    Is there really a big difference between 3G and EDGE? I'm deciding between a 8900 and a Tour 9630. I am leaning towards the Tour just for 3G but if there is not much difference then I would get the 8900. I don't care for WiFi. There are not too many WiFi Spts where I live.
    It depends on what carrier offers the best service for you. If Verizon does, go with the Tour. If AT&T or Tmobile does, then go with the 8900.

08-26-09 11:16 PM
    too many damn iphones
    08-27-09 01:58 AM
    I have EDGE and UMA on the 8900 and its sweet! My speeds are the same as when I had my iphone 3G to me! I also love that when I am in an area that has little or no signal I can hop on a wifi network and use my phone. I had to do that this past weeked!

08-27-09 04:31 AM
    Just saying, if I'm not fixed somewhere there is wifi.

So can WiFi

But I've always said 3G is great to have but never will be a deal breaker for me.
    08-27-09 10:46 AM
    I have no experience with other data connections than 3G, but the Tour on VZW is blazing fast. With Opera Mini, I destroyed an iPhone loading up CrackBerry. Both were in a high signal area.

WOOT! 800th post!
    Last edited by Dr.Sadistic; 08-27-09 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Just realized this was my 800th post.
    08-27-09 11:12 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD