lets cut it short......the primary reason would be that despite the wonderful apps, BB is still the best!
    01-04-12 06:40 AM
    Now where did anyone trash the OP for not wanting an iPhone?

And there's not going to be an OS8 or 9. Not a chance.
    Its all over the thread. I'm not about to go thru every post and quote the comments.
    I didn't say that os8 or 9 was coming. I said I'm looking for it. I remember people saying os10 was coming after 6 also. If rim is still haveing issjes with os7 and bricking devices watch for os8. Then I see a wade if you will into os10 with os9. But that's my opinion. We'll see won't we?
    01-04-12 09:58 AM
    lets cut it short......the primary reason would be that despite the wonderful apps, BB is still the best!
    Oh snap! With logic like that, we should just close the thread. Case closed!
    01-04-12 10:41 AM
    Can we try not to get my thread shut down? LOL.
    Yea. I'm sorry. I hope it stays open I think you have a valued point.
    01-04-12 11:13 AM
    I am not using this feature, but with iOS5, you can set different ringtones for different contacts, or assign different vibration pattern for different contacts. On the vibration pattern, in addition to preset patterns, you can actually create any patterns you want and assign it to your contact (use General>Accessibility and in the hearing section, turn "custom vibration" on.
    Then, go to whatever contact you choose, and pick or create your own vibration pattern you like.
    That feature is nice, but it does not compare to BB's profile system. That is something where the BB rules all platforms, including Android. There are some apps you can put on the other systems to get close, but I still think the way BB's work in this regard is top notch.
    01-04-12 11:20 AM
    That feature is nice, but it does not compare to BB's profile system. That is something where the BB rules all platforms, including Android. There are some apps you can put on the other systems to get close, but I still think the way BB's work in this regard is top notch.
    Oh, I agree. I never meant my post as a challenge to the BB way of notification. I was only reacting to the post that said there is no way to assign individual notification alert to each contact in iPhone, which was not quite true. I agree that a simple LED alert presently used by BB is quite effective (I like it too). In fact, as you can see, particularly the custom "vibration" setting of iPhone is a compromise, utilizing the method actually intended for the hearing impaired.

It is probably easy for Apple to implement an LED alert but as I understand it, the reason why they have been resisting to it so far (together with things like true multi-tasking) is because they would not allow anything that lurks behind the scene in order to minimize "what they think" is the waste/drain of battery. BTW, this is the reason why they do not allow app developers to post any kind of call filtering apps.
    But as the chip/battery/power management technologies being improved, it appears Apple have been gradually loosening this requirement. And at some point, they cannot resist the pressure from the market, I suppose. iPhone 5 is said to have a BB style LED notification.
    But when RIM started upgrading CPU spec (clock speed etc) and screen resolution, they too will eventually face the battery problem (as every device maker more or less uses the same chip/battery technology). I see the LED of 9790 appears to be smaller and weaker than the 9780's (which is quite fine though). RIM too might be conscious of battery usage of LED, now that the power requirement for the OS 7 devices have increased.

I wish RIM did not get dragged into a mindless temptation of "mine is thinner than yours" and kept 1500maH battery and auto-focus camera etc. I have a 9790 now and a 9780 before that. I was very comfortable with how the 9780 so nicely fit into my palm. I did not mind it's thickness at all.
    Anyway...
    Last edited by xanadome; 01-04-12 at 02:54 PM.
    01-04-12 01:06 PM
    The only reason I prefer iPhone over BB is the seemless integration of iTunes music, other than that, BB all the way! Best keyboard on the market and the new Bold has a super slick touchscreen.
    01-04-12 02:35 PM
    I didn't say that os8 or 9 was coming. I said I'm looking for it. I remember people saying os10 was coming after 6 also. If rim is still haveing issjes with os7 and bricking devices watch for os8. Then I see a wade if you will into os10 with os9. But that's my opinion. We'll see won't we?
    There wont be another version to come out before OS10 because if that were to happen, Wall Street will crap harder on RIM more than it ever has before. At that point, RIM will be a goner.
    01-04-12 02:39 PM
    There wont be another version to come out before OS10 because if that were to happen, Wall Street will crap harder on RIM more than it ever has before. At that point, RIM will be a goner.
    Why? So far we already have os7.1 and what 8-9 months before maybe the new devices come out. That's a lot of time. Like I said we'll see.
    What does seamless itunes music really mean? When I play music on my blackberry its seamless.
    01-04-12 04:08 PM
    Why? So far we already have os7.1 and what 8-9 months before maybe the new devices come out. That's a lot of time. Like I said we'll see.
    What does seamless itunes music really mean? When I play music on my blackberry its seamless.
    RIM said BB10 is next. BB10 is the future. If OS 8 or OS 9 were to exist, there would be a crazy amount of fragmentation. That is a developer nightmare. RIM already said they are looking to make things better for developers, this is part of what BB10 is.

RIM producing 3 new OSs in a year (OS8*, OS9* and BB10) is a pretty farfetched. It has taken them close to the same time to release certain native functions to the PB, you really think they can push out two more major revisions of BBOS? What about OS5-7? That took them years.

RIM needs to be putting the majority of their effort into BB10 right now and they know this.

I don't know what seamless iTunes music means. Maybe the easy syncing? No clue. I never made the claim.
    01-04-12 05:07 PM
    Was'nt the naming of OS 10 the product of "accident"?
    It was BBX, then an Indian company or somebody sued RIM for the trademark infringement (pretty lame for RIM though). and RIM was forced to abandon the naming.
    When they did, they cleverly converted X to mean a Roman number 10. They never intended to mean as if there would be 8 & 9 in-between.

In any case, it does not make any sense that RIM would come up with 8 & 9 when everybody knows that OS 10 is coming.

However, if you are talking about the hardware upgrade/improvement, I do agree that RIM could make some minor changes or upgrade to the current 9900, such as better (higher capacity) battery or an AF camera, even if it might mean somewhat thicker body. The present back of 9900 with the battery part protruding looks rather ugly to me.

But I don't think the OS in terms of UI would change. In fact, I believe even the OS 10 would essentially be the same as the OS7 just as OS 5 or 6 were the same user interface, except some hardware acceleration, use of different browser engine etc (which were good) and minor tweaks.
    01-04-12 05:21 PM
    There are way more than 3 reasons I won't leave my iPhone.

The three reasons in OP are very poor but I must admit I thought the same thing at one time.

The flashing LED is not a problem for me. If something is that critical in my line of work they better call. For others I understand the need for it. For most people though, email is not mission critical and you will fInd yourself freed from the chains of that little blinking red light.

I feel more at ease to be honest and have simply checked email a couple of times a day or when I notice the mail app has an email in it. I do get push email and there is a little number in a red circle near the mail app to tell you, so it is good. I also feel more productive. I used to drop everything I was doing to check that little flashing LED and now I feel there is no obligation to. I would have never turned my LED off because I was so used to it. Now there is no option for it, I am glad I don't have one. If I ever went back to BB I would definitely turn off that feature.

The typing is fine on an iPhone. I am just as fast on my iPhone as I am on a BB. I believe the iPhone's ability to recognize voice and insert it into areas of text for you though is the best. I dictate reports, emails, texts, posts, reminders, etc. my productivity has again increased. My thumbs aren't sore either.

BBM? Seriously? Whatever floats your boat. All my friends and colleagues moved to iPhone, so this wouldn't be an issue for me.

iTunes? The iPhone 4S with iOS 5 does not require iTunes sync. You can use all iOS devices as stand alone devices with wireless iCloud sync if you want now. I, however did not like iTunes either at first. Now I love it. It is a great way to get movies and songs to sync with the device. I also like iPhoto. All my photos sync perfectly and I can buy them right there cheaper than shutterfly.

Multiple email attachments? I thought this was a big deal, but in the 6-8 weeks I have had my iPhone I have not noticed a need to attach multiple email attachments. If so, I would just say they would be forthcoming over a couple of emails. Since most people I know have iPhones it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The ability to FaceTime, create appointments/texts/emails and more with Siri, edit documents better, give keynote presentations from my device, stream music/movies to my TV and stereo, create movies, take great pictures/video and edit them, go online with a great browser, get better looking non-truncated email, and download tons of apps have made my iPhone a remarkable BB killer. There is no way I would go back at this time.

RIM has a lot of catching up to do, but I don't think they have the time to do so. I do,however, hope they succeed because competition is good for all of us.
    What are the quality of the mp3's from itunes? Can you "upgrade" them? That's all I want to know.
    01-04-12 06:10 PM
    What are the quality of the mp3's from itunes? Can you "upgrade" them? That's all I want to know.
    The music is good sounding, and DRM free.
    I don't know what you're talking about upgrading though.
    I bought music back when it was DRM locked but you can upgrade to DRM/higher quality for 30 cents a song.
    01-04-12 06:20 PM
    The music is good sounding, and DRM free.
    I don't know what you're talking about upgrading though.
    I bought music back when it was DRM locked but you can upgrade to DRM/higher quality for 30 cents a song.
    Right......wow! Consumers are getting thoroughly screwed with the quality of sound now. It used to be an art form and now...here's a quote:
    This is a joke. A 256 kbps encoded lossy file can not and will never sound amazing. Apple is merely taking advantage of the general public's lack of knowledge and understanding of what these files actually are to make them think that this is a big deal. It's nothing.To say that this is a big step up is like falling down a 100 foot hole in the ground and then saying it is amazing to have managed to climb 6 inches towards the top.

Long ago, everything was recorded to analog tape. Done right with good gear this was and still is the best sound you can get. When those recordings were mastered for and transferred to vinyl or cassette there was always a significant loss of quality. If this was done right though one still had a very listenable (as in enjoyable) product. Many people once listened to pre-recorded open reel tapes as well which was even better. CDs were the first major backwards step in audio quality that the industry ever undertook-until then the idea had been to keep improving fidelity see? Many fine engineers had the pain of hearing their good analog work utterly destroyed by the time it went to CD. They were and still are a far cry from a good analog master to say the least. And now...the industry has fully embraced lossy and so-called lossles encoded files made at pathetic bit rates as the new standard. What I am trying to say is that we have hit rock bottom sonically. Higher bit rate from Itunes? Fine. Amazing? Don't
    insult me. At the very very least if I were to ever pay a dollar to download a song ( I do buy my music legally-just never at Itunes or for a dollar a song) then give me the 44.1khz 16 bit .wav file. Or the 96 khz 24 bit .wav file if that's how it came out of the studio. Consider this-a dollar a tune is about what a CD costs-why would you accept a mediocre facsimile of that for the same price? Apple should be taken to task for trying to dumb down it's consumers and heralding this as some kind of advancement-at best it's a baby step out of the dark ages of recorded audio, and a very tiny one at that.
    01-04-12 06:27 PM
    Right......wow! Consumers are getting thoroughly screwed with the quality of sound now. It used to be an art form and now...here's a quote:
    This is a joke. A 256 kbps encoded lossy file can not and will never sound amazing. Apple is merely taking advantage of the general public's lack of knowledge and understanding of what these files actually are to make them think that this is a big deal. It's nothing.To say that this is a big step up is like falling down a 100 foot hole in the ground and then saying it is amazing to have managed to climb 6 inches towards the top.

Long ago, everything was recorded to analog tape. Done right with good gear this was and still is the best sound you can get. When those recordings were mastered for and transferred to vinyl or cassette there was always a significant loss of quality. If this was done right though one still had a very listenable (as in enjoyable) product. Many people once listened to pre-recorded open reel tapes as well which was even better. CDs were the first major backwards step in audio quality that the industry ever undertook-until then the idea had been to keep improving fidelity see? Many fine engineers had the pain of hearing their good analog work utterly destroyed by the time it went to CD. They were and still are a far cry from a good analog master to say the least. And now...the industry has fully embraced lossy and so-called lossles encoded files made at pathetic bit rates as the new standard. What I am trying to say is that we have hit rock bottom sonically. Higher bit rate from Itunes? Fine. Amazing? Don't
    insult me. At the very very least if I were to ever pay a dollar to download a song ( I do buy my music legally-just never at Itunes or for a dollar a song) then give me the 44.1khz 16 bit .wav file. Or the 96 khz 24 bit .wav file if that's how it came out of the studio. Consider this-a dollar a tune is about what a CD costs-why would you accept a mediocre facsimile of that for the same price? Apple should be taken to task for trying to dumb down it's consumers and heralding this as some kind of advancement-at best it's a baby step out of the dark ages of recorded audio, and a very tiny one at that.
    I honestly have no knowledge about media files. Sounds good to me though! LOL.
    $1.29 a song does add up though, and it probably would be cheaper to go buy the album and import it into iTunes.
    But going to the store is too much nowadays.
    melb_me likes this.
    01-04-12 06:32 PM
    RIM said BB10 is next. BB10 is the future. If OS 8 or OS 9 were to exist, there would be a crazy amount of fragmentation. That is a developer nightmare. RIM already said they are looking to make things better for developers, this is part of what BB10 is.

RIM producing 3 new OSs in a year (OS8*, OS9* and BB10) is a pretty farfetched. It has taken them close to the same time to release certain native functions to the PB, you really think they can push out two more major revisions of BBOS? What about OS5-7? That took them years.

RIM needs to be putting the majority of their effort into BB10 right now and they know this.

I don't know what seamless iTunes music means. Maybe the easy syncing? No clue. I never made the claim.
    I wasng asking you about the itunes. Somebody else made the statement.
    Well os10 has been in the sorks for what now 2.5 years? So it wont count. Have you used and os6 and os7 device. They look a whole lot alike. There's some differences that really just add up to upgrades. Why isn't there an os7.1 for everything yet? What's easier call it os7.2-7.x Or os8? Do you think that what was released as os7 was their only idea for the os?
    01-04-12 06:56 PM
    I wasng asking you about the itunes. Somebody else made the statement.
    Well os10 has been in the sorks for what now 2.5 years? So it wont count. Have you used and os6 and os7 device. They look a whole lot alike. There's some differences that really just add up to upgrades. Why isn't there an os7.1 for everything yet? What's easier call it os7.2-7.x Or os8? Do you think that what was released as os7 was their only idea for the os?
    It easily could have been their only idea for the OS until BB10. The OS6 and 7 devices look so much alike because OS7 was originally to be called OS6.1, but due to the increased hardware requirements it became to big for that name.

From a marketing perspective, they're going to want to make BB10 look like a huge jump from BB7. If they were to release an OS8 and 9 that had features similar to OS10 then it could cause people to hesitate from upgrading.
    01-04-12 09:41 PM
    Was'nt the naming of OS 10 the product of "accident"?
    It was BBX, then an Indian company or somebody sued RIM for the trademark infringement (pretty lame for RIM though). and RIM was forced to abandon the naming.
    When they did, they cleverly converted X to mean a Roman number 10. They never intended to mean as if there would be 8 & 9 in-between.

In any case, it does not make any sense that RIM would come up with 8 & 9 when everybody knows that OS 10 is coming.

However, if you are talking about the hardware upgrade/improvement, I do agree that RIM could make some minor changes or upgrade to the current 9900, such as better (higher capacity) battery or an AF camera, even if it might mean somewhat thicker body. The present back of 9900 with the battery part protruding looks rather ugly to me.

But I don't think the OS in terms of UI would change. In fact, I believe even the OS 10 would essentially be the same as the OS7 just as OS 5 or 6 were the same user interface, except some hardware acceleration, use of different browser engine etc (which were good) and minor tweaks.
    I really dont know how BB10 got started. First I heard was qnx then bbx then bb10 then os7 came out. I'm not saying os7 wasn't suppose to be in the line up just saying that os10 has been an object for some time.
    There isn't anything the same between os5 and os6.
    Tmelon, that's pretty much what I'm saying. There's already an os 7.1. I think os8 will take it over. If the bricking issue isn't over with its going to have to. 6.1 was out or was leaked. I never got ahold of it. Then there's os7. Featuring what I heard they where talking about for os6.1. I don't see Rim switching out bricks until they release bb10 devices. Makes more sense to me that the code fix of 7.1 is called os8 just like os6.1 became os7.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-12 01:38 AM
    Lol, show me how you access your files and how you upload more files to it, not the webpage, that means nothing.

Can you download your documents/music/videos and upload more back?

Edit- So I'm guessing by now you have worked out that you actually can't and the "myth" is in fact real.
    LOL that was a good response.
    01-15-12 10:51 PM
    I honestly have no knowledge about media files. Sounds good to me though! LOL.
    $1.29 a song does add up though, and it probably would be cheaper to go buy the album and import it into iTunes.
    But going to the store is too much nowadays.
    I will never buy a song again, I rather pay �5 a month and have access to more music then I will ever want in BBM Music. I have over 6000 songs available at any time and it's constantly changing, it never becomes boring.

As the song goes, every day I'm shuffling! lol
    01-16-12 02:57 AM
    Lol, show me how you access your files and how you upload more files to it, not the webpage, that means nothing.

Can you download your documents/music/videos and upload more back?

Edit- So I'm guessing by now you have worked out that you actually can't and the "myth" is in fact real.
    Myth? With the Dropbox app you can do whatever you like. If you prefer to use a painfully slow blackberry browser to access Dropbox be my guest. I'll wager that you normally use the app tho, rather than navigate to and around the site for half an hour, which is just how slow the blackberry browser is.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Caymancroc likes this.
    01-16-12 06:38 AM
    A lot of bickering for someone just posting why they like their blackberry. You guys are arguing over apples and oranges, its all fruit in the end.
    01-16-12 06:49 AM
    Myth? With the Dropbox app you can do whatever you like. If you prefer to use a painfully slow blackberry browser to access Dropbox be my guest. I'll wager that you normally use the app tho, rather than navigate to and around the site for half an hour, which is just how slow the blackberry browser is.

The "myth" was that iphone can't download and upload mp3, videos, some files etc trough the browser so it needs an app to do it.

For example I can download a podcast directly from the website, when you try it, it directs you to the podcast app and you subscribe to it and then it downloads it.

The guy thought he busted the myth and his iphone can do all that in the browser, well he can't. Feel free to try it.

Sure doing things trough apps is better sometimes but the point is you are forced to use apps otherwise you can't finish the task.

I just deleted the facebook app, I find the HTML5 touch.facebook.com a lot better then the app, especially with using bookmarks and tabs. And guess what, I can upload photos and videos to my profile, you can't(in the browser).

Myth is still real.
    01-16-12 07:00 AM
    Sure doing things trough apps is better sometimes but the point is you are forced to use apps otherwise you can't finish the task.
    I agree, it's better an faster so browser uploads don't really matter to me. They didn't matter to me on the blackberry either, I just used the Dropbox, Evernote etc apps. Even on my desktop I use the apps. It's just faster.

I'm still not sure what the myth is? Is it that the iOS browser can do these things? We all know that it can't.

01-16-12 07:07 AM
    I agree, it's better an faster so browser uploads don't really matter to me. They didn't matter to me on the blackberry either, I just used the Dropbox, Evernote etc apps. Even on my desktop I use the apps. It's just faster.

I'm still not sure what the myth is? Is it that the iOS browser can do these things? We all know that it can't.

Well the guy I responded to in the first place didn't know that and called it a myth that the iphone can't.

In certain cases using the browser is faster, for example I can have 20 tabs open with facebook contacts, messages conversations, walls etc, the app only allows you to do one at the time. I can also have bookmarks that take me straight to certain parts of facebook, like Blackberry UK Facebook page, with the app you have to go trough contacts adding quite a few steps.

Also you don't have to go back and forth, you just open a new tab then close it, it's much faster then to retrace your steps in the app.

Just an example.
    01-16-12 07:15 AM
154 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD