It's hard with all the excitement of the new Blackberries to not whip out my credit card and start ordering away. However, I'm the kind of guy who needs to have device in hand. I like to feel the weight, try the hardware and get a really good sense of a device before I take the plunge.

Currently I'm with Verizon and have been very happy with my trusty Storm 2 (yes, I'm one of the lucky few that actually have a solid device ). As I stated in another thread, I manage two guitar shops and my S2 has been very indespensable organizing and managing my business. Now, that's not to say that I have not been following the new lines that RIM has released. On the contrary, Last year I test drove a Torch for a month and thought it was a really nice device. Two things made me return it. 1 was the processor, I felt that waiting for the Torch 2 would be better. 2, I really did not like how the call-end panel was just glued on and looked as though it would fall off at any given time.

Today, I am looking at all three of RIM's offerings. Carrier is not to much of an issue. My wife's iphone 3gs is on ATT and she has not experienced any issue. She states that sometimes she gets better reception then when she was with Verizon (that's another story though). So I can go to either carrier.

Call quality, calendar w/agenda, memo and task list, texting & email are my number one priorities. Social app (work related), Camera and Video are a big second. Useful apps are a strong third i.e mobile banking, pageonce, poynt, ebay, docs to go, ups etc. Web browsing is not a priority, but would be nice for the few times I use it to be fast. Music is my only lesuire, so the included music player has been fine for me.

Bold - Pros
    Overall great, On both carriers. Best keyboard w/touch screen, 720p.
    cons- no auto focus (is it a deal breaker?)

Torch 50/60 - Pros
    Larger screen, auto focus camera and 720p video.
    Cons - All touch (accelerometers can be a pain sometimes)

Torch 9810 - Pros
    overall improvement from 9800, Options with Keyboard and touch, auto focus and 720p.
    cons - same design (same flaws). I wish that RIM took the time to refine the front panel like they did with the Storm 2 from the original Storm. It really made a huge difference.

So, can anyone give me some advice on which device would best serve my needs on a musical business level? Thanks

RIM - Still waiting on a decent guitar tuner.
    08-15-11 01:29 PM

RIM - Still waiting on a decent guitar tuner.
    why are you waiting on RIM for a guitar tuner?
    my local music shop has about 20 different models.
    I think think RIM will ever make a guitar tuner.

oh... you want an app... learn to code or find a dev for it
    08-15-11 01:33 PM
    why are you waiting on RIM for a guitar tuner?
    my local music shop has about 20 different models.
    I think think RIM will ever make a guitar tuner.

oh... you want an app... learn to code or find a dev for it
    I have tuners, but in my business, they tend to walk away when I'm with a customer. Sometimes I go to other guitar shops and the staff are nowhere to be be found. Finally, if people can ***** about Angry birds, then I can ***** about a tuner. Thanks for the help.
    08-15-11 01:43 PM
    For me it would have to be the Bold but that's because I prefer the design/layout over the other two. Not a fan of slide phones and still not a fan of full touch devices

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    08-15-11 02:02 PM
    personally im going for the Touch 9850... if/when Bell buys them. if not them im stuck with my 9550 and am never going to be able to see the new devices :'(
    08-15-11 03:59 PM
    I'm gonna go with the bold just because I'm a huge fan of qwerty keyboard blackberries *shrug*, and the bolds specs are amazing despite no auto-focus

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 08:42 PM
    My bold 9930 will be here tomorrow. :-D

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 08:51 PM
    I would go with the Bold, mainly because the pros of all the devices are relatively the same but the only con of the Bold is that it doesn't have auto-focus. I don't think that's really a deal breaker unless you're going to be taking a lot of pics/videos. In which case I would go with the 9810 since I hate all-touch phones.

But ultimately it is up to you. Just think long and hard about which one seems like the most logical decision. Definitely spend a lot of time in the store playing around with 'em and seeing which one works the best for you.

Good luck man!
    08-16-11 11:37 AM
    I would go with the Bold, mainly because the pros of all the devices are relatively the same but the only con of the Bold is that it doesn't have auto-focus. I don't think that's really a deal breaker unless you're going to be taking a lot of pics/videos. In which case I would go with the 9810 since I hate all-touch phones.

But ultimately it is up to you. Just think long and hard about which one seems like the most logical decision. Definitely spend a lot of time in the store playing around with 'em and seeing which one works the best for you.

Good luck man!
    In my line of work it is handy having a good camera and video. Sometimes I don't have access to my main (real) devices. For example, a few weeks ago I was invited to a Queenryche concert at the last moment and all I had was my Storm 2. Well, the photos and video were less than stellar. Other times I'll be at my other shop and a guitar may come in for consignment. Photos may need to be taken and sent to my boss. He may need to see finer detail. In this regard, my S2's auto focus is very handy.

I am waiting patiently until both Bold and Torch 2 are out so I can really compare them. Honestly, a Droid would probably be better for my purposes, but I reall don't like their devices and I am not a fan of the OS. As for the iphone, Meh! Blackberry for the most part is the best platform for my general purposes.

Thanks for the responses folks. It's gonna be fun next week.
    08-17-11 07:29 AM
    I'm one of the lucky few that actually have a solid device.
    Since the 9550 OS is a pile of hash, I'd say you just have a high tolerance and put up with a lot.
    08-17-11 07:44 AM
    If all touch and no physical keyboard is really a con, then rule out the 9850/60. If having the best possible physical keyboard is more important than anything else, go for the Bold. If having a larger screen (while still having a decent physical keyboard) is more important, go for the 9810. The downside to the Bold, however, is not just the lack of an auto focus camera, but the obvious of a small screen. The downside to the Torch is that the keyboard is relatively cramped compared to the Bold and the device is a little chunky.

I personally have more or less decided on the 9810 since I've grown accustomed to having the larger screen (one that I can rotate to portrait or landscape), and I can put up with the smaller keyboard and device chunkiness.
    08-17-11 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD