Make double sure you're not buying a hot 9810... if you're found with one (at least in Canada), the least damage may be that your new 9810 will be seized with no compensation to you. Worse would be if you get charged...

Peel Regional Police | Media Archive

Peel Police - Stolen Blackberry Smartphones
    August 25, 2011

Mississauga � Officers with the 21 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau are investigating a theft of Blackberry smartphones from a Mississauga warehouse.

Sometime between the evening of August 19 and evening of August 20th, 2011, suspects entered a warehouse located on Slough Street in Mississauga. Once inside, the suspects removed three skids of packaged smartphones. The phones are described as Blackberry 9810�s and are either grey or white in colour. A total of 2,700 phones were stolen with a street value of 1.1 million dollars. Of the 2,700 phones, 900 are believed to be grey and 1800 are believed to be white.

A similar picture of the skids containing the phones can be viewed by clicking on the following link [skids1]. This is not an actual photo of the stolen product.

A picture of what the phones would appear to look like can be viewed by clicking on the following link [9810].

There is no suspect information at this time.

Identification and PIN numbers for the stolen phones have been recorded by police and investigators would like to remind the public that being found in possession of a stolen smartphone is a criminal offence.

Anyone with information on this matter is asked to contact the 21 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau, at (905) 453-2121, ext. 2133. Information can also be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or by visiting Peel Crime Stoppers.
    mssca and CellUnlock.net like this.
    08-25-11 04:20 PM
    Identification and PIN numbers for the stolen phones have been recorded by police and investigators would like to remind the public that being found in possession of a stolen smartphone is a criminal offence.

What the heck?
    Thats so dumb.

So you get in trouble for not knowing this stuff?
    Delirious D likes this.
    08-25-11 04:38 PM
    Well, I think they have to prove intent that you knew you were in possession of stolen property. There's a charge <$5000 and a more serious one >$5000. 2 and 10 years max in prison on each specific charge... not including whatever else they throw the book at you with. Either way your life will be messed up even found legally not-guilty. Regardless your punishment will be losing your shiny new 9810. Not worth the risk in my view.
    08-25-11 04:51 PM
    Maybe they should release the serial #s so people can check before buying on eBay/Craigslist/Kijiji etc.
    LewLew23, Jon Seals and UN4GTBL like this.
    08-25-11 06:31 PM
    I always find out about these kind of things too late and theyre gone or the guy gets caught. I remember when this happened with PS3's!
    08-25-11 07:16 PM
    I think the value is way over $1,000,000...2700 x $500 = $1,350,000

Either way...CRAZY. Feel bad for anyone that buys one, not knowing it's stolen.
    08-25-11 07:30 PM
    wow that's great!!!
    08-25-11 07:37 PM
    What the heck?
    Thats so dumb.

So you get in trouble for not knowing this stuff?
    If you find a brand new blackberry torch for under 450 theres probably something shady about it. If you are getting a torch in the 300's then theres definately something shady about it. Think about it, its only been a week since the phones been released you are better off returning it and paying the restocking fee than getting rid of it for a loss. So basically you get in trouble for getting a killer deal because its probably a stolen phone. If you find a good deal or are buying used maybe call the police phone number and confirm the pin as not stolen and you are good to go.
    08-25-11 08:32 PM
    Does this mean AT and T will buy them?lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    icwhite01 likes this.
    08-25-11 08:32 PM
    It was an Inside Job.

08-25-11 08:45 PM
    Their PIN can be blocked in Canada, but I know for a fact in some countries it will still work. If you ship those items outside of North America and Europe for example, they will be able to even run BIS! It is hard to catch because some criminals are international.
    08-25-11 08:56 PM
    Now that's a Mobile Heist Kevin!
    Deathcommand likes this.
    08-25-11 09:02 PM
    Why dont they just block all those pins? The phones cant be sold if they dont work :s. I suggest broadcasting all your friends not to buy a 9810 from an outside source.
    08-25-11 09:09 PM
    Yep that many stolen...has to be an inside job.

08-25-11 09:26 PM
    Yep that many stolen...has to be an inside job.

Would you say that its perhaps an Inside "Jobs"? The guy isn't doing anything else at the moment.

08-25-11 09:30 PM
    consider some third world counutries don't even use this as a data device but text, i'm sure its got its market even if PIN blocked

but i always do pin block check by BBMing one of my friend. its a quick and easy way to ensure its not reported as stolen
    08-25-11 09:35 PM
    these devices will be added to the EIR (Equipment Identifier Registry) which is international, and will disable the device in ALL aspects in 180 countries. Good luck to those who buy them, hope you get caught!
    funnykindel likes this.
    08-25-11 09:46 PM
    Surely the best protection for people that purchase phones from anyone other than a retailer (be it carrier, amazon type etc) should be a facility to enter the pin in to a website to confirm it's not been listed as stolen.

I don't believe going on price alone is a good indicator as the crooks will just sell them for a higher price - like the Chinese ripoff Beats Headphones - charge closer to retail so they have to be legit!!!
    08-25-11 10:17 PM
    I wonder if they'l make a blockbuster out of it. =p
    08-25-11 10:20 PM
    consider some third world counutries don't even use this as a data device but text, i'm sure its got its market even if PIN blocked

but i always do pin block check by BBMing one of my friend. its a quick and easy way to ensure its not reported as stolen
    In most countries Data is Cheaper.
    08-25-11 10:25 PM
    Would you say that its perhaps an Inside "Jobs"? The guy isn't doing anything else at the moment.

Too funny!!!!

08-25-11 10:26 PM
    I think the value is way over $1,000,000...2700 x $500 = $1,350,000

Either way...CRAZY. Feel bad for anyone that buys one, not knowing it's stolen.
    or $1200 if they all are signed up for a three contract with rogers
    08-25-11 10:40 PM
    this is really a very ugly incident. i dont think RIM will be able to old anyone responsible for buying a stolen phone because they have not created adequate information that will make everyone/anyone liable. especially if those stolen phones are sold in standard mobile shops.

anyways, good luck to them locating 2700 phones.
    08-25-11 10:54 PM
    It was an Inside Job.
    it is definitely as inside job. the insider knew that 1 million plus worth of good is in the warehouse but there isnt adequate security to protect their safety.

the company that bought from RIM should be held responsible too for negligence.
    08-25-11 10:56 PM
    Is anyone else MAJORRRRRRR jealous?? cuz i am!!!!! lol.. who ever thought of that is a genius !!!!
    08-25-11 10:58 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD