I was looking at my bill and realized I consumed 2GB worth of b/w on my Bold in 20 days!!

I called technical support and they couldn't identify a potential problem.

I am wondering, how on Earth could I have used 2GB in 20 days?

Yes, I do streaming (radio) but not as much as the previous months (which was at 350 mb for last month and 300 mb for the month prior).

I've wiped my Blackberry just in case.

The application I had one where:

1. FlyCast
    2. QuickPull
    3. MSN Messenger (barely used)
    4. Facebook

Good thing I had 3 month unlimited bandwidth that's why I wasn't charged, but I still don't understand how would I get to 2GB a month!! Knowing that I have wifi when I'm home and I'm home 60% of my time!

As I was looking at per day usage, some days I used well over 100MB, is that possible? I mean only if you were streaming all day (which is impossible for me) and on the website and doing BBM and MSN you can noway reach that much!

Could this be a potential problem?

Just yesterday I received a text saying that I've consumed 80% of my data (I have 500MB) and my billing cycle starts in 10 days, so that's OK I guess.

But I still can't figure out how did I reach 2GB!
    05-28-09 12:57 PM
    Donno, but congrats!
    I've been trying to break 1G in a month with no luck. Hahah.
    Good thing ya don't have to pay!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 01:02 PM
    that sounds a little fishy to me, i would look deeper into it.....
    05-28-09 01:03 PM
    that sounds a little fishy to me, i would look deeper into it.....
    In what sense? What can I do?
    05-28-09 01:04 PM
    That is a serious data habit you got, good thing our friends are Rogers gave you 90 days of unlimited to check it out.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/mon...a-usage-11523/

You mention having a Wifi connection the majority of time at home. I presume you are aware, Rogers counts every byte against your plan, even with UMA.

The application I had one where:

1. FlyCast
    2. QuickPull
    3. MSN Messenger (barely used)
    4. Facebook
    Facebook is a suspect, particularly if you have a lot of contacts posting images.

QuickPull doesn't use data at all and MSN only when you have active IM's

05-28-09 01:07 PM
    That is a serious data habit you got, good thing our friends are Rogers gave you 90 days of unlimited to check it out.

You mention having a Wifi connection the majority of time at home. I presume you are aware, Rogers counts every byte against your plan, even with UMA.

Facebook is a suspect, particularly if you have a lot of contants posting images.

QuickPull doesn't use data at all and MSN only when your have active IM's

Whatnow? Rogers will charge you for data even if you just use straight up WiFi in your home?
    05-28-09 01:16 PM
    Whatnow? Rogers will charge you for data even if you just use straight up WiFi in your home?
    Yes, unless you have selected the Hotspot Browser with Wifi. That is independent of Rogers and not billed.

If you have the Internet Browser selected and use it through UMA, it counts.

Until last year, Rogers had tiny 1.5 Mb plans, it cost $10 Mb overplan.

Now, we have the much more reasonable 500 Mb plan and some of us got in on the 6Gb plan.
    05-28-09 01:21 PM

Facebook is a suspect, particularly if you have a lot of contacts posting images.

QuickPull doesn't use data at all and MSN only when you have active IM's

Thanks for the post.

Facebook: Barely do any image-related browsing. 99% of my usage is status update/replies.

As for the wifi data, what you're saying is that if I used my connection through wifi I am still charged? Because I left the country for 10 days and abroad I had "off when roaming" and I was able to use wifi the whole time and I wasn't charged because on the bill shows no b/w consumption for the 10 day duration.
    Also, the tech guy yesterday said that "we need to make sure all your connections are going through wifi" which I think he meant that if it's going through wifi then I'm not charged against my 500mb.
    05-28-09 01:24 PM
    Not to high jack but is that with everyone with wi-fi or just rogers?
    05-28-09 01:24 PM
    Yes, unless you have selected the Hotspot Browser with Wifi. That is independent of Rogers and not billed.

Now, we have the much more reasonable 500 Mb plan and some of us got in on the 6Gb plan.
    Yes, that's what I did. I changed from Internet Browser to Hotspot.
    05-28-09 01:25 PM

Ah, gotcha, you had me worried for a minute. I don't have a WiFi BB yet but I want one. Something like charging for WiFi regardless would have convinced me not to go there.
    05-28-09 01:26 PM
    Have you installed the data monitor from the link in my first post?

You will need BlackBerry Desktop Manager to install it. I have it running now on mine.
    05-28-09 01:29 PM
    Have you installed the data monitor from the link in my first post?

You will need BlackBerry Desktop Manager to install it. I have it running now on mine.
    Yes, I have. However, the interface is extremely primitive and the writing is not clear. I'm not sure what BB model you have, but I just couldn't read.

Your post was dated back to 2007, I was wondering, after 2 years, hasn't there been any update to a "real" version, as opposed to a beta?
    05-28-09 01:31 PM
    The scale is logarithmic, what counts is the data being accumulated. I have it installed on a 260x240 Pearl.

I used Browser to Open WAP CrackBerry and the first page of Show your BlackBerry.

That is typical, you are looking for the unusual.

There may be more sophisticated data monitors, but this one meets the need for a free app.
    05-28-09 02:26 PM
    The scale is logarithmic, what counts is the data being accumulated. I have it installed on a 260x240 Pearl.

I used Browser to Open WAP CrackBerry and the first page of Show your BlackBerry.

That is typical, you are looking for the unusual.

There may be more sophisticated data monitors, but this one meets the need for a free app.
    Yup, for a free application, not bad at all.
    05-28-09 02:30 PM
    Not to high jack but is that with everyone with wi-fi or just rogers?
    That's gotta be just Rogers....

I ran my AT&T Tilt with no data plan on WiFi for 1.5 years straight without ever getting charged a cent for data (or getting a call from AT&T complaining to me about it)

That's actually kinda messed up IMO. "Hey, we know that you pay $65 a month for your internet at home plus another $50 for that nice WiFi router so you don't have to use cellular data all the time, but we're still gonna charge you the data 'cause we need the money "
    05-28-09 03:11 PM
    Just how much have you been using flycast and are you properly shutting it down?
    05-28-09 04:09 PM
    Just how much have you been using flycast and are you properly shutting it down?
    Like I said, similar to the consumption of the month before which average at around 320MB (in total).

Also, the 2GB where consumed over 20 days (because I left the country for 10 days). While the 350MB that were consumed the month prior where over a period of 30 days and not 20.
    05-28-09 04:42 PM
    I get 500mb with Orange UK and I believe I am a heavy user, I constantly use Windows Live Messenger, always checking Facebook and constantly browsing CB amongst other sites like The Sun Mobile (Newspaper) and BBC mobile site. Last month I used on 24mb. I think it would be impossible (unless tethering) to run up a data bill of 2GB. It's shocking. Something must be wrong. Unless Rogers works differently to Orange UK, I wouldn't know anything about plans in the US?
    05-28-09 04:42 PM
    What does it matter if you have UNLTD???
    05-28-09 05:10 PM
    What does it matter if you have UNLTD???
    Unlimited? If that's what you mean, then it matters because Rogers doesn't have unlimited data plans to my knowledge. They have plans with caps on them, but have different plans with lower/higher data caps.
    05-28-09 05:19 PM
    I get 500mb with Orange UK and I believe I am a heavy user, I constantly use Windows Live Messenger, always checking Facebook and constantly browsing CB amongst other sites like The Sun Mobile (Newspaper) and BBC mobile site. Last month I used on 24mb. I think it would be impossible (unless tethering) to run up a data bill of 2GB. It's shocking. Something must be wrong. Unless Rogers works differently to Orange UK, I wouldn't know anything about plans in the US?
    The only difference between you and I is Flycast, I use it to do streaming, but still with that, it cannot be 2GB, you know... That's weird.
    Oh and Rogers is a Canadian company, not USA.
    05-28-09 05:20 PM
    Do you have podcast gathering software installed?
    05-28-09 05:32 PM
    The only difference between you and I is Flycast, I use it to do streaming, but still with that, it cannot be 2GB, you know... That's weird.
    Oh and Rogers is a Canadian company, not USA.
    I seem to recall FlyCast will run in the background and continue to stream data but not appear on the task ribbon. Not to play the radio I mean, but to update the lists or something.

I could be wrong though, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere.

Reed, awesome app! Thanks a lot for pointing that out. I just installed it and so did a few of my friends.
    05-28-09 05:33 PM
    I seem to recall FlyCast will run in the background and continue to stream data but not appear on the task ribbon. Not to play the radio I mean, but to update the lists or something.

I could be wrong though, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere.

Reed, awesome app! Thanks a lot for pointing that out. I just installed it and so did a few of my friends.
    It doesn't really. I mean, like I said, I used it the same as last month and it avged at 350. From 350MB to 2GB... that's a lot you know...
    05-28-09 05:47 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD