Well, I'll be contentious on at least one of your statements. There are some observations that have merit, but at least one of them is coming to us from out around Uranus. I'll challenge the average consumer to line up all 4 iPhone units face up, and try to tell the difference between any of them. Put them in cases, the expert wouldn't be able to tell them apart. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an iPod and an iPhone if you couldn't see the speaker mesh. They're so innovative, they all look almost identical.

In fact, light 'em all up. Are there any real differences in their interfaces? In fact, look at the iPad, gee, looks familiar, because it's identical.

You wanna buy a device, get a limited amount of memory depending on the model, and you load that up, what now?! You go buy a new device. Your battery gets weak? Send it to them, because only they're authorized to fix it. Take it in for service, you don't have the latest model with the latest upgrade, they look at you like a neanderthal, treat you like you've got a booger on your shirt, and shake their heads at your lack of hipness.

Blackberry can be improved, don't get me wrong. But we live in a world where one size doesn't fit all. Oh, and it is rather difficult to tell the difference between many of the Droid models, too. Even if built by different manufacturers, they pretty much look the same at first glance. And most of them are quite similar in form factor. Exceptions being the Epic and Pro.

Let's see, we have Bold-style, Curve Style, Pearl-style, Torch, Style, and the Storms now. Seems to me like who has a more diverse selection of forms? Yeah, the OSes are very similar, and they're a little stale, but tomorrow's another day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    if only you "thought" like the typical consumer bb would be on top instead of Iphone and soon android. but you aren't. and that's why the typical consumer chooses over and over and over, Ip and android over bb, and you do just the opposite. I know all you want is a phone that just "does what I need". that's all well and good. most people want more. and when they go into stores and see what they can do with ip and android that they can't do very well with bb, they are choosing that again and again. they aren't' saying "I just need a phone that does what I need". they are saying "wow I can do that!". that's the major fallacy of market analysis I see from the hardcore BB lovers. they think most people are like them. they aren't.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 12-09-10 at 05:36 PM.
    12-09-10 05:28 PM
    My wishlist, is to have the possibility, to dualboot multiple OS's, once an app is made, or hackers wreck havoc to make it possible with custom COD's. The storm, torch, or basically any blackberry with an internal SD card would be nice.

For the other blackberries, it would be the SD card itself, with an image reserved to hold the OS and everything else, the COD installed with just the boot data.

That would be slick! What would you be thinking of it being able to dual boot with? BBOS and what, Android or iOS?
    12-09-10 05:46 PM
    That would be slick! What would you be thinking of it being able to dual boot with? BBOS and what, Android or iOS?
    Hmm, depends on the size of the SD card. 16GB would be good to boot wm, ios and android

12-09-10 06:00 PM
    good to see the thread so far isn't fanboy flaming.

I just want a good calendar sync, and perhaps make the OS not so battery pull dependant.
    12-09-10 06:23 PM
    if only you "thought" like the typical consumer bb would be on top instead of Iphone and soon android. but you aren't. and that's why the typical consumer chooses over and over and over, Ip and android over bb, and you do just the opposite. I know all you want is a phone that just "does what I need". that's all well and good. most people want more. and when they go into stores and see what they can do with ip and android that they can't do very well with bb, they are choosing that again and again. they aren't' saying "I just need a phone that does what I need". they are saying "wow I can do that!". that's the major fallacy of market analysis I see from the hardcore BB lovers. they think most people are like them. they aren't.
    First, 'thought' is frequently one of the last factors in the decisions when it comes to purchasing a mobile device. I've been in sales before, and I can tell you from experience, the Wow factor is the biggest part of a large percentage of buyers. Often, a flashy salesman can sell on that factor alone. So many times I've seen folks walk in just because, dangit, they want something 'new'. It's an impulse buy.

But I also help people learn their new devices a couple of months down the road, after they asked themselves, "WTF was I thinking". There are some who buy devices just based on 'awesomeness'.

When I go to buy, I have a plan. I research what something will do and what it won't. I make the decision on what my needs are, which are fairly substantial, because my device serves in a variety of capacities.

But then again, I've never been a 'herd' animal, either. I forge my own path. I just use the tool that works best for me. I don't have to be driven. My attention span is also a lot longer than 90 seconds, so I don't need all the geegaws to wow me.

12-09-10 07:01 PM
    And that's the problem with RIM. Say what you want about Apple, but they are in the right on this one. RIM needs to follow suit. RIM is in the consumer market now and they can't afford missteps like this. I have a friend with a Curve 8330. She was telling me about an app that makes txts appear in a bubble/IM format. I told her she can get that with OS 5.0 and should upgrade her OS. Then I remembered that there is only one carrier in the US with OS 5 on that model and that she would have to delete vendor.xml and such which is too much for a non-tech consumer to want to deal with. Yes she could get a new phone (and she probably will), but she loves the durability of her phone. Wouldn't RIM want to have a consumer who enjoys their product have a positive experience and stay with it! The longer one is using a Blackberry the more likely they will stay with a Blackberry through product cycles. But, I can guarantee you that when she does upgrade she will be taking looks at Apple and Google OS devices were RIM does not face favorably with.

RIM makes no money if you keep your phone longer than 2 years, they want you to upgrade every 2 years, that is the business model. RIM will never have Apple like following, so they can't be like Apple, the are a Carrier device, Carriers want contracts, they and RIM wants sales, they do it pretty right, even Apple releases a new phone every year, and people flock to them

3) Get an OS6 device, Boot times are already addressed

Well considering there are only 2 devices with OS 6 included (both carrier locked) that won't be happening. As I said, boot times are still too high even with OS 6. This is an instant society that has no patience for waiting. Compared to other devices Blackberry boot times are archaic.
    More OS6 devices are coming, and my Boot time is sub 25 seconds on my Torch, that is NOT too slow at all for a boot time, and reconnection to the wireless network. I only fall behind a couple of emails during boot

4)
    I beg to differ! There are more and more business apps being created everyday and as such business users are installing more (not to mention those who have assigned via work and use in a consumer fashion). Also, you must realize that RIM is now in the consumer realm. If I have to reboot to install an app I many times reconsider installing the app and if I am doing something important I will decided to put it off and install later. If I wait until later I may totally forget to install the app. Thats a problem for a consumer and entail RIM. I don't recall EVER having to restart an iPod/iPhone to install an app. I see a cool app an want to install it an use it right away, not mins later. Anytime you can't use your phone is a negative view on said phone.
    Beg to differ all you want, the vast majority of Business users use what IT gives them IT sets it up IT says what they can install, being in Sales, and working with 100's of business users from different company's on a monthly bases I see users who don't even know they can have apps on their phones and don't even use the ones given until I show them they exist, (doc2go) the Core Corporate user is Still not App focused, IF they were RIM would have lost far more business customers to Apple in 2009/2010 than they did.

8)It may be a Win/Win for RIM/Carrier, but how so for a consumer. If I want a Storm/Torch/Style I either have to end my contract and pay a termination fee to get the phone thus negating any discount I would get on it or wait until my contract expires. By then a new competing product may be release which I may prefer to acquire. In honesty I don't see this as a win for RIm either. A Win is in getting consumers to purchase their products and become fans of the Blackberry brand. Consumers who like a Brand will tell others and in fact my purchase for others (family). When consumers have a roadblock which prohibits or makes difficult them acquiring a product, I see it as a negative. RIM is not like Apple. I don't see droves of people leaving their carriers to get a Blackberry like they do with an iPhone. This is something I feel RIM should consider.

I said "Win/Win/Win for RIM/Carrier/User on Exclusive Carrier." The user on the Exclusive Carrier wins, because RIM can sell product A to Carrier for higher margin, Carrier Can Discount device Further to entice users, because they don't compete at the device level, just the plan level, The Consumer already on the Exclusive Carrier or the Consumer not on a Plan gets a more heavily discounted hardware phone than if there was competing for the same phone on all networks, as the Carrier will focus on another phone they have exclusivity on for heavy discounting and customer stealing,
    I don't want to assume what you do for a living but I suspect it isn't in the manufacturer marketing and selling field.

9) The Curve 3G is new and does NOT have Wifi N. I don't see using Bluetooth instead of Wifi as innovation. There are many laptops and other devices that don't have bluetooth capability, but they do have Wifi. There is a reason internet access is distributed via Wifi rather then Bluetooth. As a business device this would be quite an appealing tool. Again, RIM needs competitive edges against Apple and Google OS offerings. This could and should be one of them.
    The Curve is an Entry level device, NOT to be compared with Apple devices, you want the perks you buy the premium device, additionally, Bluetooth might not be innovative, but neither is Wifi hotspots, I would sooner see RIM innovate in another way was more so what I was getting at I like the idea of Bluetooth pairing over Wifi broadcasting when I am in places like airports, and conference centers, and I think that is where RIM is thinking, rather that kids at school, or people at parks/coffee shops.
    I have 3 laptops in my livingroom right now, only 1 does not have Bluetooth, there are pro's and con's to both tech. why play ME too?

10) The first problem is that app space and storage space are not the same. The second problem is lack of included storage space. I use to watch tv episodes on my Curve 8330. I had to convert them to be able to see them properly on the screen and due to space. I stopped doing that. It became tedious and I had an 8gb microSD card. What deceive don't I have a problem doing this with� my iPod touch and iPad. Like it or not, Blackberry is more and more becoming a consumer device. More and more cell phones are being used for more then communication. Games and media are the big things. Why limit yourself and make it difficult for people to use your devices for such. I believe the largest microSD card you can get is 16gb and it's expensive and not readily available in most places. Blackberries already come with included microSD cards (a small 2gb). Why not just include flash storage into the device?
    I agree that a Problem of RIM's is App storage and Media Storage are 2 different sections of memory, that would be nice to be changed, BUT I still see that a device with 4-8GB of Onboard storage with expandable MicroSD ( current max is 32GB) is ample space for a Media Phone, and proper Desktop syncing (ala wireless sync that RIM now has, but needs work on can address short falls of 36-40GB of space, Compression also could play a roll here. as the majority of users do not use the full amount of media storage, so why reduce margins or increase device costs thus reducing sales volume for the select few

12)
    I believe there are only 2 deceives currently out that use Super AMOLED. It is seen as the best screen available. Why not use the best? If they included it in their entire lineup it would separate Blackberry for all the other devices (which is just about everyone else) that doesn't use it. End of 2011/2012 is too far away. Other devices will have appeared with it before RIM.
    Please address HOW rim can get AMOLED screens when their is a world wide shortage from the FAB's until Mid 2011, Samsung owns a Fab which is why they use the AMOLED screen, AND more fabs become available more people will use them NOT SETTING RIM Apart, just putting RIM on Par. at best, roll out time for a new device dictates it will take end of 2011/2012 for this to happen

17)
    I don't see why there should be a separation between the Curve and Bold. They are the same type of phone. The only real difference is cosmetic look and the keyboard (minus camera). Its the reason I choose the Curve over the Tour/Bold. I prefer it's keyboard. It's also the same reason some prefer the Bold over the Curve. Remember the Curve used to be a high end phone. I see the Bold as a more business looking device and the Curve as a more fashionable consumer device. They should have the same internals just different externals.
    Purchase 500 phones and then ask why Curve and Bold should be different, The Curve has NEVER been a high end phone, the 8330 was very much a solid build midlevel phone, the 9000 and the 8830 both had clear advantages over the 8330 during it's infancy, RIM needs "fleetphones" that is the Curve line, a Fleetphone/Entry level phone that has the popular form factor for RIM,
    We again will differ, I come looking at my wishlist from a Manufacturer side of things, dealing with supply chain and looking for how RIM can provide me with what I want whilst making money to continue to do so.
    12-10-10 01:25 AM
    But you still get no physical keyboard, at any price.

Ahh, I forgot that on AT&T the Curve was more expensive. That's one I missed. Good point.

But, you're taking a business device into a consumer demand center. What they have been doing isn't the most desirable, at this point. We are seeing them reposition, lining up the crew they need, and I suspect, they're going to limp for a bit as they retool the whole works, integrate, and take a shot at something we haven't seen yet. Perhaps things that we haven't even envisioned yet.

Will they succeed? That remains to be seen. Integrating the parts a whole leaves us wondering, What is Next?

We are starting to see forays into different forms and specs. 624 processors will go by the wayside, and I expect many will say good riddance. Style saw the addition of the 3rd Wi-Fi band, but as I'm on a CDMA carrier, they added the demand for Wi-Fi integration on Smartphones just last year. RIM could have installed it, but the demand had to be there.

When I entered the Smartphone world just 2 years ago, they really weren't even on my radar. I needed one, but didn't know it. One fine day in December, a young rep pointed me in this direction. I wasn't a computer guy, savvy to the electronics and mobile networks. That single day changed the way I ran my life. Ten days later, I became a member here, because I wanted to get more out of what I had. I couldn't get answers until I learned the questions.

I tease others sometimes, but I am happy that they have found devices that fulfill whatever 'itch' they may have for bigger or fancier, better screens or faster specs. Personally, their success is driving the changes that will take us into tomorrow. I do welcome that.

When I look up from the Pearl my wife had, to the Curve I started with, from the Tour I have now, to the Style I'll be using soon, I've seen changes that I do appreciate. It gets done what I need done. I do look forward to better.

Oh, one thing that is interesting. We know how mondo the sales of many of these devices is, but beyond the fans of these forums, how many of the consumers of these smartphones have any clue how to exploit them fully? I know a lot of folks who've bought one without a clue of what they can do. Joe average is happy just being able to send a message or watch something on their device. A lot of that can be to a good salesperson making a jaw drop. Yeah, some of these units are impressive to look at.

By the way, I do like the quality of sound from Apple's products, but as my main device, I cannot feel the input of a touchscreen, so typing on them regularly makes that a no-go.

While the Blackberry has traditionally been a business device it no longer really is. It's a consumer device. Once it started taking pics, playing movies/music, and having apps, it most definitely entered the consumer realm! You can see it in their newest advertising... business + fun. It's not as if RIM just entered this realm, it's been a good year or two since they started doing so. They've lagged long enough!

RIM shouldn't wait for demand. Apple doesn't do this. They create demand. They added a front facing camera and facetime and other manufacturers are doing the same. I don't recall their being a demand for such prior too... but there now will be. Lol.

I like your story of how you came to Blackberry. My first one was a 7130e. I'm not sure why I bought it. I like the form factor and how great it was at texting. Funny thing is because I was on a $30 Sero plan with Sprint, I had unlimited internet and was not willing to pay an additional $30 for BIS. So, I did not have Blackberry service for some years. I moved to a 8300 World Phone (loved how slim it was), but missed the camera I had with the 7130e, so I then moved to a Curve 8330. I still did not have Blackberry service. It was only when Sprint allowed a $10 BIS option did I get the service. I absolutely fell in love with BBM! I finally moved to my current 8530. I was going to say I will be moving to a Curve3G, but Sprint upgraded my plan to Sero Premium and as such I can now have any phone on my plan (were as I was previously restricted to certain phones) and I will take a look at the Android and Windows Mobile 7 offerings. I agree with you that I'm not keen on using a touchscreen, but the majority of smartphones are touchscreens and that is clearly where the market is moving to.

First, 'thought' is frequently one of the last factors in the decisions when it comes to purchasing a mobile device. I've been in sales before, and I can tell you from experience, the Wow factor is the biggest part of a large percentage of buyers. Often, a flashy salesman can sell on that factor alone. So many times I've seen folks walk in just because, dangit, they want something 'new'. It's an impulse buy.

But I also help people learn their new devices a couple of months down the road, after they asked themselves, "WTF was I thinking". There are some who buy devices just based on 'awesomeness'.

When I go to buy, I have a plan. I research what something will do and what it won't. I make the decision on what my needs are, which are fairly substantial, because my device serves in a variety of capacities.

But then again, I've never been a 'herd' animal, either. I forge my own path. I just use the tool that works best for me. I don't have to be driven. My attention span is also a lot longer than 90 seconds, so I don't need all the geegaws to wow me.

I definitely like how you think. But, you and I are the exception, not the norm. Most people are sheep. And that is who RIM needs to win over.
    Last edited by hispanola; 12-10-10 at 03:08 AM.
    12-10-10 02:25 AM
    2) RIM makes no money if you keep your phone longer than 2 years, they want you to upgrade every 2 years, that is the business model. RIM will never have Apple like following, so they can't be like Apple, the are a Carrier device, Carriers want contracts, they and RIM wants sales, they do it pretty right, even Apple releases a new phone every year, and people flock to them

I never said that they did. I was only speaking about one particular friend. RIM may not have Apple like following, but from what I remember they still have a larger marketshare then Apple, so I don't see why they can't be like Apple or even Microsoft (which also releases updates in general, not carrier specific). None of what you said addresses why they can't institute model specific (not carrier specific) updates.

3) More OS6 devices are coming, and my Boot time is sub 25 seconds on my Torch, that is NOT too slow at all for a boot time, and reconnection to the wireless network. I only fall behind a couple of emails during boot

You may be the exception. I'd like to see what more OS6 users report.

4) Beg to differ all you want, the vast majority of Business users use what IT gives them IT sets it up IT says what they can install, being in Sales, and working with 100's of business users from different company's on a monthly bases I see users who don't even know they can have apps on their phones and don't even use the ones given until I show them they exist, (doc2go) the Core Corporate user is Still not App focused, IF they were RIM would have lost far more business customers to Apple in 2009/2010 than they did.

I don't differ with you much on this but would like to point out that I know a good number of business users who install apps. More and more this will change. Especially as more business specific apps are released.

8) I said "Win/Win/Win for RIM/Carrier/User on Exclusive Carrier." The user on the Exclusive Carrier wins, because RIM can sell product A to Carrier for higher margin, Carrier Can Discount device Further to entice users, because they don't compete at the device level, just the plan level, The Consumer already on the Exclusive Carrier or the Consumer not on a Plan gets a more heavily discounted hardware phone than if there was competing for the same phone on all networks, as the Carrier will focus on another phone they have exclusivity on for heavy discounting and customer stealing,
    I don't want to assume what you do for a living but I suspect it isn't in the manufacturer marketing and selling field.

I can see that you are in that field. I am a consumer and will look from it with that point of view. If the phone is offer by my carrier then I lose. But if it's not, then I lose BIG TIME! Notice that RIMs 3 top level phones (Storm/Torch/Style) are all on specific carriers. There are definitely consumers losing here.

9) The Curve is an Entry level device, NOT to be compared with Apple devices, you want the perks you buy the premium device, additionally, Bluetooth might not be innovative, but neither is Wifi hotspots, I would sooner see RIM innovate in another way was more so what I was getting at I like the idea of Bluetooth pairing over Wifi broadcasting when I am in places like airports, and conference centers, and I think that is where RIM is thinking, rather that kids at school, or people at parks/coffee shops.
    I have 3 laptops in my livingroom right now, only 1 does not have Bluetooth, there are pro's and con's to both tech. why play ME too?

I refer to one of my previous posts where I detailed how the Curve 3G on AT&T is $99, which is the exact same price as the iPhone 3GS (which is now Apple's entry level device). It is to be compared to an Apple device, but it loses horribly in that comparison. I would like to see RIM innovate but Bluetooth is not the answer. Again, I look at the consumer point of view which is what RIM is trying to court (see recent adds). The consumer doesn't care incessantly about security when their device only allows one WiFi hotspot connection (which is what the majority do and what I would suggest for a Blackberry). They want it to work seamlessly and instantly. They don't want to have to search for a device and pair it. When they are on the road or with someone somewhere and they need to get internet access on their device they just want to turn on the hotspot feature on their phone and have it work right away. No fuss.

10) I agree that a Problem of RIM's is App storage and Media Storage are 2 different sections of memory, that would be nice to be changed, BUT I still see that a device with 4-8GB of Onboard storage with expandable MicroSD ( current max is 32GB) is ample space for a Media Phone, and proper Desktop syncing (ala wireless sync that RIM now has, but needs work on can address short falls of 36-40GB of space, Compression also could play a roll here. as the majority of users do not use the full amount of media storage, so why reduce margins or increase device costs thus reducing sales volume for the select few

I'm glad we agree here. The entry level iPhone has 8gb of memory, RIMs top device can't have the same. I know you look at it from the business side, but as a consumer I see the 32GB card at over $100 and I won't get it. I see $16 cards at favorable prices, but they are class 2 (maybe 4). The highspeed 16gb card cost over $100. We can disagree on this, but I hope we can agree that RIM needs to address this problem.

Btw, I got these prices from Newegg.

12) Please address HOW rim can get AMOLED screens when their is a world wide shortage from the FAB's until Mid 2011, Samsung owns a Fab which is why they use the AMOLED screen, AND more fabs become available more people will use them NOT SETTING RIM Apart, just putting RIM on Par. at best, roll out time for a new device dictates it will take end of 2011/2012 for this to happen

Perhaps RIM should have got on this wagon earlier and be a trendsetter. Another opportunity missed.

17) Purchase 500 phones and then ask why Curve and Bold should be different, The Curve has NEVER been a high end phone, the 8330 was very much a solid build midlevel phone, the 9000 and the 8830 both had clear advantages over the 8330 during it's infancy, RIM needs "fleetphones" that is the Curve line, a Fleetphone/Entry level phone that has the popular form factor for RIM,

No point in debating this here. They've made it entry level unfortunately. But, explain to me how an entry level smartphone with a camera does not have a flash? It's absurd!

We again will differ, I come looking at my wishlist from a Manufacturer side of things, dealing with supply chain and looking for how RIM can provide me with what I want whilst making money to continue to do so.

Again, I look at it from a consumer point of view. That is what I am. The consumer is who drives the smart phone market. They have made it apparent they want more and that is why a number of them are leaving the Blackberry platform. You see things from a business/manufacturer view. Seeing it just from that point of view is detrimental. You could also say seeing it just from my point is view can be likewise detrimental. But, while RIM needs to see things from a business perspective, they need to more and more include the consumer point of view. It's the what they need to do to truly be competitive with Apple and Google's offerings.
    Let's remember this is a wishlist. It's about what we'd like to see forthcoming from RIM. There is no right/wrong or debating needed. :-)
    12-10-10 03:05 AM
    I like the OS6, but any addition that makes it better is welcomed
    What I really want is AppWorld available to all countries and better prices for the Apps.
    I'm coming from iphone, where you could find thousand of apps with just $ 0,99.
    12-10-10 09:33 AM
    With the year coming to a close and 2011 being right around the corner, I thought it time we create a thread where we could express our desires/wishes for occurrence with Blackberries (not playbook) in 2011. Here are mine:

1) OS 7: OS 6 was but a mere stop gap. It needs to be treated like Windows Vista and forgotten about. QNX is the future and the new OS that future Blackberries will run MUST be based on QNX.
    2) OS Updates: All future updates should be carrier independent and unilateral. I know many don't want to hear this, but RIM should follow Apple here. While they have one product, regardless of which carrier carries it, when there is an update, all compatible products receive the update. There should be no reason for example, that the Sprint Curve 8530 received an update at the end of October, and here in November Virgin Canada receives a higher update. The days of 'removing vendor.xml' files must come to an end.
    3) Boot Time: My Curve 8530 takes 5+ minutes (won't tell you actual time because it's too sad) to boot. While I hear that the Torch has a 1:30-2 min boot time, it's still too much. Every second counts when it comes to productivity and I can't afford for my phone to be down for any long period of time. If most manufacturers can get a PC to boot in 30 sec or less then RIM should aim for that target.
    4) Installation: Speaking of boot, too many apps require a reboot upon installation or removal. First and foremost, a Blackberry is a business/productivity tool (or so RIM has forgotten). Down time is money and it's just plain annoying.
    5) Blackberry Defender: Over and over I see many Blackberry users who switch to a new BB or had their phone bricked and didn't backup the info. Automatic and integrated backup via cloud storage is a key feature and selling point that RIM must bring about.
    6) Blackberry Maps: One of the core features of a Blackberry, that in the past was a crucial feature that came in handy in a pinch. Now Google Maps (and other services) have taken over to such an extent that I personally remove it when I do an OS reload. The Android platform which has become one of the chief competitors to Blackberry has integrated Google Maps with turn by turn directions. RIM needs to stop neglecting this feature and bring it at least on par if not surpass Google Maps (Blackberry Traffic is one way to do so).
    7) BBM: Hands down, BBM is the killer feature of a Blackberry. It's the one thing people who move to different platforms state they miss. RIM has done a decent job of keeping it up to date and planned social networking features are one way to keep it innovative. But, it faces challenges (albeit a bit weak) from Google Talk and more recently Kik. To keep it as the top mobile IM platform it needs to incorporate technology features that other IM platforms have, specifically voice and video. Doing so would add another useful business feature for RIM to tout and provide challenges to Skype, Apple (facetime) and Google.
    8) Carrier Exclusivity: This must come to an end! While I'm sure the financial incentive is large, it damages the Blackberry brand. The fact that it's flagship and ONLY completely touchscreen model is relegated to one carrier creates opportunities for competitors (Apple/Google) to gain converts to their platform. It also makes no sense to have your two top models be on carriers where you are second fiddle (AT&T/iPhone, Verizon/Droid).
    9) Wireless: WIFI N has been out for some time yet blackberries are still being released with just WIFI G. RIM wants consumers to pair their Blackberry with the Playbook, well introduce all new models with hotspot capabilities!
    10) Storage: MicroSD capabilities are a good feature for those who want extra storage, but as RIM should want less obstacles with their product (and people are lazy), blackberries need to have more included storage. People are looking for convergence products. To compete with the iPhone and Droid, integrated flash storage is a must!
    11) Gorilla Glass: RIM needs to institute changes along the entire line to differentiate and make it stand out from it's competitors. This is one of them. Plus, it finally eliminates the need for screen protectors.
    12) Super AMOLED: To be the best and compete with the best you have to have the best. And this is just another way to separate Blackberry from other brands.
    13) New Designs: Apple is known for it's amazing and new designs. Blackberries while having made forward changes in the last couple years, it seems the last couple models have been retreads of the same model again and again. New forward thinking designs to attract customers is needed.
    14) Hardware: Some common sense is needed with Blackberry hardware, in particular the ports. Why are the headphone jack and charge located on the side for some models? Put them where they logically belong on the top and bottom accordingly.
    15) Model Names: The draconian numeric model names need to go. No one is interested in remembering the Curve 8330, 8530, 9330 or the differences between them. All they know is that a Curve 3 is better then a Curve 2. In a world were people know the iPhone 4 and Droid 2, it's time for RIM to get with the program.
    16) App World: Where to begin with this bloatware. It needs to be less problematic and more visually pleasing. RIM needs to re-work it.
    17) Ideally RIM would have a product line as such:

Low range: Pearl/Style (8gb flash/3mp camera)
    Mid range: Bold/Curve (16gb flash/6mp camera)
    High range: Storm/Torch (32gb flash/9mp camera)

+1 Couldn't have said it better.
    hispanola likes this.
    12-10-10 10:53 AM
    2) RIM makes no money if you keep your phone longer than 2 years, they want you to upgrade every 2 years, that is the business model. RIM will never have Apple like following, so they can't be like Apple, the are a Carrier device, Carriers want contracts, they and RIM wants sales, they do it pretty right, even Apple releases a new phone every year, and people flock to them
    I never said that they did. I was only speaking about one particular friend. RIM may not have Apple like following, but from what I remember they still have a larger marketshare then Apple, so I don't see why they can't be like Apple or even Microsoft (which also releases updates in general, not carrier specific). None of what you said addresses why they can't institute model specific (not carrier specific) updates.
    Sorry I forgot to address this

The Reason Microsoft and Apple don't release Carrier specific OS's is because Microsoft and Apple don't Sell to The Carrier for infrastructure, in addition to reselling Hardware, RIM sells BIS to the carriers, and different Carriers use different BIS( though really most stay current on the newest update each time) Also RIM Sends OS updates TO carriers to review before the Carriers make them live. because the Carriers need their service books and such to connect to the BIS,
    12-13-10 05:56 PM
    My wish list---> original Bold form factor, touch screen, 8gb of on board memory, 10mp camera, 1ghz processor, super amoled screen, larger file size for truncated emails, QNX OS, and a better web browsing experience....I'm sure there is more but I'll stop there.
    12-14-10 09:16 AM
    10) See New BB's Torch has ample Storage, ample app spacing, that needs to be address, not storage

The first problem is that app space and storage space are not the same. The second problem is lack of included storage space. I use to watch tv episodes on my Curve 8330. I had to convert them to be able to see them properly on the screen and due to space. I stopped doing that. It became tedious and I had an 8gb microSD card. What deceive don't I have a problem doing this with� my iPod touch and iPad. Like it or not, Blackberry is more and more becoming a consumer device. More and more cell phones are being used for more then communication. Games and media are the big things. Why limit yourself and make it difficult for people to use your devices for such. I believe the largest microSD card you can get is 16gb and it's expensive and not readily available in most places. Blackberries already come with included microSD cards (a small 2gb). Why not just include flash storage into the device?

I dont understand why people sit here wanting to play video games and watch movies on a 4" screen. Thats just dumb and stupid. If you want to do that, do home and watch it on a tv. THIS IS A PHONE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

16Gb or 32Gb --- ???? This is pointless. Why do you need all that on a phone. This is why phones are at the price they are >$300.

This is a consumer market, if you want to keep competing; in a couple of years phones are going to get more expensive and be full of **** that people dont use. I have noticed people being less productive with junk on their phones which makes them rely too heavily on a phone. I understand this is the age of computers and all this ****, but be realistic. Why do you want to pay anything over $300 at best for a phone. In a month that phone is going to be outdated and the we will want something else.

Just my 0.02c

Have a nice day
    12-14-10 10:11 AM
    My wish list---> original Bold form factor, touch screen, 8gb of on board memory, 10mp camera, 1ghz processor, super amoled screen, larger file size for truncated emails, QNX OS, and a better web browsing experience....I'm sure there is more but I'll stop there.
    I can understand most of these things, but why would you want a 10 MP camera on a cell phone?
    12-14-10 11:13 AM
    [B]
    I dont understand why people sit here wanting to play video games and watch movies on a 4" screen. Thats just dumb and stupid. If you want to do that, do home and watch it on a tv. THIS IS A PHONE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

16Gb or 32Gb --- ???? This is pointless. Why do you need all that on a phone. This is why phones are at the price they are >$300.

This is a consumer market, if you want to keep competing; in a couple of years phones are going to get more expensive and be full of **** that people dont use. I have noticed people being less productive with junk on their phones which makes them rely too heavily on a phone. I understand this is the age of computers and all this ****, but be realistic. Why do you want to pay anything over $300 at best for a phone. In a month that phone is going to be outdated and the we will want something else.

Just my 0.02c

Have a nice day

It is easier to carry a mobile phone than other devices for entertainment on the go, Airplanes, buses, taxis all are places that make having games and videos on your phone nice.

I have 9GB of documents/pictures on my mobile phone, so price point on the phone being $300 and up isn't an issue, I easily pay 600 for the phone, having the features makes me far more money than if I didn't have the features on hand.

As for "out dated". It takes over a year for your phone to get out dated, it takes a few months to get "off the cutting edge". They are very different, my 8330 was still not "out dated" at replacement time this past fall, it wasn't cutting edge but it did everything that was needed of it.

12-14-10 02:03 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD