Full article here: Forbes - 3 Reasons I Won't Leave My BlackBerry For An iPhone

1. Red Indicator Light: I’ve noticed that the iPhone doesn’t have that tiny flashing light to indicate that you’ve got an unread message, text, e-mail, etc. I know a little message pops up on your super, vibrant screen when you first get a message but I’m pretty sure that pop-up goes away after a few seconds in which case the only way you’ll know you have a message after that is by actively checking for yourself. Not the case with my BlackBerry. Say I’ve left my phone on my desk for the last hour. My little red light will tell me there’s something new waiting for me without having to look for myself. Sounds simple which makes me wonder why the there isn’t one on the iPhone.
    2. Full Keyboard: I’ve never lost a typing race to an iPhone user. Ever. Not to mention my messages are coherent 100% of the time (the exception of course is when I’ve been drinking) while my iPhone friends are busy correcting their auto-correct. Touchscreens are great and all but it honestly pains me to walk into the Verizon store and see the the slow extinction of the full keyboard. I’ve never met someone with a touch keyboard who says they love it. The folks who have made the switch all say the same thing: “You get used to it.” Guess what? I don’t want to get used to it. I’m over the cool factor of the touchscreen. I need fast, simple, easy and there’s nothing fast simple and easy about typing with one finger. Don’t believe me? Check out all the people in coffee shops with external keyboards hooked up to their iPads. In fact, the touchscreen keyboard is among the reasons I’m hesitant on the new Samsung Galaxy–that and its sheer size.
    3. BBM: I’ll be honest. This is my weakest argument for holding onto my BlackBerry. Nonetheless, the BlackBerry Messenger has been good to me. I know when my messages are delivered and read, and I don’t incur any fees regardless of the number of BBMs I send about my 24-hour hangover. Apparently there’s a similar App on the iPhone but I still have a number of BBM friends I’m not ready to abandon. I should note that my list of BBM buddies has been getting smaller as they make the switch to the Droid or iPhone but I’m hanging on for my people who love their red indicator light as much as I do.
    12-31-11 09:18 PM
    Only 3? I can think of many other reasons.
    12-31-11 10:00 PM
    Good article. Maybe should be moved to News and Rumors forum to balance out all the doom and gloom articles that seem to dominate that section.
    12-31-11 10:04 PM
    Good article. Maybe should be moved to News and Rumors forum to balance out all the doom and gloom articles that seem to dominate that section.
    "I'm not leaving X device" is neither news nor rumor, so it's kind of odd to ask that it be moved there.
    12-31-11 10:09 PM
    I actually have just one: iTunes.

For as long as the iPhone requires iTunes, I'll never consider it.
    12-31-11 10:24 PM
    itunes is terrible software
    12-31-11 10:31 PM
    The keyboard on my 9930 is Awesome.
    13echo4 likes this.
    12-31-11 11:25 PM
    The keyboard on my 9930 is Awesome.
    +1

If only there were a carrier that had the plan price of VM USA and the 9900/9930.
    01-01-12 12:19 AM
    itunes is a horrible closed DRM-laden system that does not allow any other competitor service on apple products. Having other options available to manage my music, movies, podcasts, videos, etc is a big advantage for RIM and another great reason to stick with RIM and steer clear from apple.
    Lyls and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    01-01-12 12:19 AM
    I wouldn't switch to an iPhone either but...

1. I'm glad the LED light is gone. I found myself almost obsessed wtih checking to see if the light was flashing.

2. I'd challenge you to a text race if I can use swype.

3. I never used BBM when I had a blackberry. I never even knew what it was until a year or so after I started using BBs.

I do hear you on the "you'll get used to it" as far as teh keyboard. I hesitated so long...

I wish BB would come out with a 4.7" or 5" touch screen and resizable widgets, I'd prob come back. I konw some people think that's way too big. But to each his own.

Happy New Years!
    01-01-12 12:40 AM
    How about email ? The fact that I can attach files without having to open them on the device first is a big plus. I don't have to worry about the mobile version of Numbers destroying the formatting of an Excel file. You can also add multiple attachments.

I actually have just one: iTunes.

For as long as the iPhone requires iTunes, I'll never consider it.
    With the release of iOS 5 it is no longer required.

Why is that ?

itunes is a horrible closed DRM-laden system that does not allow any other competitor service on apple products. Having other options available to manage my music, movies, podcasts, videos, etc is a big advantage for RIM and another great reason to stick with RIM and steer clear from apple.
    I don't know whether to call your post an out and out lie or a gross exaggeration. A more correct statement would be "The only Apple supported way to manage content on non iOS iPods is iTunes. You may acquire content from anywhere you wish. "

Dude DRM on iTunes is so 2000... Get with the times, DRM was dropped from the iTunes music years ago. Funny thing is BB Desktop works with it. Name a better software package for managing podcast.
    01-01-12 12:57 AM
    P
    How about email ? The fact that I can attach files without having to open them on the device first is a big plus. I don't have to worry about the mobile version of Numbers destroying the formatting of an Excel file. You can also add multiple attachments.
    With thep release of iOS 5 it is no longer required.
    Does the iphone have to open files before attaching to emails or mms? I didn't know that. As I've said many times I don't do anything on an iphone unless I have. And she makes me.
    Ios5 doenst require itunes to manege the iphone? What can you sync it with? Wmp, outlook, office maybe?
    My wife is still using itunes reckon nobody told her yet. So the iphone isn't restricted to 1 libary anymore? That's good news.
    I don't know what the arguement should actually be. So as that maybe in my opinion itunes is garbage. Its so aggravating getting everything synced up and deleted the way you want. It just so much simplier to just plug usb in and use explorer. I imagion now you can use explorer for ios5?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Czar_of_Berry likes this.
    01-01-12 04:09 AM
    There are way more than 3 reasons I won't leave my iPhone.

The three reasons in OP are very poor but I must admit I thought the same thing at one time.

The flashing LED is not a problem for me. If something is that critical in my line of work they better call. For others I understand the need for it. For most people though, email is not mission critical and you will fInd yourself freed from the chains of that little blinking red light.

I feel more at ease to be honest and have simply checked email a couple of times a day or when I notice the mail app has an email in it. I do get push email and there is a little number in a red circle near the mail app to tell you, so it is good. I also feel more productive. I used to drop everything I was doing to check that little flashing LED and now I feel there is no obligation to. I would have never turned my LED off because I was so used to it. Now there is no option for it, I am glad I don't have one. If I ever went back to BB I would definitely turn off that feature.

The typing is fine on an iPhone. I am just as fast on my iPhone as I am on a BB. I believe the iPhone's ability to recognize voice and insert it into areas of text for you though is the best. I dictate reports, emails, texts, posts, reminders, etc. my productivity has again increased. My thumbs aren't sore either.

BBM? Seriously? Whatever floats your boat. All my friends and colleagues moved to iPhone, so this wouldn't be an issue for me.

iTunes? The iPhone 4S with iOS 5 does not require iTunes sync. You can use all iOS devices as stand alone devices with wireless iCloud sync if you want now. I, however did not like iTunes either at first. Now I love it. It is a great way to get movies and songs to sync with the device. I also like iPhoto. All my photos sync perfectly and I can buy them right there cheaper than shutterfly.

Multiple email attachments? I thought this was a big deal, but in the 6-8 weeks I have had my iPhone I have not noticed a need to attach multiple email attachments. If so, I would just say they would be forthcoming over a couple of emails. Since most people I know have iPhones it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The ability to FaceTime, create appointments/texts/emails and more with Siri, edit documents better, give keynote presentations from my device, stream music/movies to my TV and stereo, create movies, take great pictures/video and edit them, go online with a great browser, get better looking non-truncated email, and download tons of apps have made my iPhone a remarkable BB killer. There is no way I would go back at this time.

RIM has a lot of catching up to do, but I don't think they have the time to do so. I do,however, hope they succeed because competition is good for all of us.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 01-01-12 at 06:26 AM.
    01-01-12 06:23 AM
    /\
    l
    l
    This advertisement is brought to you by.....
    01-01-12 07:07 AM
    There are way more than 3 reasons I won't leave my iPhone.

The three reasons in OP are very poor but I must admit I thought the same thing at one time.

The flashing LED is not a problem for me. If something is that critical in my line of work they better call. For others I understand the need for it. For most people though, email is not mission critical and you will fInd yourself freed from the chains of that little blinking red light.

I feel more at ease to be honest and have simply checked email a couple of times a day or when I notice the mail app has an email in it. I do get push email and there is a little number in a red circle near the mail app to tell you, so it is good. I also feel more productive. I used to drop everything I was doing to check that little flashing LED and now I feel there is no obligation to. I would have never turned my LED off because I was so used to it. Now there is no option for it, I am glad I don't have one. If I ever went back to BB I would definitely turn off that feature.

The typing is fine on an iPhone. I am just as fast on my iPhone as I am on a BB. I believe the iPhone's ability to recognize voice and insert it into areas of text for you though is the best. I dictate reports, emails, texts, posts, reminders, etc. my productivity has again increased. My thumbs aren't sore either.

BBM? Seriously? Whatever floats your boat. All my friends and colleagues moved to iPhone, so this wouldn't be an issue for me.

iTunes? The iPhone 4S with iOS 5 does not require iTunes sync. You can use all iOS devices as stand alone devices with wireless iCloud sync if you want now. I, however did not like iTunes either at first. Now I love it. It is a great way to get movies and songs to sync with the device. I also like iPhoto. All my photos sync perfectly and I can buy them right there cheaper than shutterfly.

Multiple email attachments? I thought this was a big deal, but in the 6-8 weeks I have had my iPhone I have not noticed a need to attach multiple email attachments. If so, I would just say they would be forthcoming over a couple of emails. Since most people I know have iPhones it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The ability to FaceTime, create appointments/texts/emails and more with Siri, edit documents better, give keynote presentations from my device, stream music/movies to my TV and stereo, create movies, take great pictures/video and edit them, go online with a great browser, get better looking non-truncated email, and download tons of apps have made my iPhone a remarkable BB killer. There is no way I would go back at this time.

RIM has a lot of catching up to do, but I don't think they have the time to do so. I do,however, hope they succeed because competition is good for all of us.
    You are basically saying that the iphone's shortcomings don't matter to you. They also don't matter to millions of other iphone users. However they do matter to some. BBM is very useful if you know a lot of people with Blackberrys, just like being able to attach multiple files to an email is useful.

The most disturbing part of your post for RIM is that you stated your iphone is better at email (html emails plus truncation issues) and better at document editing software. We all know that Blackberrys struggle with multimedia but RIM needs to improve its business software even more than just BIS 4.1. The native email interface needs an overhaul.

I think that RIM's first QNX BB10 phone should be a landscape slider like the OG Droid. A Blackberry keyboard in landscape would be incredible, plus it pay homage to Blackberry's roots while moving to the future (with a 4"+ touchscreen).
    defiantpunk likes this.
    01-01-12 07:18 AM
    i have a love hate relationship with my LED. I love the fact that its there to tell me i got something new while staying in its pouch. But i also hate it because like other people have said i find myself waiting for the lil blink to see it if have anything. Anyone know of a setting or APP that will make the LED solid instead of blinking?

BBM is cool and everything but up where i live the network is so lacking that most of the time it doesnt go threw, or takes 10min to do so.

i miss my full keyboard of my 9000. at first i didnt but now i find that due to my heavy texting that my screen is loose and feels sluggish.
    01-01-12 07:20 AM
    I think that RIM's first QNX BB10 phone should be a landscape slider...
    id LOVE if it was a landscape slider instead of the upright one they have now!! i was tempted to get this Moto when i moved to a GSM area because of that one fact.
    Motorola XT860 4G superphone from Bell Mobility
    01-01-12 07:24 AM
    I like the look of that slider, but I did like using the M-RAZR. Nice device. a little awkward to hold for a guy like me, but an alternative should someone be looking for an Android phone.

I thought you didn't need iTunes anymore to setup your iphone.

@Economist - Poster wanted the thread moved to offset the doom and gloom posts that dominate that section.
    01-01-12 07:38 AM
    i have a love hate relationship with my LED. I love the fact that its there to tell me i got something new while staying in its pouch. But i also hate it because like other people have said i find myself waiting for the lil blink to see it if have anything. Anyone know of a setting or APP that will make the LED solid instead of blinking?

BBM is cool and everything but up where i live the network is so lacking that most of the time it doesnt go threw, or takes 10min to do so.

i miss my full keyboard of my 9000. at first i didnt but now i find that due to my heavy texting that my screen is loose and feels sluggish.
    Bebuzz can do that....
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    01-01-12 07:41 AM
    ...BECAUSE i don't have to choose one or the other. Actually i have Both.
    01-01-12 08:47 AM
    You can actually have a flashing light on the iPhone. It's under the accessibility options. You can make the LED light on the back blink when you get an email.

Joe
    01-01-12 08:47 AM
    Bebuzz can do that....
    do i need to have the app running all the time? is it just when its in bedside mode? don't have my phone on me, no cell phones at work , that's why I'm asking these questions not because I'm lazy lol.
    01-01-12 09:42 AM
    You can actually have a flashing light on the iPhone. It's under the accessibility options. You can make the LED light on the back blink when you get an email.

Joe
    Doesn't seem to be much use with the phone laying flat, face up, on your desk.
    01-01-12 11:21 AM
    This is a really big plus for me. I don't download unethically obtained music (not illegal to torrent in Canada) so this provides me an opportunity to have small monthly fee for a lot of music I enjoy listening to.
    01-01-12 12:07 PM
    I don't know whether to call your post an out and out lie or a gross exaggeration. The only Apple supported way to manage content on non iOS iPods is iTunes. You may acquire content from anywhere you wish.
    The problems with itunes are widely known. The "why i hate itunes" search on google provides many answers, so no, I am not lying or exaggerating. itunes is an abomination.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2010/04/...ing-music.html
    Last edited by Brianflys; 01-01-12 at 05:22 PM. Reason: fixed link
    01-01-12 12:15 PM
154 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD