PIN blocking is global, IMEI blocking is not.

The PIN will be dead across the world, the phone will still function outside of Canada.

Still sucks for people who might buy them for a semi realistic price to find out it's stolen though.
    08-25-11 11:02 PM
    I am actually selling a Torch for $500 in Toronto. New in Box if anyone wants it!
    Sharma15 likes this.
    08-25-11 11:18 PM
    i wonder if these were stolen from carrier warehouses... rather than rim... if they were i wonder if they are now considered 2700 additonal devices 'shipped' this quarter...
    heh

edit:

Inside job - maybe the ex-disgruntle employees? (1 of 2000 to search from)
    Last edited by ignites; 08-26-11 at 12:03 AM.
    08-25-11 11:19 PM
    Eh.. it would suck for the most innocent person to be charged or put in jail for having a stolen phone without even being told that it was stolen.. sure we shouldn't buy phones from 3rd party retailers but still.. people buy phones off ebay every single day without knowing.. i don't think the buyer should be charge
    08-26-11 12:24 AM
    I am pretty sure the stolen goods would be smuggled out and be sold overseas. How would I know if I bought one of them overseas..where could I check the stolen SN...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 12:26 AM
    PIN blocking is global, IMEI blocking is not.

The PIN will be dead across the world, the phone will still function outside of Canada.

Still sucks for people who might buy them for a semi realistic price to find out it's stolen though.
    i dont think it will be realistic to penalise any buyer for buying such a phone.

Is anyone else MAJORRRRRRR jealous?? cuz i am!!!!! lol.. who ever thought of that is a genius !!!!
    lol i felt that too at first but i felt bad when i put myself in the shoes of the person/company that bought it from RIM. RIM will definitely not compensate them and the person may have borrowed that money from a bank with interest.

I am actually selling a Torch for $500 in Toronto. New in Box if anyone wants it!
    what torch? 9800 or 9810 or 9860?
    08-26-11 01:15 AM
    I am pretty sure the stolen goods would be smuggled out and be sold overseas. How would I know if I bought one of them overseas..where could I check the stolen SN...

exactly why i said buyers will not be held responsible. the PIN and the EMEI should be blocked. by the time the phone refuse to function..it will be returned backwards till the thieves are caught. RIM could even enable an alert on the PINs of the stolen phone.
    08-26-11 01:20 AM
    this is really a very ugly incident. i dont think RIM will be able to old anyone responsible for buying a stolen phone because they have not created adequate information that will make everyone/anyone liable. especially if those stolen phones are sold in standard mobile shops.

anyways, good luck to them locating 2700 phones.
    Phones are long gone, highly doubt they'd recover all of 'em but I'm sure the insurance process has already started so no big $ will be lost to the big players (eg. RIM and carriers,) but the store owners who ordered the 9810's will be losing business as customers may go elsewhere with stock. And since all these phones will be paid out by insurance, if they are recovered they'll most likely end up being destroyed so they don't end up in the retail chain.

Like I said before, chances are you won't get charged with having a stolen phone but
    1. blacklisted PIN = you got a glorified phone
    2. if caught, your 9810 will be confiscated and probably some nice conversation with cops (eg. statements, where/who/when u bought from, etc. etc.) so you'd be wasting your own time
    3. regardless, you're out a 9810 and gotta buy another one.
    4. if cops believe you had intent and knew you were in possession of stolen property, Bubba's waiting in the cell!
    5. you COULD buy one, show up at the cop shop, all they'd do is say "thanks!" ... ask you some questions for a statement and well, you're still out a 9810. hah.
    08-26-11 01:27 AM
    I found the culprit.

Zizzzzy and TLS2000 like this.
    08-26-11 04:03 AM
    Sigh they would threaten to charge you, first off they should release the serials like lotuslanderz said, this is plain stupid -_-

08-26-11 04:43 AM
    Excellent.

Lets keep a close eye on ebay for those bargains coming out of Canada.

Good publicity for RIM too.
    08-26-11 05:19 AM
    i dont think it will be realistic to penalise any buyer for buying such a phone.

lol i felt that too at first but i felt bad when i put myself in the shoes of the person/company that bought it from RIM. RIM will definitely not compensate them and the person may have borrowed that money from a bank with interest.

what torch? 9800 or 9810 or 9860?
    If the company was foolish enough to let someone walk out with a pallet or two or expensive goods they should have factored this stupidity into their business plan.
    anon(3979116) likes this.
    08-26-11 05:23 AM
    This takes me back to the playstation 3 mess. You guys remember how people were jacking them because of how much of a wanted item they were? Well, this could be a good sign for blackberry. Now people are going to assume that there is a reason they were stolen and come see for themselves. You know they will, it's basic psychology. "I want to know what the big fuss is about", is what will likely being going through people's heads. Maybe that's why RIM's stock is on the rise. Heh, maybe it really was an "inside job."
    anon(3979116) likes this.
    08-26-11 05:50 AM
    2700 phones @ $1.1M = $407each. Bugger, I obviously paid too much!!!!
    08-26-11 06:24 AM
    if the PIN was blocked so the 9810 just a garbage phone :/
    08-26-11 07:54 AM
    312, that was too funny!
    08-26-11 08:01 AM
    They are probably already headed overseas on the new silk road. I always buy from my service provider, but just call me Mr. Cautious.
    08-26-11 08:28 AM
    Make double sure you're not buying a hot 9810... if you're found with one (at least in Canada), the least damage may be that your new 9810 will be seized with no compensation to you. Worse would be if you get charged...
    Canadian Law doesn't work like that, but thanks for the heads up.
    08-26-11 08:28 AM
    I guess there is a market for these phones...never heard of iPhones being stolen HAHAHAHA
    08-26-11 08:54 AM
    This takes me back to the playstation 3 mess. You guys remember how people were jacking them because of how much of a wanted item they were? Well, this could be a good sign for blackberry. Now people are going to assume that there is a reason they were stolen and come see for themselves. You know they will, it's basic psychology. "I want to know what the big fuss is about", is what will likely being going through people's heads. Maybe that's why RIM's stock is on the rise. Heh, maybe it really was an "inside job."
    I was thinking the same too, jacked from the inside, thus no SN/Pin/IMEI numbers released, so they can go sell them again somewhere else lol
    08-26-11 09:42 AM
    Well it better not have MTS mobility's shipment to Manitoba otherwise I'm gonna be pissed. I've been waiting long enough!!

08-26-11 10:06 AM
    Their PIN can be blocked in Canada, but I know for a fact in some countries it will still work. If you ship those items outside of North America and Europe for example, they will be able to even run BIS! It is hard to catch because some criminals are international.
    Thats what i was saying too. Yea ofcourse in Canada kause RIM is their.

US probably too just to be nice with Canada . But overseas. They kinda dont have juristiction. The worse RIM can do is not let that BB get any BBM lol.. But the countries might not waste their time tryna find someone that bought a stolen bb.

HHMMMM i wonder if D.R. would mind. My aunt has been wanting a new BB lol
    08-26-11 01:57 PM
    What sucks is. For a while tryna buy one on ebay is gonna be hard. How are you to know if they are lagit or not.
    08-26-11 01:58 PM
    Thats what i was saying too. Yea ofcourse in Canada kause RIM is their.

US probably too just to be nice with Canada . But overseas. They kinda dont have juristiction. The worse RIM can do is not let that BB get any BBM lol.. But the countries might not waste their time tryna find someone that bought a stolen bb.

HHMMMM i wonder if D.R. would mind. My aunt has been wanting a new BB lol
    RIM can and will block PIN functionality for a lost or stolen handset. Once RIM does this, then all PIN functions will not work. Since all PIN level comms go through RIM's server, they will never be able to use the  for anything but voice/sms.

You maybe thinking of an IMEI.
    Cheers,
    08-26-11 02:03 PM
    How does someone even go about trying to sell this many phones, really? "Uh, yeah, so you wanna put up an ad on eBay for 2000 Torches? Let's say, $50 bucks each or highest bid?" That doesn't sound fishy at all. They would have to ship it over seas. Even that would be difficult to do. How do you do that without looking suspicious? Stupid criminals. Shame on them. Hope the authorities catch them.
    08-26-11 02:39 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD